Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Securing a field
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 14 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure an alarm that dials you would be much use. The police will not be interested and I doubt WW would want to go to the field in the middle of the night if someone sets it off - I wouldn't. Something that sets off a loud alarm might scare off the odd petty thief if there are neighbours.

onemanband

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 14 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I'm not sure an alarm that dials you would be much use. The police will not be interested and I doubt WW would want to go to the field in the middle of the night if someone sets it off - I wouldn't. Something that sets off a loud alarm might scare off the odd petty thief if there are neighbours.

Yes the alarm should scare them off empty handed, but an autodialler means you know the moment it is set off. Once you have checked it is not a false alarm you can notify the police much earlier and re-secure the property quicker. It would also prevent pissing off the neighbours with false alarms you are unaware off.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 14 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it dial a phone in the shed. (Make it a cheap one, tho).

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 14 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Yes the alarm should scare them off empty handed, but an autodialler means you know the moment it is set off. Once you have checked it is not a false alarm you can notify the police much earlier and re-secure the property quicker. It would also prevent pissing off the neighbours with false alarms you are unaware off.

So you get an alert and pop down a dark wood in the night to check?

If you're lucky they've gone, taking whatever they fancy with them.

Edit to add, many cheap alarms these days will tell if the alarm has been triggered, so you'll be aware of it going off if you're not there.

onemanband

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 14 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
many cheap alarms these days will tell if the alarm has been triggered, so you'll be aware of it going off if you're not there.

Yeh, next time you go there. What if you don't go there for a week ?
It's peace of mind - if you haven't had that phone call you know everything is ok.

12Bore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 14 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
12Bore wrote:
For some years I have been considering forming a group or snipers for hire.
Initially I think that we would use paintball guns for a first call-out, escalating the armoury as required...

Shouldn't you start with spud guns?

100mm cannon, and a bag of King Edwards?

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 14 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up some movement sensitive lighting. Must be possible to have it powerd by solar and battery. Thieves are generally lazy and will go somewhere easier or safer so a light will put many of them off. In reality, y can't make it 100% secure, and the more security you add! the more it suggests there's nickable stuff there.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 14 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think the more security you put in (beyond the basics) makes you more of a target. I'm much more interested in being unattractive, rather than impregnable!

I could run a cable down there. The land belongs to a terraced house, and the field at at the end of all the gardens. I have access to an outdoor plug socket, and I could run a cable down the garden. The house is rented, but owned by my mother who is happy with that, so long as I put in a sub meter so as not to annoy the tenant and make sure the cable is safe. It would be useful anyway sooner or later, so I'd guess I'd better figure out how to do that, next.

What a learning curve having land is!

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 14 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I'm much more interested in being unattractive, rather than impregnable!

You'll go a long way.

john of wessex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land Mines??

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run a cable, I would do it properly and put in armoured cable and where it can't be hit by any gardening work.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

There are also sevices available where a private security guard will come out and check, 24/7.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

There are also sevices available where a private security guard will come out and check, 24/7.

I expect there are. I doubt the costs would be worth while and for a burglary the bugler will be long gone and if someone tries to move onto the land their will be nothing the guard can do about it.

Another option I had though of WW, is there anywhere more secure you can store your equipment? Rent an attached garage, self store, kept with family or a friend?

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

I expect there are. I doubt the costs would be worth while and for a burglary the bugler will be long gone and if someone tries to move onto the land their will be nothing the guard can do about it.

Another option I had though of WW, is there anywhere more secure you can store your equipment? Rent an attached garage, self store, kept with family or a friend?

I don't see why. Unless there's nothing to pinch, in which case you wouldn't need the service.

The main value would be in stopping people entering in the first place, though.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 14 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
I'm much more interested in being unattractive, rather than impregnable!

You'll go a long way.

Yeah, serious ambition!

I think I can manage without an alarm - there is nothing valuable at present there, and while there will be, I think I will hide it. I can store portable tools elsewhere but not the mower. I haven't bought it yet, so plenty of time to think of something. I will fix the gates and get some lights and see how things go. I can probably store some things elsewhere but it will be a right pain. I do realise the point of security is to be inconvenient, but there are limits! And anyway, I can't really store the mower elsewhere.

If I did get an alarm, it would probably just be audible. I am on good terms with the neighbours, so they would let me know and have a look for me. They also have garages with tools in just this side of the gate, so it's in everyone's interest anyway.

The difficult thing is that I have no background in this sort of thing. Not a clue about wiring or fencing or fixing gates etc. tricky to start from scratch with only the internet for guidance!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive