Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 20 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are getting the logs out and your besom folks are all happy MR. I often wonder why I don't do logs all the year round and so when asked, they are here ready, but guess they would not season in a net as well as when in the log in their own time. The ones that are done by a local lad are wet through. He annoys me by putting his logs on the top shelf and moving my sticks to the bottom shelf where the rain gathers A dry stick will start a fire with a wet log but not the other way round!

It is probably the case that I have been eating too much sugary stuff lately. I was type 2 diabetic once and recovered from that by common sense, and 2 ice buns a day and no other sugar-the nurse who told me I had got over type 2 did not think my true ice bun story was funny! I need to get weighed soon sometime too. But another trip to the doctors is imminent I feel. With cooking at home the standard ready meal, I suspect I am eating more preservatives than I should be. I am hoping to get the "girl" who I go to the "aged swimming" sessions with to get excited with cooking proper food for me. At present we are at the firewood stage and she gives me a meal to say thankyou. I know how to undo a ready meal better than most! And of course there is always a fish from the chip shop-no chips though. Making an appointment with the doctors' is an ordeal in itself now. You queue at the "back window", a girl appears and then you tell her you need to see a doctor and you go round to the front door and you are met with the "gun to the head" nurse who presumably says yes or no depending on the temperature. My guess is that if you are the wrong temperature you get sent home to die, or not before you try again!

I thought a funny thing when I bought a new hot water bottle 2 days ago. The make of the bottle is "cassandra", so if I say I went to bed with cassandra last night, you will all understand-on which note I will see you all on Tuesday at some point

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 20 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can stack the filled nets somewhere dry they will season well. Just be aware that the nets don't like sun though. One of our outlets kept them in a greenhouse and we had to provide new nets as the old ones disintegrated. As most of our logs are split, they dry out faster in the nets than in the log in the stack.

I would also watch how much sugar is in the ready meals. The worst culprits are the 'low fat' ones. They replace the fat with sugar to make them more palatable. Look out for the bit on the back that states the 'carbohydrates of which sugars'. 1 teaspoonful is approx. 5g, and it is quite common to find over 20g of sugar in some things. That will include all sugars, so for instance a completely plain yoghurt with no added sugar will still contain some as it is in the milk as lactose.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 20 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the gen on the carbs and fat, MR. I didn't know that they are clever so when you look for sugar the same taste is supplied from elsewhere, and just as bad if too much. That is a blow in some ways as I like yoghurt-it taking a long time before I would even try it, then I started to realise what I was missing-obviously failed to use the food "gen" given in agricultural lectures-5 years worth. Goodness knows how I passed exams in 3 agricultural colleges, I had more brain power when I was young, I guess! Now I wake up in the morning and check if I am alive. I have made contact with a "set" of friends who I sort of fell out with when I was so busy. I saw the Mum and one daughter walking and we had a chat as you do. Next thing at about 7 pm-I'm in bed by then-a knock at the front door and she has arrived with a basket of 4 meals and 2 other "tasty bits". I get out of bed go down to the back gate as that is locked at night and the front door doesn't open the hinges are done for, so I blocked it up in such a way as to be able to get out if in a hurry!
My nets are stored inside, both filled and empty In a locked shed. I have a drying shed, well a lean-to, I think I said before for timber. It is a shed whose end blew out just after I had gone past it and landed on the entrance gate; the other end, part of the shed fell out after a snowfall from the roof above of the big shed, onto the lean-to drying shed attached to it. A favour in disguise as it saved me making a drying shed to combat Welsh weather-rain! So all incoming wood went into that shed for a few months to be sure it is dry, chops easier that way too and lights fires faster. Talking of nets I have got some on order now-another 4000! I will be at it for years. I discussed whether he wanted me to stop now or not!

There is a delivery service from Suffolk somewhere for ready meals which a friend has delivered once a week. They are supposed to arrive frozen, but as he says, they come in ordinary van so not so cold when they get to Wales There was also a meal service offering an introductory offer on a flier through my door and I thought about it. and said no. It means switching on the 'fridge. I have to go to the firewood outlet every day, so I buy from them anyway on account.

The next thing I want to quiz anyone about is how to make "things" out of twigs. A neighbour wants to know if I can make those small round plant holders using twigs-I wondered if anyone knows of a book to show me how or if it is so easy it comes automatically-nothing lie that ever happens to me! Firstly what is the right twigs and from which trees to use? do they need to be moistened for example? I picked up 3 hazel shoots last night and they bent well, but only in a big ring,. The one I saw was about 10 inches diameter round piece of wood for the base, with a coil of twig about 1/4 inch diameter all round the edge and it looked good, but difficult. Is there a book which will give me the info? does anyone know-please? I would guess at fresh wood for twisting wood in such a way, but what wood won't split or break for such small twigs! It was very attractive and highly polished-I just want to know how to make it!
Time's up they are cutting me off!

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 20 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the gen on the carbs and fat, MR. I didn't know that they are clever so when you look for sugar the same taste is supplied from elsewhere, and just as bad if too much. That is a blow in some ways as I like yoghurt-it taking a long time before I would even try it, then I started to realise what I was missing-obviously failed to use the food "gen" given in agricultural lectures-5 years worth. Goodness knows how I passed exams in 3 agricultural colleges, I had more brain power when I was young, I guess! Now I wake up in the morning and check if I am alive. I have made contact with a "set" of friends who I sort of fell out with when I was so busy. I saw the Mum and one daughter walking and we had a chat as you do. Next thing at about 7 pm-I'm in bed by then-a knock at the front door and she has arrived with a basket of 4 meals and 2 other "tasty bits". I get out of bed go down to the back gate as that is locked at night and the front door doesn't open the hinges are done for, so I blocked it up in such a way as to be able to get out if in a hurry!
My nets are stored inside, both filled and empty In a locked shed. I have a drying shed, well a lean-to, I think I said before for timber. It is a shed whose end blew out just after I had gone past it and landed on the entrance gate; the other end, part of the shed fell out after a snowfall from the roof above of the big shed, onto the lean-to drying shed attached to it. A favour in disguise as it saved me making a drying shed to combat Welsh weather-rain! So all incoming wood went into that shed for a few months to be sure it is dry, chops easier that way too and lights fires faster. Talking of nets I have got some on order now-another 4000! I will be at it for years. I discussed whether he wanted me to stop now or not!

There is a delivery service from Suffolk somewhere for ready meals which a friend has delivered once a week. They are supposed to arrive frozen, but as he says, they come in ordinary van so not so cold when they get to Wales There was also a meal service offering an introductory offer on a flier through my door and I thought about it. and said no. It means switching on the 'fridge. I have to go to the firewood outlet every day, so I buy from them anyway on account.

The next thing I want to quiz anyone about is how to make "things" out of twigs. A neighbour wants to know if I can make those small round plant holders using twigs-I wondered if anyone knows of a book to show me how or if it is so easy it comes automatically-nothing lie that ever happens to me! Firstly what is the right twigs and from which trees to use? do they need to be moistened for example? I picked up 3 hazel shoots last night and they bent well, but only in a big ring,. The one I saw was about 10 inches diameter round piece of wood for the base, with a coil of twig about 1/4 inch diameter all round the edge and it looked good, but difficult. Is there a book which will give me the info? does anyone know-please? I would guess at fresh wood for twisting wood in such a way, but what wood won't split or break for such small twigs! It was very attractive and highly polished-I just want to know how to make it!
Time's up they are cutting me off!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 20 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are eating yoghurt Gregotyn, go for the plain, ideally live type and add things to your taste, like a bit of fruit. That gives you no added sugar. I have looked at some of the 'low fat' ones and the amount of sugar in them is horrific. I have learnt most of this since husband became diabetic, but it is probably better for me to have a lower sugar diet too.

4000 nets should keep you out of mischief for a few years. I am filling them quite fast at the moment, and will be doing more once husband and son get me some more wood.

There are several ways to make the plant holders. If you want the sort with flat bits of wood to make a round one, you need split hazel for top and bottom, and a friend of ours who makes baskets in that style uses thin western red cedar boards for the bottom, and I think most wood split for the sides. You need to split the hazel, then either steam bend it round a former, or using a knife, thin it down until it is flexible. Then bend it round a former and fasten it. Leave for several days, and take off, then use. An easier way is to use thin round hazel. Cut about 5 pieces the same length, then pin 2 the same length at right angles to hold them together. Use another 2 slightly longer at right angles again, and so on until you get to the right height for the pot. You can add a bent handle if you like.

As far as the bought in meals are concerned, the ones from Suffolk arriving defrosted doesn't sound like a good idea. The cheaper meals are, the less good they are likely to be in general as they will be mass produced with cheap ingredients. It isn't too late for you to learn to cook. A lady I knew years ago had never had to look after herself as she had servants, but when she returned to the UK in 1947 on the independence of India and Pakistan, she came back to not only fending for herself, but to rationing too. She told me she went to bed with a cookery book and gardening books alternate nights, and by the time I knew her in the 1970s, she was pretty knowledgeable.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 20 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister in law eats loads of low fat supermarket product, horrifically high amounts of sugar. She had a tub of coleslaw in her fridge with 38g of sugar in it, why???

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 20 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief.that`s around 9 teaspoonfulls.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 20 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I was gobsmacked. It was Tesco Finest a few years ago.

So easy to make at home, even with shop bought mayo I'd think it's impossible to achieve that amount of sugar in a tub (must have been 250-350g)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 20 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at low fat bought mayonnaise, it too contains high levels of sugar, as I looked at it once for husband who is diabetic. However, home made will have a lot more veg and less mayonnaise than bought stuff.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 20 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tending to eat ready meals as I said. However, there is a company who deliver ready meals which are vacuum packed and so are ready to eat with micro wave cooking and so easy for me as a non-cook. The ready meals are good to look at and main courses only The offer is £19.99, delivered, for 10 meals, and said to be next day. I will report if it works out-otherwise I will deny all!! I remember stopping having sugar in tea many years back. I worked for a timber company and was a foreman. The boss, my father-in-law to be, stopped giving money for sugar in tea, so I told him I would stop using it anyway and I did. I have saved a few bob!

My kindling nets are stored inside, both full and empty, MR, in a large shed I had built a few years ago, costing £6k., a good investment at the time, but inevitably I wish I had built it twice the size; the latest quote for one the same size is now double, so that is something I will get over not doing, and start to gather sawn timbers as and when I see them. and make my own. It is surprising how much space an empty shed appears to have, 'till I start to fill it, with things I can't throw away.

I have been given a pallet to demolish which had a garden mower delivered to a friend. When I saw it yesterday it was dry but today when I went to collect it had absorbed a lot of over night rain so into the drying shed and hope for rapid drying, but I doubt it. I have an old lorry body to put dry wood into but it is no use for drying unless you can have the doors open and that is not sensible if you have the wood by the roadside.

A friend came to see me earlier on today, we worked at a local firm making car parts and we were forklift drivers and became friends. He has retired like me, but lives in a council bungalow and having been a farmer as well he hates the village life he has now and is rarely at home. He asked me what I will do when I want to stop "doing" and I said that I would get a council bungalow like him-but next door. It appears that the idea is that they are for the elderly who have no money, and one must not have more than £4000 cash to your name or the rent will be enormous. Well the friend got his capital down by buying cars-he now runs 5 vehicles. Why he didn't give the money to his daughter, I really don't know, but he said I must not have a decent capital sum behind me if I want to move to such a dwelling. I am not sure I could cope with one bedroom, one living room, a kitchen and a bathroom I could fill his bedroom with clothes alone. I would like to stop working as I do at home, so think I may look for a seaside place in North Wales somewhere and give my friends' children an early bonus and reduce my death duties and learn to relax! In the words of a song-"I think I had better think it out again"

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 20 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antiques are a good currency if chosen well and secured safely:wink:

the letter opener on my desk at the mo is rather special

in less "bouncy" terms good advice from a trustworthy solicitors, note the trustworthy bit and trusts can be useful

the basics are you deserve an income etc from what you have collected over a lifetime and you would like that to pass to your heirs having enjoyed it.
it can be done, plan a lot with good advice, spend a bit and feel comfortable that things are sorted, then have loads of fun

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 20 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you would be happy in a council house if it is as small as you say Gregotyn. I would think about something a bit closer to civilisation, but not too close so that you can be by yourself or with others, whichever you wish.

It is amazing how an empty space looks so huge until you start putting things in it isn't it. Then somehow it shrinks and you can't get anything like as much in as you think.

Spent a busy day yesterday with log sacks and a log load delivery. Son had to go early, so I ended up doing a delivery that involves stacking. We don't do many of those these days thank goodness. It absolutely tipped down with rain on the way there; windscreen wipers on fast speed made it barely possible along the country lanes, so everything was wet and my 'waterproof' fronted trousers got quite wet leaning over the back of the tailgate to get the wood.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 20 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the same opinion MR., ref. the council bungalow. I have neighbours now and they are good to me, but we are not in each others' pockets-they come when called! They are horse folks, he being a stunt rider, she being a rider and teacher of riding. I spoke about the falling off horses in films and he said he falls off and the star of the show gets off before they fall and he gets on and falls then the star gets on whilst the horse is on the ground, simple-haha. So I may just stay where I am for a while longer. The curse is that thecouncil rates are high and the services poor. Gritting is done in the winter when the rates of pay go up dramatically for lorry gritting at night. In the next breath I was grateful because I went out at around 5.30 am and the ice had mostly gone-easier driving!
I have an idea for unloading logs from the back of the pickup which could help. Put a layer of thick tarpaulin on the base of the pickup and as it gets to the bottom you can pull the whole thing with the reduced load towards you. If it is still too much for you to pull the base, attach a rope to each rear corner of the base and to a lamp post/tree and drive forwards; I am not saying it is perfect, but I have done onloading like this before and it reduces the lifting over the sides or climbing into the back-but in your case, I would get the men of the gang to do it as you have to get their meal ready and stay at home!
I have an order for a log store "about" 4ft. wide and 4ft. high and she said log size deep-a townie for you!
I am glad to say we haven't had the rain you have...yet... it was promised yesterday, but a lovely day. I spent it looking for a dish which I have lost somewhere???? It is a story, a lady I met in the library and swimming-don't ask-came from the same town/road as I did 60 years ago. We are now friends and I have done some work for her on trees and so on; for her side of the bargain she gives me food!..... so how do you loose a pyrex dish about 2inches deep and about 18inches diameter which had a lovely stew in it for not too long? I am guilty as charged. I have spent days looking for 2 dishes to replace it as it may happen again, but to no avail. I guess it is the internet for a search.
Firewood selling like mad I am into stock I had hoped to keep till after Christmas, but no worries...I will just chop on-even if the arm is sore!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 20 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem the councils have is that they are not getting as much from central government, and they are not allowed to up the rates above a certain amount, so they have to cut services. Our county council is talking of cutting everything it doesn't have to do my law as the government hasn't given them enough extra to cover the costs/losses caused by Covid 19.

We have a device that straps onto the tailgate of the truck and winds the logs off in the way you describe Gregotyn. We have a crank handle to do the winding and it will deal with a full load of logs in a pick up. The first one we bought is great, but the second was made of worse quality plastic and broke fairly quickly, so we only have the device on one truck and if we use the other we have to unload by hand, so we tend to use one for log loads and the other for other things.

I have finally got some knitting to do. The sock monster seems to have eaten most of my long socks, (a thing that follows your pyrex dish in going AWOL in our house), and they aren't long enough anyway, so I got some more wool yesterday and have started knitting myself some more.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 20 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went shopping with a friend yesterday, the one in the council bungalow and he hates it too, but his comment about the roads was that in our area the roadsides are no longer looked after by a "Linesman". I remember that years ago a man would "do" a stretch of roadside hedges and verges, leaving a red flag at each end of the length of road he was going to do that day. He would stack the long offcuts from the hedge, where they would be left on the verge to rot, sweep the roadside after wards, leaving the stacks of grit at various points along the length and they would be collected by a lorry. Too much money now.
There is a thing of the past for me-hand knitted long socks; they cost an arm and a "leg" to buy now and not as good as my mum knitted. I have a lot of "Christmas socks". These don't compare to hand knitted ones. I have a couple of pairs still in use from 60 years ago a bit ragged on the tops where they get pulled on, but operational. If I have new socks it becomes 2 pairs to fill the boots! Do you take orders MR., for socks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 421 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive