Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How much do you spend on meat per week?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping

How much do you spend on meat per week?
Less than £5
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
£5 - £10
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
£10 - £15
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
£15 - £20
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
£20 plus
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 14 7:33 pm    Post subject: How much do you spend on meat per week? Reply with quote

Just worked out today, as a household of 3, we spend £12.43, or £13.70 if we weren't in our own free delivery area. I was surprised how little it was, considering how much we pack away.

marigold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 14 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea!

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 14 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I couldn't begin to work it out. However, you are not a household of three, unless we are one of about 19. We have teenage boys.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 14 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which leads to another question - what portion sizes do you work on? 250g per person here, for two of us, that is.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 14 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, massively. Half that for mince in a decent bolognese, sometimes. Four times that if Dom helps himself to a steak when I'm not watching.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know.
last week about a fiver on sausages ,the phessies were a gift and made 6 human and 3 hound meals.
im still eating beltie who came as a bonus 3 week calf with his mum (mum was 350 less the 150 ish when she went to market)so 2 1/2 years beef might be 150 kill and cut plus a steer calf in exchange for his care)
a big pig is about 1 1/2 years ham and bacon
a few fr chooks
roadkill etc

at a guess about a tenner?a week for 3 people and a hound.

a lot less money than it would be from a supermarket is the only thing i know for definite.

with good quality meat i use less than i would with wet cure etc but eat meat more often than i would if it was supermarket meat.i recon we spend more on cheese than we do on flesh.

iaf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 8 oz per adult, 6 oz for children= 3 sometimes 4 adults , one child size portions.

Meat at least 5 days per week.

Finsky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can eat meat of some sort every other day for few weeks and then not eat any for long time and be almost 'veggie'. We don't spend much for meat...at most £10 every other week or so and that keeps two adults and terrier going.
Recently we've been eating 'free' pheasants...bird after bird....again and again... ...some turkey in between and now we are back phessie diet again..
I'm glad that the shooting season for them is nearly done.
Just took some lovely beef out of freezer.. ..freezer is nearly ready for topping up.....

Last edited by Finsky on Thu Jan 09, 14 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost an impossible question for this household because it varies so much.

Some weeks zero - I still cook mainly vegetarian meals ... but never think of them as such.

On a meaty week, between £5 and £10 I would think. Closer to £5.

The huge (much larger than we really needed) leg of Welsh lamb at Christmas cost £30 but that lasted for ever! ... and the cats got a good deal out of it right at the end.

EV

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:

Some weeks zero - I still cook mainly vegetarian meals ... but never think of them as such.

My figures are a yearly spend divided by 52 weeks, and don't include bacon, pork pies or roadkill, so it's probably a few quid more in reality, if we were buying everything.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
earthyvirgo wrote:

My figures are a yearly spend divided by 52 weeks, and don't include bacon, pork pies or roadkill, so it's probably a few quid more in reality, if we were buying everything.

I was thinking your figure looked low for the 3 of you,was starting to think you lived off Trotters,lol

If i priced everything i ate of my own produce ,it would be more like 20 pounds plus a week,and that`s only me.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
If i priced everything i ate of my own produce ,it would be more like 20 pounds plus a week,and that`s only me.

That was my perception before I added it up - you might be surprised! (Too much influence from the outside world telling us that it's expensive!)

chicken feed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never gave it a passing thought we buy the odd chicken and fish but the freezers are full to bursting with beef, lamb, pork, bacon & sausages. i suppose its because we fill the freezers and meat is on tap we never stop to think of cost (that sounds bad i know but its normal to have meat on hand). if i did it would very as we feed 4 now 7 days a week and more a few nights a week so would be hard to gauge.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds ers seem to be better organized than most for meat .

i recon at supermarket prices our meat bill would be prohibative

2 year old oak smoked ham is a deli product rather than a good way to store a dead pig

oldish chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popped into the local butcher yesterday, asked for meat that doesn't taste anything like either turkey or ham!

He sold me 12 lamb chops, 4 rib-eye steaks and two venison steaks (red deer), cost = £36. This will feed the two of us for 6 days, but not consecutive days, I hasten to add, there'll be a few much cheaper meals interspersed with that lot.

I reckon that our average expenditure is around £25 per week for the two of us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive