Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Making the leap - UK or EU?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 14 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
You can fix a mortgage in the UK for 10 or more years. Looking at your budget (including mortgage) you could buy a house and a few acres quite easily in the West if you've got a job.

Your occupation sounds more risky to me, could either of you not move your jobs in the UK?

When rates start rising and what happens after that could well have quite a severe impact on what people have to spend on holidaying in France for example.

Fair point on the rates - although that doesn't change the issue of rates moving upwards. Likewise on the impact on others - although that said I think setting up somewhere that the bank aren't suddenly going to whip away if there isn't an income would be a positive.
My wife could potentially move her job yes, for me sadly that wouldn't be an option.

lagori

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 14 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
I would envisage Stratford on Avon to be quite an expensive area compared to other area`s mentioned.

Hi Ty Gwyn - yes it is! Although I've thought about anywhere running north of Dorset and along the Welsh border - all big mortgage territory that I have been able to see.

I really do feel awful that fewer and fewer people can afford to buy somewhere to live in the UK, despite working more and more... I saw today that home ownership in the UK is at its lowest level since the early 80's, just prior to the Thatcher sell off of council property, whilst halting further building of homes for the poor the proceeds.
So that worked then...

lagori

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 14 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wizz wrote:
Welcome..
I guess my view on this is coloured a little by our own experience. My own view is that children (when they come along) do change things... Even it you thought you'd planned for them to the nth degree... So if children are up there in the priority list, try to think about what might be important when they come along. Whilst we don't depend upon family and friends for childcare, having close family around/available does make a difference... If that's not going to be possible making sure that you are easily able to develop some good and dependable local friendships and networks will really help.

Thanks wizz - agreed. Who knows what turns life will take, but making sure you have a strong community (family or otherwise) around you is definitely important to us.

VM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 14 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me as if you could do with looking (virtually and for real) round the UK some more and thinking some more about the here / abroad thing. Despite the huge house price problem here there are parts of the country where you could buy house and space with the budget you have. Lincolnshire is still cheaper than lots of England, for instance, though not much like the south west! Going abroad will get you more land, perhaps more beauty or house of your dreams etc - and it really works for some people - quite a few people on here for instance. But it doesn't work for everyone and I guess you need to be fairly clear about it to have a good chance of it working out well.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending where you go in Europe, you are likely to have better growing conditions than you will ever likely have in the UK. A warmer year is nothing to be sneezed at especially when one considers the cost of heating a house in the UK.

I would also make certain you look at aspects like taxation and health care.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you afford a few months to travel? Pack a rucksack, and throw a few darts in the map, and have an explode. You're young, with energy and £150,000 to spend. One day you'll need to worry about kids, and old age planning but today, just go and see. I think I'd look in France, Northern Spain, and Italy, but that's because of the food, the geography and previous trips. Maybe Greece, basket case that it is, is full of empty, cheap property with land, and you can work remotely.

Or, go east, Bulgaria is interesting. But, go and explore. Send us a postcard.

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croatia is another interesting one with the added advantage of a lot of English being spoken.

VM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelling for a bit would also give you an idea of how self-sufficient you are as a couple - I mean socially and emotionally. Moving to anywhere new and pursuing a plan that is different from those of family and friends around you means resilience, good humour and togetherness will be useful.

lagori

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 14 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VM wrote:
Travelling for a bit would also give you an idea of how self-sufficient you are as a couple - I mean socially and emotionally. Moving to anywhere new and pursuing a plan that is different from those of family and friends around you means resilience, good humour and togetherness will be useful.

Thanks VM / all,

Agreed, maybe taking some time to travel a little and see if somewhere pulls us in would be good.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 14 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a family abroad throws a different dynamic into your future family history. If you have and raise kids in another country their ties are bound to be different to yours. If you are doing this for keeps your are immigrants and will have to integrate you and your family into the cu.lture you have chosen.

Mr O

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 14 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C A N A D A

VM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 14 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Depending where you go in Europe, you are likely to have better growing conditions than you will ever likely have in the UK. A warmer year is nothing to be sneezed at especially when one considers the cost of heating a house in the UK.

That wouldn't apply to CANADA of course - though otherwise, yes, Mr O, I hear nice things about it!

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 14 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VM made a good point about sussing out how you can cope at being self sufficient. There is nothing like the strain of continual loss....we made a loss for nearly 5 years...the kids were most cross (us being a bit older), but it still had its trying times and arguments.

numenius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 16 12:14 pm    Post subject: Same budget Reply with quote

Hi, we are in a similar position with a similar budget and have got some land in Northern England and am right now starting a self-build. We managed to get enough land to at least be semi-self sufficient and I stepped down (it's "up" in life quality really) out of the rat race from a well paid but stressful job, to one which pays the least I've ever earned but I absolutely love, and which gives me far more free time to build our new home and work the ground. My wife's job, is one which she could take anywhere. We considered going overseas for many years, but it seemed like adding complication to the project by a factor of 1000 to be honest. For example, working out cheapest sources of building materials, etc etc is complicated enough in a country where we have always lived. Imagine trying to explain something like say a Tundish valve or a ewe with a prolapse in Spanish or French for example! . We may not have the summers, but it seemed many times simpler to stay here.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 16 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive