Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 370, 371, 372 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 19 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shop in Welshpool every day for lunch, diner and tomorrow morning's break at work. I am going to start not doing it on Fridays. Today it took over 20 minutes to get out of the Morrissons car park due to holiday traffic. They have a set of traffic lights to regulate the exit from the car park, but the traffic coming into town seems to block that exit from the lights at Morrisson's car park as that main road is controlled by lights 300 yards further on. I am coming to the conclusion to do the w/e shopping on Thursday is the best way to go.

When I said it is quiet at the show on the first day, it is, but, there are still a lot of people there. It is an easy run there in the morning but very busy on the way back a bit nose to tail and slow, but no point in overtaking one there is another in front to take his place! There is one good thing, a new bypass for Newtown which I am told saves hours, but it is high up and I don't cope with height unless I am well enclosed, but I might give it a go on the way back when I am in traffic-safety in numbers!

I have been neglecting the kindling recently, but still collecting the basic material for the job and will have to do something about it over the next couple of days. I have been offered a lot more by a friend but he wants it gone quickly-sort that tomorrow morning, but it is out and it is raining quite hard now-oh dear! Lucky to get the haylage done when we did as it would be some time before we could get back onto the ground; I am pretty heavy clay and poorly drained in places, but it pumps out grass, for which my friend's horses are grateful.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 19 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one advantage of clay, as long as it doesn't get too dry and crack up. I remember the house we lived in when I was a child had clay, and the garden produced lovely roses. Dad used to slab up the soil in the autumn, and it more or less broke up over winter.

We have found a couple of sources of pallets and I am afraid we use them to stoke the kiln to make charcoal, but at least it gets them out of the way for the people who have them piled up. Some of the good ones we are using in the log store to keep the cut wood off the ground. It should dry a lot faster that way too.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 19 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fields are of clay mostly, but they all have permanent running water round the perimeters of 2 sides of all of them! so I get grass all the time. Indeed it has greened up quite well since the hay cutting and carting. I don't have grazers in till the hay is made so I never need to add fertilisers, I have been there about 20 years and never had any chemical on the place-but it has never been my living, I have always had a job. If I had wanted to do it my way and no job. I guess I would have needed 300 acres or more to make it break even and give me the income I have now! I thank my previous and current employers for their contributions to my pension!

I am always pleased to find people who can make use of anything for a second purpose, MR. and it is most important to get air flowing underneath seasoning logs. Talking of which I have to get a couple of loads of logs for a friend-no money, just a thank you for all he does for me when I need a helping hand. His rip saw does a better job than mine, which is currently under a lot of wood waiting for me to get home and cut it!

I recycle all the metal ware from the pallets too. I get around 3cwt. of nails every year. The local playgroups benefit from my wood working antics, and I make things for them when asked. It saves them money that they haven't got! And I enjoy that sort of thing anyway, I think I may have said I have done theatres, mud kitchens, raised bed gardens and the like in the past. All good fun.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 19 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

single use and end of life pallets are ace for wood stores, compost bins a source of timber or frame panels, nails, heat etc etc .

as a floor they are ok, as a bed they can be ok if you choose the right ones, for work benches etc with a bit of carpentry and cross laying the bench bit a few pallets can hold an engine or some serious metal working vices.

if you wish to occupy a treetop they are a simple prefab way to build your home.
getting a pallet up a big tree is easier than many folk think.
good for high seats as well

a stack of them filled with assorted tiles tubes rubble sand twigs etc etc and roofed with a sheet of something ( cosmetic planting on top ) to stop it getting too wet makes a great bug house

there have been times when i have ended up with a vanful of decent hardwood ones, various small bits of sd house are made of hardwood cement pallets,

the timbers are only pallet sized and often a bit thin and they have a few holes ( or you have a lot of very short bits ) but as a resource they are ace if you use them well

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 19 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them are pretty flimsy, so they are being used to stoke the kiln. We are only keeping the good ones, and hops to put a good length into the store. At present I have 4 along one edge to keep the log sacks off the floor, and that will meen I can get up to 120 ready. I don't like to lift them more than 4 or 6 layers high as I find it a bit of a struggle, and husband and son are usually busy doing something else. Log sacks are my domain as it takes a lot less bad language for me to fill them somehow.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 19 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my pallets are the standard sizes, euro about 1200x750mm, and the 1200x1200mm. Regret to say that most are of the 9 pallet block type. I obviously prefer solid timber runners, as when they are demolished the blocks, usually of compressed sawdust, are waste; using solid runners or bearers, then I get to sell all the wood as kindling and the nails as scrap! I ought to say that you should not burn the compressed sawdust blocks in your domestic fire places-either the wood burning stove or the open fire. Those blocks are usually held together by an adhesive, which settles at the top of the chimney as part of the the smoke. As it rises up the chimney the adhesive cools, as does the smoke, and it settles on the chimney sides, and has been known to go on fire; one of the main reasons for having a fire guard which can be attached to the side of the fire place.
Preaching over for today!

I agree with you MR. that filling the sacks with logs is a pain, I fill my kindling with a slide-made from corrugated plastic sheet, which I get from work. It takes a bit of messing about when you set it up to get it right, but I couldn't do my kindling without one and have been thinking of doing the same with the few log nets I sell. It relies on the logs being the same length, which if you have a log cutter is a given. You set out to make a 'U' to make the internal width of the plastic the same size as the length of the logs you cut and that you can slide the logs down comfortably, I give the sticks about half an inch leeway. With logs you may need more tolerance, experiment is the best way.

I went to the show in Royal Welsh Show at Builth Wells yesterday. It got hot as the day progressed and I left for home at about 2 pm having arrived around 8 am., I'd had enough! I don't manage hills very well in that I don't like drops to the side. So I was not looking forward to the new Newtown bypass; but it didn't give me any grief and saves an hour on the way home as Newtown is normally nose to tail, the 3 sets of lights-a thing of the past I hope. Not much else to report, but going to another show at Burwarton on the first of August, a one day affair, but draws the crowds in because they have various attractions, and a lot of the pig people go there for the day from South wales to show their stock. I go because I used to live there, and my mother won something with her cooking, a long time ago now-40 years!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 19 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a bagging tray, but there are similar things to yours for bagging logs too. As we do several hundred a year, I prefer the tray, as you can put the logs in it, pull the net over it then tip the logs into the bag. Not too heavy, and just usually have to add a few logs to the top, which is easy enough.

Glad you enjoyed the show, but if it was hot, 2pm was quite late enough. The by-pass sounds a good idea if the road is so busy.

Hoping the hot weather goes over soon, as too much of a good thing at the moment, and could have done without the thunder storm in the night.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 19 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same storm in the night, MR, they tell me, but I saw no lightening or heard thunder, only the rain which was very hard. followed by a beautiful day today.

My chute I put the net over before I fill the chute flat and, when it gets most of the way up, I pick the net to the upright position, and just add enough to allow me to close the net, then, I remove the chute and bounce the sticks down fill to the "point" of tying-around a minute a net to fill and about 1/2 a minute to bounce it down, add more, tie net and stack. My kindling is all stacked in big boxes in an easy to get them out way to be able to do the collect and fill in one go about 3 double handfuls and a few bits to the net! When I filled the log nets I found that quite hard, but I didn't have a chute and the logs were not a very consistent length-chain saw cut by eye, and not my eye!

Last edited by gregotyn on Fri Jul 26, 19 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 19 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having it all the same length does help. We cut ours using the firewood processor, and if it goes in the shute, it goes in the bag.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 19 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there we are! I had been into the library a few moments ago, remembered that I had to go to the garage, left got there to be told to come on Monday instead! I am flexible! However, I posted on here and it didn't go so we are looking at another trial, to see if this works.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 19 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my log in has been successful. The only really successful thing I have done today; work has been stressful for some reason my immediate boss is on my case and I am in his eyes, unable to achieve anything to his instructions. I think he has his brother lined up to take my place, I have been told he is not happy working where he is at present. Time I went anyway, but I am pretty thick skinned, and work does occupy my time, even if I have more than enough to do at home, going to work makes me get up in the morning and get moving. Whereas on Saturday morning I have trouble getting out of bed in time to get here when, in the week I have been on the go 4 hours by 9am.

I have a braking problem with the van and was expecting this to be done today, as the previous post would have said if it had gone through....

Not much else to report, I am hoping to find the keys which I put down rather than take to the show and they have decided to stay hidden in protest against not being allowed on a day out! I know I put them safe but 4 days later is a long time to protest! It is just me and my lack of remembering. They will turn up at some point but it would be good if it was this afternoon and I can get on with some sawing work for the kindling-I've done nothing all week except gather planks to be cut-guess I will buy another hand saw, can't afford another Dewalt!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 19 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if bosses brother is keen on the early start and all the things you do that nobody notices? Hope that the boss calms down and things settle again. Also hope the keys turn up and they fix your van all right. Sometimes you get days like that, and the only thing to do is hope that tomorrow is better.

Having had hot sun for over a week, it has now decided to rain when we need a sunny day. Hoping it goes over quickly.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 19 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start at 7am officially, but I'm always there earlier to get all ready for the boys when they arrive and also make the "early start" mechanic legal, in that he has to have another person present when working in the workshop. Something to do with "elf 'n safety". I am immune as I don't have any tasks to endanger me it appears, and I like the solitude for a while, eases me into the day.

I am getting forgetful so I think it is time to move to a life of leisure at home, chopping kindling and logs, and setting up a new veg plot-to keep me out of mischief!

There is good news today and the man who is helping-he is doing it in reality-has found the bits we need to make the 'sceptical' tank work again; about 40 feet further down the field. And to that end I have been shopping for pipe parts this morning. It appears that there are all sorts of things there that I didn't understand and he has them worked out, mainly by looking at how and where the vegetation is growing and how green it is, things that he as a countryman would be brought up on whereas I as a townie, who only wanted agriculture as a life, had to learn it all out of a book first before I knew anything-and that the only way to learn was to get it wrong first time, and hope it didn't cost too much! Agricultural colleges taught all the theory and only some practical, but not all I needed to know!

The bad news is that the keys have not turned up so it will be buy 3 new padlocks and get the disc cutter out and cut the old locks off, but the cutter is in a shed!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 19 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's always the way isn't it. Is it possible to take the screws out of the hinges and open the door that way, at least on the door to the disc cutter? No doubt the keys are hiding and will only materialise when you get new padlocks.

As far as health and safety is concerned, single working isn't a good idea for anything, so I agree with two of you being in early 'just in case'. If common sense is used and possible risks thought about health and safety should be what is was designed for; to stop your employer putting you in a dangerous situation.

Having been working in the woods for a few years now, I would have looked for areas that were particularly green or growing nettles to look for an outfall or crack in a pipe from a septic tank. Nettles are a pretty good indicator of anything like that. We have some in the woods where there used to be pheasant feeding sites for the same reason. I was brought up by parents who lived in London, but knew quite a lot about the country, even though I did indoor work for many years, so did learn a few bits about country lore.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 19 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a blitz on the finding the keys where I thought they were over 2 days and the little dears have grown legs. So it is a lock picking exercise, and new locks; they were £100 about 6 years ago for 3! I regret that the hinges on all the doors have no exposed fixings to be able to take them off, but I like the thinking!

Regarding the early working, I make 'him' legal as he is a mechanic. Me alone is ok as I am doing nothing strenuous, mainly clerical between 6am and 8am., give or take. My boss has taken to turning up at 7.30, so then I get stuck in to the real stuff, of distribution of the over night deliveries which I have booked in.

The field in question has horses on normally, and it is prone to clumps of grass as they don't clear up on a daily basis, quite annoying, as my customers are the same, and I let it on the principal that they clear the manure and put it in a pile-wheel barrow provided. The foot could well be planted this year if it doesn't happen. The lad said one day about the grazing they have at home about how well the grass looks in the middle of his field and I gave him the answer that if he cleared the manure up his ground would be evenly growing, and he could well be self sufficient in grazing and not need to trouble me!

I am away this w/e, so won't be on air till next Tuesday-the next available library day. My friends in Bridgnorth are having a party, 1 of the children, and two of their grandchildren. And on Thursday we are going to the Burwarton Show. Why we go there and see the same things every year I just don't know, but we do, and enjoy it. It is a big show for a one day affair, and weather permitting is well attended annually. I go 'cos there are pigs a bit like the Royal Welsh, the pigs.

We have had our first rain for some time today, quite heavy at work, and of course I am landed with going out in it to do "things", I am expendable! I am sure they have a.n.other lined up for my job, but I will only go when I am pushed. I sometimes wish it was sooner rather than later. I am getting together a few things to do when I do decide to go to supplement the pension, which will include a few car boot sales in summer. Back next Tuesday!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 370, 371, 372 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 371 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive