Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 17 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow has stopped, there's blue sky, and very windy conditions. Himself trudged down the driveway and cleaned the snow off the cars.

And Dave came with his big sturdy truck and its plow

and cleared the driveway

Nice to have backup when there's more snow than what Mr Jam Lord can handle with the ATV and its plow.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 17 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Gregotyn I think people get so used to just calling something up on the internet these days that they think we are just sitting waiting for their call. Even if we had everything cut, we wouldn't be able to load and deliver in the time scale some people want, as we still couldn't get more than perhaps 4-5 loads a day in if they are in different directions. We do try to keep our distances to not much more than 15 miles, but that can still make 30 mile round trip, and several of those in a day along country or estate roads takes time, especially with a full load.

One problem with roads is that central government just isn't giving the money for the repairs. I know you have the Welsh Assembly who doles out the money, but they have to get their money from central government too. Even some of our motorways have bad patches with holes in the top layer of tarmac, and that is Highways Agency.

Jam Lady, the flowers are lovely. Those snowdrops are perfect. Someone has planted them all up the lane towards our wood, and there is a little clump on the track that goes beyond the end to the road which actually goes to the wood. I currently have a bowl of primroses sat on the kitchen windowsill. I can't remember how they got put in there, but I had it outside all summer and recently brought it in as they had started flowering. I noticed the primroses in the woods have started to throw out new leaves, and we have the odd one in flower in the garden, but with their heads well down in the leaves still.

The bigger snow plough looks useful. That looks rather like our truck, but may be rather bigger. We don't have a snow plough as we don't usually get much snow, although some is forecast for this weekend.

I have a course this weekend on split hazel basket making. I have tried a bit of the splitting, and found a way that suits me, and have and idea how to make the baskets, but thought this would show me the right way rather than how I think it ought to be done, and actually get me going on it.

cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 17 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your snow is migrating south JL - we are expecting some on Sunday (though only to 900 metres, so just the cold without the pretties where i am.

The slab is poured and looking better than the one they gave me for the rear extension, but as they were doing the various bits someone one drove a heavy thing over the pipe to the septic tank and cracked it. So I dug it up, bought all the parts, and after some consideration, called a local bloke to come deal with it for me, lol. All fixed now.

I had a trip to Hobart for some supplies, more window shopping of kitchen cabinets, buying an exterior light to have fitted when the electrician comes to deal with the shed for me and so forth.

Billy is settling in nicely, and Seb is being gentle. Smidgen seems to be working on the 'if I ignore it it isn't happening' approach so it's all pretty harmonious. Not so harmonious I will have Billy wandering around the house at nigh, or left in with the dog if I am not there, but still pretty good.

Not sure if I mentioned that Jenny (she of the keys) seemed to have acquired a loom. Well, I went to return the keys to her today and was introduced to it. She found it in a second hand shop for $15.00 and bought it simply because it was so cheap. It looks like rather a wonderful beast though she herself does not want it. So it will be a toss up between Jill (another spinner) and me who gets to keep it.

Since I know nothing about looms or the proper terminology I hope you can understand me when I say it looks like a table loom. It has four levers that control panels of timber that have vertical wires in them. The wires have holes in the middle, presumably for threading the warp, and slide sideways. Each panel operates independently of the other. I am guessing these allow different sorts of weaving (two over, two under, alternating, three and one, whatever), and that as they move up and down they do the 'separate the weft to allow room for the shuttle' thing. The levers are connected to the panels by cords that run over rollers. There is a fixed metal sheet with slots cut in it that looks vaguely familiar and a roller at the front which is presumably for taking up the woven cloth. I assume it is for making yardage rather than panels, but it is a nice looking functional piece that needs a bit of TLC (and possibly some parts, but I don't think so).

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 17 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a truck like Dave's and such a plough-big boy's toys and so on-but I could earn a few bob with one of those in this area. at this time of the year.

You are right that the folks think you do nothing else but store their logs just waiting for their 'phone call and will be their obliging servant at the drop of the proverbial hat. I actually monitor the kindling as I go past and then drop off either that evening if empty, or the next day if there are only 4 left. I rarely leave stock in the stockroom as that would confuse the issue, unless I am going away and then I leave enough for an average of 2 per day's absence. The shop is within 3 miles so a fairly easy job to top up if they are without. I shall check as I leave town tonight and top them up in the morning as I come down to the library.

Central gov't has a lot to answer for regarding roads. I remember Telford being developed as a new town. Because there were high grants for roads they were all in place before they decided what they were doing with some of the places, I think one or two were dug up later-well changed minds I suppose! Our money changes hands twice before we in the sticks get a look-in and we know our little country area doesn't get any thing till the south has had it's share. Although they say that is where most folks live in Wales, so it is fair they get most.

We expect a video to be produced on basket making within the week- enjoy yourself! Another string to the bow. I want to make truggs for gardeners. I have one, but thought I should be able to make one too, but my starts have never produced a finished article that I consider "right".

I am glad the slab is done, Cassandra. And glad Billy is settling in, or at least being sort of accepted by the other two.

You know much more than I do about looms; a warp? sounds like a bent piece of wood to me. Best of luck with that, but if Jill gets the nod, then suggest you share it! Have fun!

Last edited by gregotyn on Sat Feb 11, 17 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 17 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warp is the thread you weave across Gregotyn. Thread goes in two directions, warp and weft - I know that from sewing! So the warp thread is mounted onto the loom and held firm so you can weave across it in various ways for various types of fabric. Take a close look at your tweed jacket and you will find it is quite a different weaving pattern to your serge coat.

Billy got to have the run of the house overnight last night and I actually got a good night's sleep. Some initial hissing resulted in Seb starting to get up, but a hand on his flank and a quiet word were all that was required to keep things calm. And this afternoon he came into the bathroom with me, and Billy was on the chair, so Seb averted his face, Billy calmly hissed at him without bothering to get up and both parties remained relatively relaxed. I will still separate them when I am out, but from now on I think we will all be sleeping in an unpartitioned space.

It will be rather cold tomorrow (a cold front has been drawn up from the Antarctic by the extreme heat on the Mainland) and with snow forecast to 900 metres, a light dusting will be visible from here. I am saving the firewood for tomorrow night as I will be in the History Room all day tomorrow and tonight it is not really cold enough to warrant one (though it has been grey and overcast all day). Hoping for a drop of rain to plump out the plums which are all purple, but not quite ready to pick (I know, I did an experimental journey around the orchard this morning).

They have, of course, all come at once, so I am sending out a call out to friends in the hope someone can come and help deal with them. But so far the only takers have been people who live in other countries, so not much use to me at all, lol.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 17 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of us think that the money goes somewhere else Gregotyn. I saw in our local paper yesterday a complaint about the lack of money for the local major highways. Even some of them here are a bit lumpy, and small roads sometimes seem to get a dollop of tarmac in the worst holes and hope for the best.

The loom sounds interesting Cassandra. From the sounds of it all the bits are there. A table loom isn't terribly fast, but you can weave cloth on it, perhaps scarves and such like. The main thing about setting up a loom is to be systematic. Work out how many threads you want per inch (or cm if you prefer) and make sure you wind them all onto the back roller at the same tension. Then bring each one through the eye in a heddle; I would suggest a 1234 to start with, checking each group as you go. Loosely knot them in front of the heddles then again systematically thread through the reed. Check every group to make sure they are through and there are no double threadings or missed slots. There should be a bar or baton attached to a length of cloth at the front of the loom, so tie the threads in small groups to that, starting at each end and working to the middle. Do a single knot as you then have to check that tension is the same across the width, so they will have to be adjusted until it is. Tie the other half of the knot and you can start. I would suggest either a book or a video on how to weave.

You won't see a video of basket making I am afraid Gregotyn, but I hope to finish a basket this weekend.

Seems the snow may not come quite this far east, but it is going to be cold.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 17 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke this morning to a covering of snow with more falling, but not too bad, the motor coped as if nothing there on the farm lane then the main road had been salted so all go. I delivered the kindling then, leaving him with 15 stock, I came on here. I forgot to ask my neighbour if I can go to watch the rugby this pm-I really want to watch the needle Wales v England match, but don't want to go down to a pub to be in a serious minority of one v the rest of the pub, and I don't drink!

The loom does sound a good one, Cassandra, I will be taking more notice of my clothing from now on. And will be using the casual but apparently knowledgeable approach of "Made on a table loom by the looks of it, I believe".
I am glad that Seb and Smidgeon seem to be accepting the new cat on the block. It is usually time that sorts it out, but occasionally iy doesn't work out.

We are now expecting a picture of your completed basket, MR.

I will be going to visit my farming friend to check on how much he hates a mild winter and so unable to spread manure because his tractor and several tonne spreading machine make a mess of his grass. Frankly I preferred the time when a Massey 65 was as good as it got, but it trod so lightly on the fields, in spite of the extra size of the tyres they put on tractors today they do seem to leave ruts wherever they go, and piles of it on the road too. I think I have said before that we ran 240 acres of ploughed ground and the biggest tractor was about 60 horse power- the friend still uses his Massey 165, (63hp I think), tractor but only to scrape the manure from the cow yards! A sign of the times-but big is not always best and I often wonder if I had gone into farming would I have wanted to outdo my neighbours?

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 17 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting day. I thought I saw something in the garden club newsletter that mentioned Well Sweep Herb Farm having greenhouse tours today, at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Looked at the current newsletter and there's nothing there. So I went grocery shopping in the morning.

Storm coming tomorrow so mobs descending on the store to prepare for the worst! Store undergoing massive renovation, to the point where they are passing out printed maps showing you where relocated items may now be found. And a helper in the front of the store plus another in the back asking if you need help finding things.

Did my shop and came rushing home to put things away then call the herb farm as it turns out the notice was in the January newsletter.

The 2:00 p.m. tour was filled but they added another one at 3:30 p.m. Added my name to the list for the late show.

There were about 8 of us. Guided around through two plastic skinned greenhouses, lots of leaves plucked for us to pass around and smell, a few plants in bloom - citrus with their sweet fragrance and loaded with fruit were my favorite. As I intended I bought one pot each of three different Viola odorata, sweet fragrant violets.

Did get a brief look at their root cellar, with multiple pots of figs sleeping away the winter, plus some boxes of carrots in sand.

If we do get rain rather than snow tomorrow it will be off to the big box hardware store for a replacement drain widget for the downstairs bathroom. I discover it pissing over the floor when I washed my hands.

And that's today's report from BelleWood Gardens. Now I shall go and make dinner. Ta-ta.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 17 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our little tractor is low impact, so doesn't tend to make ruts, but on the other hand I don't think it would pull a very large muck cart either Gregotyn. It is useful for picking up timber from inaccessible areas and doing little damage in the coppice though. I agree about tractors being too big in some ways; we sometimes see some massive ones round here.

We had snow all day yesterday where I was, but it didn't settle and the stuff that fell overnight thawed gently during the day. The place the course is in is a two storey granary complete with saddle stones under it. Rather nice, and with the help of some radiators, sufficiently warm to work in.

Yesterday was splitting off the bits for doing the weaving and preparing the ribs. The last part was doing a 'God's eye' or St. Bridgets cross at the junction of the handle and rim of the basket. Today we get to do the weaving with any luck. I managed to get good long lengths of weavers, but think some of them will have to be cut down as there are weak points where there are knots, and they will be too long to deal with anyway. My hands were really painful after that lot, but seem to have eased a bit overnight.

Had to go to a meeting with husband last night as well. It was the beekeepers AGM and there was a contentious issue to discuss, so it was all hands on board to try to sort it out. Nothing too terrible, but having been working to the same rules/constitution since 1946 when the association was formed, it had been decided that it was about time to reform it along Charity Commission guidelines as the Association is a registered charity. Some people were upset about certain aspects, so a lively meeting. Passed by an overwhelming majority anyway, even though a few people were rather bothered about certain aspects.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 17 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loom is missing the canvas apron thingy - I saw a photo of a complete one on that FB group of spinners, MR. I expect it would not be that difficult to get one made if I can find out who would do that sort of thing (a ship chandler should be able to direct me to a sailmaker, surely).

Rain and wind wiped out my electricity supply last night - from four till nine, just as I was putting dinner on to marinate. So dinner last night was yoghurt and honey as I left it too late to run into Oatlands and get something from the shop. Once the shed is built (familiar refrain) the generator will be in there and so easy to hook up in such circumstances, but I couldn't be fagged dealing with it. When the electrician comes to wire up the shed I will have him insert a power point in the switchboard and then I can plug the house into it when it is running. I presume such an arrangement has some sort of automatic diversion when the real electricity comes on again.

And not much was done today other than reinstating the duvet on the bed due to the forecast night time temps for the remainder of the week. I suspect there will be a 'last hurrah' from summer but it looks like we are working up to an early Autumn.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 17 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the canvas should be too difficult if you can see what is needed. You will need some batons to 'make the cross' and something to connect to the back roller too. Look at one and get the patterns, then I'm sure your Shed in Oatlands can sort you out what you need from their stash if you don't have it.

Did the second day of the course yesterday and I am shattered and aching, but ended up with a respectable basket. Have to recover, absorb the information I have and make another, perhaps in a different design, myself with no help. I was going to try to work it all out for myself, but some things I don't think I would have managed, so the course was useful.

Forgot to say that on the way back on Saturday saw 3 brown hares along the side of the road. I know there are a lot of them around that bit of road, but nice to see so many. Yesterday the person that runs the venue also had some rhododendron of some sort in flower. She said there was one in the woodland garden they came from that sometimes blooms at Christmas. Any ideas Jam Lady?

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 17 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to reply earlier but the powerful winds meant we had a power outage. Generator provides electricity but not Internet. Cassandra, it's set up so if power goes out the generator automatically begins. And it starts itself once a week for just a few minutes to be sure all is in operating condition. Just saying.

Mistress Rose, our growing conditions are different than those where you are. My earliest rhododendron would flower in March, a small flowered lepidote purple, either P.J.M. or Purple Gem.

The visit to Well Sweep herb farm last Saturday was very nice.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 17 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if you had a good time Jam Lady. Most of our herbs winter outside or are grown from seed each year. I have a rose scented sweet geranium that I grow on the windowsill in the winter and sometimes put out in the summer.

After my efforts at the weekend I had a very quiet day yesterday. In the evening we had Trefoil guild and had our Thinking Day celebrations. We each took a flag for a country with Guiding/Girl Scouting, or in one or two cases just Scouting and placed it on a map, lighting a candle as we did so. Both Australia and the US were included. One of the people organising the evening had baked a cake in the shape of a trefoil, and as the youngest (as well as Chairman) I got our two oldest members to help me make the first cut. They are both 91.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 17 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jam Lady, I will explain that to the electrician when he comes.

Today was once again in the History Room with the usual clutter of visitors and conversations between spinning up the last of my Castledale wool, and a second bobbin of corriedale. Castledale is a breed of sheep developed recently specifically for the spinning market. There are only a few of them and the clip is not sufficient to go to commercial tops processing, so they have to stock pile for a couple of years before they have some to sell. It is a nice soft, and snowy white fleece (corriedale is mildly creamier) and about 30 microns. It has a lovely handle, though I have found that I seem to spin heavier with tops than from the fleece, so it generally ends up being about 8 ply once plyed.

I ordered some pre-dyed the other day and am waiting impatiently for them to send the photos so I can confirm and have them post it for me. I find it is not possible to spin from the fleece while in the History Room as flicking leaves little piles of dirt on my leg which transfer to the floor when I stand up.

The weather has warmed up a bit, but tomorrow we are getting some pretty stiff winds, so doing the washing is not going to happen. I will go to sewing and take some knitting with me (including some of the yarn I just plyed) so I can finish off one beanie and make some progress on another in the company of friends.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 17 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should start with "A Happy Valentine's Day" to my friends across the world, (UK time).

The weather has warmed up considerably today and it is almost warm, though somewhat dark, due to being so cloudy. Congratulations on the first basket MR! I think if it hurts as you say then with my arthritic thumbs, it my be an idea not to make the attempt in my case.
It isn't that I don't understand the use of big tractors, they go when others couldn't but the damage of going when others wouldn't are often at the expense of soil structure, just seems so silly when they make such a mess. I suppose I was brought up in a different era of farming, and speed was not everything.

I have looked at the Well Sweep Herb Farm with your link JL, and that does seem a good place to visit-very impressive. I am impressed too with the generator having a mind of its own, how sensible.

I wonder why you don't put a mat down when you are spinning to save the dirt going on the floor, in the History Room, Cassandra, then you can spin if that is what you need to do. I suspect that the dirt is probably good fertiliser too, if you get enough of it-probably spread over 12 months a fair bit. And spinning is a good talking point with the visitors I imagine?
I am beginning to think that it is as cheap to generate you own electricity as it is to buy it from the sellers, they don't reward loyalty anymore, that for certain.

I am now off to bundle my sticks for the man in the village, he is sure to be out by now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 249 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive