Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Shipping Container Homes
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 14 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might need a bit of thought re waterproofing ,sizes etc but a neat idea

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 14 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going single story then do you really need a light tube? Velux or a skylight would be more suitable.

If going for multiple stories can you afford to loose the space in the upper levels to get the light to the lower ones?

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 14 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light tube is for another project in another container at the end of the land.... The House containers will be fully LED lights... no need for clever free lighting ideas...

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Panda has just informed grandma panda of our intentions of living in a couple of old shipping containers! I didn't know that grandma pandas knew such language!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 14 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sort of things they get upset about. I know my father was a bit huruphy about the work we had to do on our first house, but then my mother reminded him of the work they had to do on the first place they lived, and that was just sharing part of a house owned by a friend.

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 14 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Panda is off to buy our first shipping container next week... sort of a trial run. This one is to be turned into a small house for us whilst we do the work on the land and think about building/creating the main house... For some strange reason I am getting quite excited about living in a shipping container.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 14 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an exciting project. Are you able to post photo's?

How will this project dovetail with the plans to sail away for prolonged periods?

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 14 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd wrote:
Sounds like an exciting project. Are you able to post photo's?

How will this project dovetail with the plans to sail away for prolonged periods?

I dare say that as we go along we will take a pic or two and will try to post them. Having lived on the boat for years, we decided last year that we should go back to land lubbing and become as self sufficient as possible... Hopefully we will pop back over to the Caribbean for the winter this year (I am seriously missing the sun). So, one of the great things about the container idea is the security issue, it's a great big steel box... Over the summer we will clear the ground and hopefully get the raised beds in. Knock down the existing building. For the time being we will have to live on our boat, as our land is around the other side of the island, we do have a car, but can't get it back over to the island that our land/boat is on until may as that is when the first ferry is!! So, next week we will move back over to that island, live on our boat, hitch to our land daily, start the work, put the first container in etc... Lots to do, and I thought sailing could be hard work (says she who normally has a g&t in hand)... The one thing we had forgotten about was paper work... land lubbing has lots of it, and regulations, the need for solicitors etc... normally the only things we have to deal with are customs and immigration.

Our first container (the one we will use whilst we work out the main project) will be off grid, though we do have electric on site, and are considering going off grid for the whole thing, we'll see. Anyway, will keep you posted...

Miss Anni Kist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 14 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time on this site, and found what I was looking for.Isn't this just great, I really hope to see those photos.

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 14 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dealt with condensation in a good many self storage container applications. The best route has been 50 mm of spray on foam insulation. Beyond that it becomes an issue of diminishing returns.

lorrayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 14 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how the container is shaping up ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive