Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Anyone have experience of external wall insulation?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 13 4:55 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience of external wall insulation? Reply with quote

We've been offered a grant to get our solid wall house insulated externally, which includes being fully rendered. As we are on solid fuel the grant is 100%, so seems a really good deal. It is not a scam as it has come directly from the Energy Savings Trust, and is fully guaranteed for 25 years. There is one house having it done in the village near us, and they seem to have done a good job. But has anyone got any experience on here of getting external wall insulation?

How did the outside look after it was done? What affect did it have on your heating/comfort levels? Are there any questions we should be asking the installers?

Our main concern is what it will look like externally, as at the moment our house is half rendered and half exposed stone work with detailing around the windows, which we would lose if it was fully insulated and rendered. But we know that these types of grants aren't going to be around forever, and the cost of heating homes is only going to go up. It will also hopefully make our house a lot warmer, which we struggle with at the moment. So its a trade off between looks and warmth

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 13 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume this is the 65-70mm insulation board secured to wall and rendered over,one of these Green energy guy`s was trying to sell me that under the Green Deal,till i pointed out to him the type of soffits fitted to an 1840`s house,which after having a grant on,now has air vents in soffit.

I would say go and have a word with the person having/had done in the village.

When you mention a 100% grant because your on solid fuel,don`t you have to change to a green/bio fuel to gain this grant?

Personally from my experience in the building trade,i would`nt bank to much on the 25yr guarantee,i reckon the render will crack way before that.

12Bore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 13 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chap round the corner had it done to his 1840's cottage earlier this year, took about three weeks, inc new render.
He could tell the difference immediately and reckons that his bills have plummeted.
Cosmetically, if you didn't know, you'd never tell.

Hettyb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 13 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our neighbours had it done and it looks well. They say the house is warmer too

roobarb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. We had heard similar comments about bills falling and the warmth of the house, which is really what is driving us to want to take up this offer.

Quote:
When you mention a 100% grant because your on solid fuel,don`t you have to change to a green/bio fuel to gain this grant?

The grant, through Energy Savings Trust Wales, is available for anyone who lives in a solid wall property, and doesn't have access to mains gas (don't need to be on benefits etc.). My understanding is if you use solid fuel as your only source of heating (coal or wood, but not biomass boilers), which we do, then you would get 100% grant, while if you use oil or LPG you would get a 50% grant. I suppose it has been made available as "they" realise that many of the people stuggling with fuel bills and keeping their houses warm are those in solid walled properties and are off mains gas, and haven't been able to take advantage of the generous offers for cavity wall insulation.

Quote:
,i would`nt bank to much on the 25yr guarantee,i reckon the render will crack way before that

I had assumed both the insulation and render were guaranteed, as they kind of work together. But I will check this

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter works in Ceredigion and is heavily involved in the external wall insulating happening to housing association housing she also did her dissertation on it. My husband also works for a housing association Tai ceredigion and they are putting it on a lot of their properties they talk about it being a good option in exposed areas of the coast and wet areas such as ceredigion and carmarthen. if you have any specific questions let me know I'm sure they will help if they can.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rhubarb that was my understanding.

Are there many Solid Wall properties with Tai Ceredigion?

Someone i know living in Newquay in a Tai Ceredigion house was telling me that a lot of the houses had either Air or Ground heat source pumps fitted which are now being taken out as the residents are complaining about the electricity costs to run these,
My friend not has Solid/Multi fuel as i supply her with logs sometimes.

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea Ty Gwyn, I don't take much notice about there work hence I said I can ask them if it helps.

pollyanna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is an exaggeration to state that a lot of the houses in Ceredigion have had what is an expensive system fitted for heating their houses.

And yes, there are very many properties in West Wales without cavity walls.

Most of us are too poor to even contemplate such a heating system. We mainly put on another sweater and soldier on.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:

Personally from my experience in the building trade,i would`nt bank to much on the 25yr guarantee,i reckon the render will crack way before that.

That's the point of a guarantee.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollyanna wrote:
I think it is an exaggeration to state that a lot of the houses in Ceredigion have had what is an expensive system fitted for heating their houses.

And yes, there are very many properties in West Wales without cavity walls.

Most of us are too poor to even contemplate such a heating system. We mainly put on another sweater and soldier on.

Pollyanna if this post is referring to my post above,have another read,it states a lot of the house`s fitted by Tai Ceredigion,which were Council house`s prior to Tai Ceredigion,so Brick and Block cavity construction,
Whether they have purchased any old stone properties and converted these for rental,i do not know.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Ty Gwyn wrote:

That's the point of a guarantee.

How well proven is this system,how long has it been on the market to prove its worth,

Many people who have purchased new builds have found out how good their guarantees have been when problems arise.

Those that have seen these houses insulated with this process,did you notice whether the window sills were changed?

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welsh veg grower wrote:
My daughter works in Ceredigion and is heavily involved in the external wall insulating happening to housing association housing she also did her dissertation on it. My husband also works for a housing association Tai ceredigion and they are putting it on a lot of their properties they talk about it being a good option in exposed areas of the coast and wet areas such as ceredigion and carmarthen. if you have any specific questions let me know I'm sure they will help if they can.

WVG - Jack is seeing you on Monday. I know he will have questions.

pollyanna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, Ty Gwyn, I realised I had slightly mis-read your post as soon as I replied.

As it happens my neighbour who has a house without cavity walls had it clad some month's ago. The work took just over a weekend and looks good. But whether it really is the solution for stone walls which were designed to 'breathe' is another matter. But then, it must be a better solution than cement render.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 13 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Pollyanna,easy done.

I`m sceptical if this method really does make a difference,take note comments on here,had it done recently and have noticed a difference,

It is Very Mild,and has been for a good while,how have these people seen a difference.?

This phallacy about rendered houses,why were they rendered in the first place?
Because of penetrating damp through the walls from driving rain,yes good pointing is adequate,but in exposed area`s you cannot beat good rendering.

Drainage is the main problem with damp walls in rendered properties.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive