Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wireless printer experience?

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 9:43 am    Post subject: Wireless printer experience? Reply with quote

We are looking to get a wireless printer so we print from our Samsung Galaxy Tablets and the laptop.
The Galaxy runs Andriod and the laptop windows 7 - would there be compatibilty problems with wireless printers?
Can the printer sit all by itself in a corner and work or does it have to be attached to a laptop or pc?

We don't need an all bells/whistles one - just something basic.

Any suggestions welcome.

robkb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Kodak wireless printer sits under a desk in my daughter's bedroom, while the laptop is usually downstairs in the living room.

Can't help with the compatability question but if the printer can pick up the wireless signal from your router it should be okay to sit in a corner.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dreadful problems with my wireless printer not recognising the things its meant to, it can be fine for weeks, then it changes its mind and several months later I'm still having to plug things into it. I suspect it happens every time there are reoutine updates to various bits of software

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the printer support "Print from anywhere"? If so from your tablets it should be ok. As far as I know it does it all via an email address you set up for your printer.

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get around the problem by find innovative ways of doing away with the need to print.

Sharing documents is trivial these days as is archiving to the 'cloud' so the need to print is less than it used to be.

For those occasions when printing is required and cable connected printer gives the least problems and greatest choice of models and types.

12Bore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a network printer connected to your router?

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems with the computer not being able to connect to the wireless printer occasionally.

It says that it's offline when it isn't.

BUT if I make sure that I turn on the router first, then the printer, then the computer it seems to be OK.

It's a bit of a faff, but doing it in that order seems to help.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Canon MG3150, cost £39.99 from Currys. We use it in the shop, Steve upstairs, me downstairs. It prints perfectly and wirelessly from all three computers and from my ipad. We have a BT router.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny Outskirts wrote:
We have a Canon MG3150, cost £39.99 from Currys. We use it in the shop, Steve upstairs, me downstairs. It prints perfectly and wirelessly from all three computers and from my ipad. We have a BT router.

That sounds like the sort of thing we can use. If as sgt.colon says its sending to an email address then the Samsungs should be able to talk to it..

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtleyLad wrote:
Penny Outskirts wrote:

That sounds like the sort of thing we can use. If as sgt.colon says its sending to an email address then the Samsungs should be able to talk to it..

Apparently it can - a modest claim here:

"The Samsung Galaxy Tab is filled with many features that trump the iPad, especially the wireless printing feature. Wireless printing can print images from your gallery and even web pages that you’re browsing by simply going into the menu and then selecting “print.” After selecting “print” you’ll then need to choose your wireless printer and wham bam, thank you ma’am, you’re done. Don’t believe us? Check out the video below!"

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtleyLad wrote:
OtleyLad wrote:
Penny Outskirts wrote:

Apparently it can - a modest claim here:

"The Samsung Galaxy Tab is filled with many features that trump the iPad, especially the wireless printing feature. Wireless printing can print images from your gallery and even web pages that you’re browsing by simply going into the menu and then selecting “print.” After selecting “print” you’ll then need to choose your wireless printer and wham bam, thank you ma’am, you’re done. Don’t believe us? Check out the video below!"

Bless - doesn't trump the ipad though, which does exactly the same

MarkS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A relative has an HP wireless printer which has been problematic (or the relative has - difficult to be sure...)

Key thing seems to be the set up. Give the printer a static IP address (or set the router to serve the same IP to that mac address). If you rely on DHCP giving random addresses out then you're in trouble.

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
If you rely on DHCP giving random addresses out then you're in trouble.

That is the route(r) of most wireless printer issues. Fixed IP addresses are so much more reliable.

RichardW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 13 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my third wireless printer. All have been Epsons & each time the set up has got easier & more reliable. Current one (PX730) supports printing from non PC devices (using an Epson app) & email printing. Only had it for a month but so far cant fault it. It also does scanning, automatic duplex & cd / dvd printing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive