Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fracking
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
 Message
Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 15266
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 14 1:40 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Nick wrote:
Turning liquified dinosaurs into something which makes metal tubes fly around the world is a difficult challenge. We're up to it.

There are not actually very many dinosaurs in oil: most of it comes from plankton.

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 34027
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 14 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hairyloon wrote:
Nick wrote:
Turning liquified dinosaurs into something which makes metal tubes fly around the world is a difficult challenge. We're up to it.

There are not actually very many dinosaurs in oil: most of it comes from plankton.


My mistake. This makes it much, much easier.

Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 15266
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 14 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nick wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
Nick wrote:
Turning liquified dinosaurs into something which makes metal tubes fly around the world is a difficult challenge. We're up to it.

There are not actually very many dinosaurs in oil: most of it comes from plankton.


My mistake. This makes it much, much easier.

I would have said that the challenge is in getting the big metal tubes to fly is the challenge rather than the production of fuel to do it.

The relevant point is that we are up for it. On that, I agree: we are.

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 34027
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 14 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hairyloon wrote:

I would have said that the challenge is in getting the big metal tubes to fly is the challenge rather than the production of fuel to do it.


You are John Prescott, and I claim my five pounds.

Piggyphile



Joined: 02 Apr 2009
Posts: 891
Location: Galicia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 14 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Quote:
We're up to it.


I don't think we are, most of those in power choose not to see the bigger picture, they just want to line their own nests and big corporations are only interested in profit.

Hard to see how the current society will survive long term without some kind of collapse.

crofter



Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 2252

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 14 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Piggyphile wrote:
Quote:
We're up to it.


I don't think we are, most of those in power choose not to see the bigger picture, they just want to line their own nests and big corporations are only interested in profit.

Hard to see how the current society will survive long term without some kind of collapse.


I don't think so either. I look out the window today and see huge waves, lots of energy, but try to put a wave energy harvesting device out there and it will soon break... the metal tubes sometimes stay on the ground if it is too stormy to fly, but the wave machines will be out there all year. Yes, they can be over-engineered, but then the costs (energy costs) to make them and anchor them get higher. Tides, maybe more potential there, but still a very hostile environment.


Offshore wind? Well...

Quote:
(Reuters) - Scottish Power scrapped plans for a huge offshore wind farm on Friday due to tricky ground and wave conditions and the presence of protected sharks, making it the third utility in two weeks to drop a wind project in British waters.


Quote:
"The Argyll Array project is not financially viable in the short term," Scottish Power Renewables' head of offshore wind, Jonathan Cole, said in a statement.

Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 15266
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 14 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

crofter wrote:
I don't think so either. I look out the window today and see huge waves, lots of energy, but try to put a wave energy harvesting device out there and it will soon break... the metal tubes sometimes stay on the ground if it is too stormy to fly, but the wave machines will be out there all year.

On the other hand, we probably need to be building sea defences anyway...

Quote:
Quote:
"The Argyll Array project is not financially viable in the short term," Scottish Power Renewables' head of offshore wind, Jonathan Cole, said in a statement.

So we need to find a bunch of people who are prepared to look at it in the longer term...
Or a cheaper way to do it.

crofter



Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 2252

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 14 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hairyloon wrote:

So we need to find a bunch of people who are prepared to look at it in the longer term...
Or a cheaper way to do it.


Or people will have to pay more for their electricity.

Or, make cheaper electricity out of gas?

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 10901

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 14 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Or go for burning the gas direct. There are a lot of losses in electricity transmission over long distances. A lot of domestic and industrial processes could and often used to be powered directly by coal or gas, but we went 'high tech' and clean, and started using electricity.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 35528
Location: yes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 14 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MQHvp_l0qP8/UOhzeN0WxuI/AAAAAAAAAEA/cIOkwK0UEbI/s1600/jonah.jpg

um so that is what a fracking field can look like from the air and here is one from space

http://content.animalnewyork.com/wp-content/uploads/fracking_from_space_nasa.jpg

the dark patches are the great lakes in north america

guess the pro publicity has got a head start

Ty Gwyn



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 4261
Location: Lampeter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 14 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Where in the US is that aerial view from Dpack,it looks quite desolate and away from habitation?

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 34027
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 14 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That's ok then. As long as no one can see the mess, we can pretend it doesn't matter.

Ty Gwyn



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 4261
Location: Lampeter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 14 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nick wrote:
That's ok then. As long as no one can see the mess, we can pretend it doesn't matter.


I was hinting to the fact its away from habitation,so less potential to polluting locals,as we seem to hear all the time through these US links,

Do you honestly think the residents of suburbia gave a damn about the waste tips in Blaenau Ffestiniog as long as they had a slate roof.

pollyanna



Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Posts: 221

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 14 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

If you travel in the Welsh Valleys now you would be hard put to tell the industrial history of the area.

It is lovely. So many trees, the slag heaps grassed over.

Ty Gwyn



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 4261
Location: Lampeter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 14 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

pollyanna wrote:
If you travel in the Welsh Valleys now you would be hard put to tell the industrial history of the area.

It is lovely. So many trees, the slag heaps grassed over.


And lovely parks for the unemployed to stroll through,dodging the needles and queue`s outside chemists for the methodine user`s,

Much nicer than them places of work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com