Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cheapest postage for a book?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 2:49 pm    Post subject: Cheapest postage for a book? Reply with quote

I'm shortly going to be selling my book through the website. The postage for Royal Mail is going to be £2.70 First class; £2.20 Second.

Are there any alternatives out there?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds about right for small packets

robkb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right to me.

Let us know when the real book is available, I'd like to get a copy.

alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked it won't go large letter? The book's a given, obviously, but can you tailor the packaging to make it LL size?

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alice wrote:
Have you checked it won't go large letter? The book's a given, obviously, but can you tailor the packaging to make it LL size?

Thanks for the suggestion alice. I just checked it out as a result. I am sure I could find a jiffy bag that just fit - but I fear it's the thickness of the book that's going to be too much

The on-line calculator on the printers site reckons the 321 pages on 100gsm paper gives a spine width of 23.47 mm (whoever thought there would be such a thing as a spine-width calculator?).
With the cover on top it doesn't leave much room for the jiffy bag as LL size only goes up to 25mm. Shame as an LL would only be £1.20. Maybe I could sit on the books before posting?

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robkb wrote:
Sounds about right to me.

Let us know when the real book is available, I'd like to get a copy.

I hope to receive them this week

Will be setting up online sales on the website shortly - doing that through nochex...

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a tip I stoped selling my books this way due to the postage. When people buy them from amazon they can do deals on free postage or cheaper postage than I can. we also came unstuck once when we had orders from the states but the web site only charged uk postage. aghh.

alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtleyLad wrote:
alice wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion alice. I just checked it out as a result. I am sure I could find a jiffy bag that just fit - but I fear it's the thickness of the book that's going to be too much

The on-line calculator on the printers site reckons the 321 pages on 100gsm paper gives a spine width of 23.47 mm (whoever thought there would be such a thing as a spine-width calculator?).
With the cover on top it doesn't leave much room for the jiffy bag as LL size only goes up to 25mm. Shame as an LL would only be £1.20. Maybe I could sit on the books before posting?

I don't use jiffy bags for books now. The bubbles aren't worth incurring the extra postage charge IMO . I use mailing bags, but if I was very concerned about avoiding damage - as you might be, giving you are selling them - I'd look at the very stiff, unpadded, cardboard envelopes that amazon sellers use.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 13 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welsh veg grower wrote:
as a tip I stoped selling my books this way due to the postage. When people buy them from amazon they can do deals on free postage or cheaper postage than I can. we also came unstuck once when we had orders from the states but the web site only charged uk postage. aghh.

Yes, I'll have to make sure I don't get stung with that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive