links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Contingency Plan.
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 11:55 am    Post subject: Contingency Plan. Reply with quote

I think I mentioned that we've been struggling to get Pru the GOS sow back into pig after her last litter. Well if she doesn't oblige, we now have a contingency plan. When we picked up the porkers from the slaughterhouse yesterday, I found out that they kill cull sows there and that they will also turn them into sausages for you.
I didn't ask the price but the butcher said that a 200kg sow will produce about a 100kg of meat that's suitable for sausages. Now we do enjoy making our own sausages but we've never attempted anything like that amount in one go, so if the worst comes to the worst and Pru doesn't get back into the family way, its definitely something that we'll look further into.

As a matter of interest, the slaughterhouse that we used, is in the North Wales town of Denbigh. They are a very friendly and helpful business with a good traditional family butchers attached to it.

Now here's a bit of history for you. We've been to the Saint Fagans museum on a few occasions and they have this cockpit there and it once stood in Denbigh. The museum removed it brick by brick and reconstructed it on the museum site.
When its original use fell out of favour, the cockpit was used for a number of years as the towns slaughterhouse. Thankfully, the one that I went to yesterday, I'm pleased to say, is somewhat more modern. Here are the pictures from our last visit to St Fagans. I'm not sure how they would have worked it as a slaughterhouse but interesting all the same.

I took these pictures at St Fagans. A fantastic building but built in an era that has thankfully long since gone.

The roof structure was amazing.

A brief history of the building and its varied uses.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`d say your sow is to fat,that`s the problem.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, she had a rough time of it after farrowing last time and I've noticed that she has a little bit of discharge.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you know the reason she is not taking.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that before but I've got to give her a try. If she's going to miss for a second time, she'll be back in season in a weeks time. She'll have one more chance after that and if things are still not working, then I'm afraid its sausage time.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good plan Bodger - I hope she takes but if not sausages seems a logical step and you have new stock to try.

If you end up that way you could consider having the minced meat made but left at that - and freeze it in manageable portions and you could still make some of your own sausages to your own recipe when time allowed, and also do other things like pies etc?

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry butty,but if you knew it before,why did`nt you sort it,
That`s what keeping stock involves.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you have set about sorting it? She farrowed her last litter five and a half months ago and has had the discharge for just over a week. Even for an expert like yourself, long distance diagnosis is very difficult. My original post was about what I might do if the sow remained barren and not about what might or might not be wrong with her.
I'm well aware of the responsibility that stock keeping involves.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point being,until you sort out the discharge,she will continue to be barren.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a rest.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 14 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people never learn.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 14 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Sweet Fanny Adams about myself, or my pig keeping, so how can you come to the conclusion that I might be one of those people 'who never learn?'
I apologise for having had the temerity to post on a subject that you obviously consider to be your own field of expertise but unfortunately, you don't have a monopoly on it and you must come to terms with the fact that other people do keep pigs.

As can be seen by my willingness to post pictures of my pig keeping activities, I keep my pigs very well and have absolutely nothing to hide.

I'm sure that you'll feel the need to have the last word on this thread but anyone reading this will know exactly what you are up to.
Maybe you should post a little more about your own pig keeping? At least you wouldn't have a Ty Gwyn throwing personal insults at you. In posting this thread, I tried to make it an interesting one for the members, your arrogance and deliberate rudeness has completely spoiled it.

Folks, I'm sorry that I've had to make a post of this nature but I hope you'll understand and that I couldn't let these remarks go unanswered. I don't know what this guys problem is, nor why he's gone out of his way to try and make a problem for me.

Flamin'Panda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 14 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you put yourself (and pigs) up in the public arena, you must be prepared for what is thrown at you, and deal with it in a calm, considered and rational manner. Simply ranting on about someone else, who to my mind does have a point, can come across as unintelligent ramblings... If you want to get back at some one, or put your point of view across, use points of reference and facts. When my children had temper tantrums they were told off.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 14 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamin'Panda wrote:
I think that if you put yourself (and pigs) up in the public arena, you must be prepared for what is thrown at you, and deal with it in a calm, considered and rational manner. Simply ranting on about someone else, who to my mind does have a point, can come across as unintelligent ramblings... If you want to get back at some one, or put your point of view across, use points of reference and facts. When my children had temper tantrums they were told off.

As far as I'm concerned. I have. You wouldn't by any chance have an axe to grind after having your rubbish removed from my last post would you?

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 14 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play nicely people

.....and back to the pigs.

Hopefully a dose of something from the vet can clear the discharge.

Hopefully she will be able to get back into pig.

However, if she doesn't, have a good think about flavours of sausages, and do a variety. Maybe you could have a BBQ at your next cider open day, or a sausage tie in with some double purchases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive