Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Le Tour - the good and the bad
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 14 4:28 pm    Post subject: Le Tour - the good and the bad Reply with quote

Tomorrow brings Le Tour to Otley. It's a great scoop for the town and there's a real buzz about the place. There's lots going on starting already (shame its raining right now-but sat promises to be drier).
Tomorrow we are going to a bbq at a friends house - the riders will go right past their front door. It's great that people have come together in so many ways to make the most of it.

There're probably a dozen 'camp' sites within a mile radius of the town centre and I was amazed that they're filling up already (who knew how popular this race is?).

But here's the thing, I looked at one of them and they are charging £70 for a single night. It's a 'pop-up' camp site so the facilities will be at best primitive.
The site also has some live bands (but you can get separate tickets for this at just £5 each). What an absolute rip-off.
I just hope not too many people are taken in by the 'semi-official' look of the website.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 14 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our street drains on bootham are being slurped clean for the first time in ages

lots of fresh paint

the local businesses are getting ready for the view and hospitality packages

£70 for a night camping seems a bargain compared to the hotel mark ups round here

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 14 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One night's camping, for 4 people, plus tickets for the band, and to be within touching distance of the world's premier cycling event doesn't strike me as that bad, for £70.

How much do you think would be reasonable?

In terms of facilities, you can easily hire great quality bogs and showers, so they may not be primitive.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the roads into Otley and used by the tour have wide grass verges and/or paved footpaths - so there are literally miles of places to watch the race for free.
There is little in the way of accomodation though - so these campsites are needed. It's hardly Glastonbury though. £50 including the band would be a lot more reasonable.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you basing that on any arithmetic or just a round number to suit frugality? £12.50 for room, shower, toilet, and a band is very cheap, I reckon. Someone has to pay for cleaning up afterwards, facility hire, insurance, tax, staff to manage it, some sort of stage or tent for the band, speakers, electricity, lighting, paying the band, sorting out issues and such.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estimates of 2 million extra people to feed and water. Many of these in semi rural areas with limited water supply capacity, including those pop up camps. Quite a logistical exercise. Glad I'm not on call this weekend. About to pop up the road to see the shenanigans.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time does it start?

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now! 1000s of people out. brilliant!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/lance-armstrong-wouldnt-last-long-in-halifax

Some entertaining pictures of preparations.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like harold's baguette

madcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the coloured sheep

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 14 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We walked down the road and watched the race - absolutely brilliant (and for free too). The atmosphere was great - everybody enjoying the spectacle. The sun came out too and made it a hot, sunny, glorious afternoon.
Lots of bands and events all over the town (again put on for free).
Never seen so many people out in Otley - don't suppose I will ever again either.
Makes you feel proud to live here.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 14 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great wasn't it. Went in to leeds in the afternoon, massive crowds fantastic atmosphere. Very proud of our city and Yorkshire.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 14 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't post pics from my phone for some reason, will put some up tomorrow.

Gervase

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 14 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was glued to the TV coverage - Yorkshire looked stunning and the crowds were astonishing; they must have been 50 deep in the run up Buttertubs. Wish I could have been there to savour the atmosphere. Well done Yorkshire - you did the UK proud!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive