Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Odd balls of wool

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 13 12:49 pm    Post subject: Odd balls of wool Reply with quote

Is there a place you can find odd balls of wool, like there are china matching shops? Much as I love Sally's sock pattern, I'm not 100% convinced it really only needs 100gms for a pair like it says in the destructions. Or is it the way I knit?

Ran out of wool on the last pair and thought that maybe, as the ball was unravelledy, that I was being a numpty and had already used some of it for something else. However, this was def a new ball and it's not looking good....

Well, the sock's looking great, I'm just not convinced I'm going to have enough yarn to do two

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 13 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigh the bit you have left and see how close you are to the same weight as the done sock. Different brands of yarn do vary in length, but on teh whole, I'bve found 100g enough for a pair of socks in most yarns I've tried, but its not impossible that some brands run much shorter in yardage. What type are you using? You can often pick up part balls on Ravelry if you need something specific

Finsky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 13 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy one extra ball of sock yarn as the way I make my socks, one ball is either very close or not being enough...
So now if I need to buy more, I only need one and make use of the left overs.
Yes...what sock yarn are you after?

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 13 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might strike lucky on Ravelry - people quite often have odd balls of yarn to sell.

shadiya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 13 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, I bought the wool as odd balls in a charity shop specifically to make socks

Both the same brand so maybe as you say Sally, they are just a little under. Dang and blast it. I did manage to find a blue that pretty much matched the first pair, though not quite the same weight but it was half a foot short, and I've only got size five feet. Given that I've not done anything crafty since the last fibre skills weekend, I think it's unlikely that I had done anything with this wool and am thinking I might be half a foot short on this pair too.....

Oh well, the wool is called Viking Narvik chunky and the colour is shade 7904. I'll try a posting on ravelry as well and weigh the sock when I've finished. Which is a good idea but will get me some funny looks in the backpackers I'm sure!

toggle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 13 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 13 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadiya wrote:
Problem is, I bought the wool as odd balls in a charity shop specifically to make socks

Both the same brand so maybe as you say Sally, they are just a little under. Dang and blast it. I did manage to find a blue that pretty much matched the first pair, though not quite the same weight but it was half a foot short, and I've only got size five feet. Given that I've not done anything crafty since the last fibre skills weekend, I think it's unlikely that I had done anything with this wool and am thinking I might be half a foot short on this pair too.....

Oh well, the wool is called Viking Narvik chunky and the colour is shade 7904. I'll try a posting on ravelry as well and weigh the sock when I've finished. Which is a good idea but will get me some funny looks in the backpackers I'm sure!

how about doing the heels and toes in a contrast colour, will that let you squeak both out? Or do the feet in stripes with a different yarn? I have size 8 feet and I usually have a bit left over using 100g aran on 5mm needles for ankle socks. A chunky yarn will usually have less yardage than an aran though as its one grade thicker, that might be where its going off?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 13 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it this yarn? https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/wendy-narvik I can't specifically spot a 'Viking' in there, but it is all Norse names. If so, its aimed at 9mm needles so is a much bulkier yarn than aran

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 13 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Sally's suggestion of making the heels & toes in another colour - or even, if you need extra extra, heel, toe & stripes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive