Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
One eyed cockerel

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 12:22 pm    Post subject: One eyed cockerel  Reply with quote    

A new Welsummer cockerel that we bred this year, has lost out in the pecking order presumably to the most established cockerel.

Unfortunately the end result is that he has lost an eye. The eyelid is permanently closed, and if you catch him and look inside, it is not very pleasant. Doesn't look to be infected.

Anyone here have any similar experiences? He seems to be coping, but has lost a fait bit of character and is really quite nervous now, and it would be sad to see him go as we really wanted to breed from him next year

Thanks
James

Gertie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 05 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hi James - I know I have read on another forum about someone having a cockerel which had lost an eye.

I know it is said that animals tend to deal well with their disabilities, but I am sure there are exceptions and it may be that your little guy may take a bit of time getting used to things. Hopefully he may regain some confidence - I hope so.

Actually, I am reminded, whilst on about animals with disabilities, of a time that I went to watch a dressage test. Was amazed to see a horse which had lost an eye due to cancer compete and get really good marks - amazing!

hils

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 05 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

This happened to a chicken at the stables I went to as a kid. I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do but they treated the eye with Optrex...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive