Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 373, 374, 375 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 19 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sycamore is very vigorous, and hard to kill so not surprised it is doing so well. Perhaps when you have the others cut to size, you should get them recut on a regular basis to keep them under control.

The problem with kindling splitters is that they are all designed for round wood as far as I can see, which isn't much use for you with pallets. We have found a useful source of pallets for our charcoal kiln as we need several for the initial stoking. They are glad to get rid of them as they have to pay to have them taken away, and they are only the other end of the village, so not far to go.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 19 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like our local stuff at this time of year, we only get one season for the warm weather stuff but it is rather nice.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 19 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trees that were cut about 6 weeks ago are well ahead in recovery terms. Where I thought I had a pathway has become all foliage, vigorously growing-looks like I need to get the salt out! But, now I can manage the problem which I couldn't before.

I take a certain amount of blocks to a man who has a machine that cuts blocks into kindling, but not as well as I can, but larger cross sections take a lot of wrist jarring when cutting by hand and so he cuts the 6x4 and 4x4, my wrist will do the 3x2 and 4x2. The draw back is that the machine does not like the short length I cut-6" for me. His machine has to have 6 and 3/8"ths to make a good job and I still check them before, and as the kindling is packed to be sure. I convert my sticks at around 80%, his is nearer 65% with the machine. This is my fault as I want straight sticks, not curly, and those I cut for nets are straight
The friend's kindling machine is the same as an X shaped, log splitter but travel in and out faster to get the small sticks rather than the bigger logs. Not the best, but saves me hours, even as I have to check them all for embedded nails and some degree of straightness.

My school friend is coming over from Australia again and we are meeting up for a night out. His wife is staying with her stunning sister in Birmingham, a girl who I took out twice, but never got myself into gear. She is still very attractive company at 65yo-but I don't have any designs on her! I can sit both sides of my fire place and no arguments!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 19 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regrowth will come on fast as the tree still has risen sap to support less foliage. It might be a bit frost tender, but should be safe enough by the time it gets very cold.

I hope you enjoy seeing your friend and their family.

I lifted the onions yesterday, and as we were expecting rain, put them in trays in the greenhouse. Just for once I had a pretty good crop; usually they hardly grow at all, but these were all reasonably respectable onions. Also had plenty of blackberries.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 19 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that grows well with me, MR, is blackberries, they are a good crop this year. They expand every year so soon I will be culling a few as I can currently pick from my back door right round the perimeter of every field at my place, and though it is only 5 patches it is a lot of blackberries! I have to think which trees to cull too I have several massive ash trees and lots of their offspring too, their babies are becoming weeds, big ones!

We have had some rain here, though not a lot, but it always comes when I am going to work, or when I get home when I can do without it, message to anyone,-please bring the rain over night and dry the roads by 5 am! One more day at work and another busy w/e ahead. I am chopping wood at home to relieve the pressures that develope in the winter when it is cold!

I seem to be getting on better at work now, had a period where nothing turned out to the delight of my "immediate" boss. But one way or another things are getting better. I don't take a lot of notice as my job is black and white. But I get called on by all above me 'to can you just do this or that' rarely with a please or thank you, but the money compensates well enough.

Back home now to saw wood for you know what!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 19 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity they are not more polite to you. The thing is, if you weren't there, they would suddenly find out how much you do and how much they depend on you.

Our blackberries are doing well now too. I still have a load in the freezer from last year, plus plenty of bramble wine on the go and some bramble jelly, so I am just picking what is in the garden at the moment. The ones I cut right back to a few main stems about 4' long are now a rampant patch again, so plenty I can pick and quite a lot I can't get to. We were going to put in some frames for them to grow on but husband ran out of enthusiasm.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 19 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really good chop-in yesterday when I got home and did 8 nets in 3 hours from de-nailing to sawing to chopping and netting up, It means that if I get behind I am in a position to at least do the next day's amount quickly. My stock to get through winter is well on schedule; I am now well past Christmas and around 350 nets. I have also given some to a little lady who has just started in the town with a store that sells all sorts of "stuff", stock from the now defunct ironmongers, they used to sell kindling, but the lady didn't take that on, and the old shop itself the couple are keeping and will be using it to be their home! My lady is in a suck it and see situation as she doesn't seem to have a lot about her. I hope to supply her with small bags throughout the year. They are easy to do and it will make me eat more fruit!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 19 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it then that she also sells fruit. Hope she makes a go of it one way or another. It sounds as if your kindling is popular locally.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 19 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, MR., the lady in the shop hasn't diversified into fruit. It is me who will be buying more fruit to put her sticks in the bags that I brought the fruit home in, and I will get healthier, in theory! I use those very small poly bags they have in super markets to put loose fruit and veg into off the shelves. It was how I started into the kindling "world". I like at least a second trip for any polythene bags I have. It surprises me how many people pay and use their super market carrier bags once only. The mini ones I have do at least 2 trips and I keep my pens in one at work when they loose their pen tops, saving ink going all over what it shouldn't!

Kindling is still popular, last w/e I put 5 nets into the shop only to have to put another 5 nets into the shop today, but it is summer? Guess the visitors are drying out the cottages after the winter-my theory only. I don't have any heat in the house at home and a hot water bottle if it is cold at night. For some reason I don't feel the cold as I used to do in the caravan. In the summer I share the bin I put the kindling into with the charcoal supplier; I can only say there haven't been many bbq nights round here!

I don't know whether I said the stores manager wouldn't supply me with boots as I "sat down all day on my fat a..e, and didn't move till break time and anyway I only do half days"-6 hours paid and I am always there early to make the early mechanic "legal" when he is working. So, I had to buy a new pair of boots for myself-Australian and very expensive-but so comfortable. The "boy" has now relented and given me a new pair company boots. It gives me great pleasure to change into my own boots in the office and the "boy", as my manager watches on!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 19 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what state your diabetes is, but veg would be better for you than fruit, as fruit contains sugar, all be it mainly fructose, but that does convert to glucose, so go careful with it.

Your boss sounds a charming man. He may have suddenly noticed that things get put on shelves etc.

We did a show yesterday; not bad weather, and a new site, which was good, but if it was very windy, could be rather difficult. There was a very entertaining arena event on gun safety, which drove DIL to use her ear plugs as she hates sudden bangs. Didn't do too well, but hope we might get some orders from it.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 19 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is the third, concluding day of the Labor Day weekend which, unofficially, marks the end of summer. It's raining today. But that is - sort of - O.K. Why? Because Saturday was the plowing match at the living history farm of which I've told you before

and yesterday was Riverfest in our town. Hoards of tourists, a couple of streets blocked off, vendors, musicians, food and fun.

Two days of decent weather out of three . . . mustn't complain.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 19 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good looking beasts, the first large animal i got to know was a heavy horse, i'm not a horsey person but the big uns are nice
even if i have had few chums among the smaller ones most equines have been less than friendly or biddable to me

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 19 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any photo`s of the ploughing match Jam Lady?

I`m looking at the differences in the harness used over here.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 19 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you ever know me to go anywhere without the camera, Ty Gwyn? It rained today so I could not get out into the garden. Instead I created an entry for the plowing match.

Plowing Match at Howell Living History Farm

Let me know but I think some of the images should be helpful.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 19 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting blog. I have actually seen cows using an ard, an early form of plough which didn't turn the soil but cut a groove in it. They were Dexter cattle and Butser Ancient Farm had a pair to start with, then their calves afterwards.

We emptied the kiln and bagged charcoal yesterday. Virtually pure birch charcoal which is just the opposite of what you would expect. It is dense and shiny and is pretty solid stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 373, 374, 375 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 374 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive