Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
3 acres Vale of Glam
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 13 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numberwang wrote:
Nell Merionwen wrote:
The Vale of Glamorgan is astronomically priced. except Barry

Nell is spon on, anything around Cowbridge is silly money. Heard recently even Barry is on the up!

I lived 5 mins down the road from Cowbridge for rather a long time

sueshells

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
Nick wrote:
gil wrote:
Agri land goes for £16k / acre ??? Eh, I don't think so.

It's not far from that round here.

The 28 acres just down the road from us have gone for that very price. People agree it is a bit steep - £10k is more reasonable. But people also agree that land prices are going to go up about 40% in the next ten years. I'm still saving, but I feel a bit depressed about it all .

I read somewhere that bankers and other people with lots of money are buying land as the return is better than that on gold.

Sally Too

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I wonder what price they will actually get for it? I mean asking is one thing.... it's finding a punter to pay the money in the end that counts.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sueshells wrote:
Chez wrote:
Nick wrote:
gil wrote:
Agri land goes for £16k / acre ??? Eh, I don't think so.

It's not far from that round here.

The 28 acres just down the road from us have gone for that very price. People agree it is a bit steep - £10k is more reasonable. But people also agree that land prices are going to go up about 40% in the next ten years. I'm still saving, but I feel a bit depressed about it all .

I read somewhere that bankers and other people with lots of money are buying land as the return is better than that on gold.

It's called 'land banking' - they have no need to make money from the land, which is a hit or miss affair at the best of times, so quite often they don't bother trying. There are loads of pieces of land around here that are reverting to scrub because of land banking. We were very lucky not to have any such competition when we bought our land but I am dreading to think how much we'll have to pay if we ever try to buy more.

chez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
It's called 'land banking' - they have no need to make money from the land, which is a hit or miss affair at the best of times, so quite often they don't bother trying. There are loads of pieces of land around here that are reverting to scrub because of land banking. We were very lucky not to have any such competition when we bought our land but I am dreading to think how much we'll have to pay if we ever try to buy more.

Is it France that has some sort of law that says that if you leave the land fallow for x number of years, it reverts to the Commune? Seems like a sensible plan; it would certainly keep speculative purchasing down; or at the very least, make the land available for lease. (It's a sore point with me atm)

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not only speculators that leave land revert to scrub,

There are a good few smallholdings around here,where the land has been neglected,nature reserves they call them,fields full of gorse ,scrub tree`s,and grass that has`nt been cut or grazed for years,

Sacriledge,when there are people who would be in their elements with land like that to use.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Its not only speculators that leave land revert to scrub,

There are a good few smallholdings around here,where the land has been neglected,nature reserves they call them,fields full of gorse ,scrub tree`s,and grass that has`nt been cut or grazed for years,

Sacriledge,when there are people who would be in their elements with land like that to use.

Very true - I have to say that one parcel of land is owned by an actual farmer who has adjacent land with cattle on. And another piece is owned by the church but rented out but has good 6 inch trees selfseeded on it - I can only imagine it has something to do with set-aside.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
Is it France that has some sort of law that says that if you leave the land fallow for x number of years, it reverts to the Commune? Seems like a sensible plan; it would certainly keep speculative purchasing down; or at the very least, make the land available for lease. (It's a sore point with me atm)

In Britain we have Adverse Possession... also known as squatting.

Bebo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Adverse Possession to succeed you've got to prove you've used the land continuously for a certain period of time (think 10 years is the minimum under the 2002 Act). Has nothing to do with it being left vacant and unused.

One interesting thing about France is their inheritance laws. Historcally the principle of primogeniture applied in the UK and that meant that the eldest got the land. In France it was split up between the offspring. That's why there are so many small-holdings etc in France that aren't worked. They've become too small to be economically viable and they just get abandoned.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
For Adverse Possession to succeed you've got to prove you've used the land continuously for a certain period of time (think 10 years is the minimum under the 2002 Act). Has nothing to do with it being left vacant and unused.

Adverse Possession is the occupation of land which is otherwise vacant and unused.
If you maintain an adverse possession for long enough, you can claim a Possessory Title, which makes it legally yours. The 2002 Act makes this a lot harder, unless the landowner really doesn't care.

Bebo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 13 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
Bebo wrote:

Adverse Possession is the occupation of land which is otherwise vacant and unused.
If you maintain an adverse possession for long enough, you can claim a Possessory Title, which makes it legally yours. The 2002 Act makes this a lot harder, unless the landowner really doesn't care.

Yup, but that's different to what Chez querying might apply in France. That was where unused land would revert to someone else. That skips the having to have been occupied for at least 10 years part.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive