Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
tame chick

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 12 11:28 pm    Post subject: tame chick Reply with quote

We have just taken in an orphaned bantam chick about two weeks old.

settled in lovely..climbs up my leg to perch on my shoulder..thinks i'm mum

but thought has occurred that i am setting myself up for problems later..

have any adoptive parents of similar animal got any words of warning ..

advice ...or encouragement ?

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 12 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohyes............
If it turns out to be a cockerel all will go swimmingly until perhaps one day when the hormones kick in, it may just turn on you......and have no fear.
We had Dave, our first LS cockerel who was brought up as a tame chick, perched on Johns shoulder, came running across the place as a youngster all eager to see you.......turn out to be a total fiend. He lasted until he was 2 years until we ate him. Was a very aggresive sod.

If turns out to be a hen it will just always be your pal, under your feet and want to say hello....

nickofthewoods

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 12 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lorraine..but the chick got readopted today by the buzzard while i was in the field !!

Woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 12 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickofthewoods wrote:
Thanks lorraine..but the chick got readopted today by the buzzard while i was in the field !!

While you were there?!

Liz in Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 12 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's natural life.........but

nickofthewoods

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 12 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it happen...the bantams all shout and make for cover...we share our chicks with the buzzards,polecats and foxy...the population has slowly grown to 15 free rangers roosting in the holly at night..in true Darwinian form they are all brown with dappled yellow..a white one we were given lasted 3 hours!

Tania

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 12 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickofthewoods wrote:
I heard it happen...the bantams all shout and make for cover...we share our chicks with the buzzards,polecats and foxy...the population has slowly grown to 15 free rangers roosting in the holly at night..in true Darwinian form they are all brown with dappled yellow..a white one we were given lasted 3 hours!

How sad - even if it is life. I read your first post with a smile and then came to this.

We have a couple of chickens that love to jump up and sit on your back when you are gardening etc - they also love to try and come in - I think they believe they are house chickens - however much we try to tell them otherwise.

shame!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive