About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Belt -> handle
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 15 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leather belt handles look great, I should post some photos really (it'd help if I take some first )

Will try to take some at the weekend

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is:

Click to see full size image

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have you got drawers that go into the floor?

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Why have you got drawers that go into the floor?

That's not the floor, it's the table top!

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a revolution in furniture making tahir, drawers in a table top-novel-sets you out from the crowd! Joking apart the handles do look good. From my rope suggestion earlier and the crash helmet reply, I should say, for her who was I would have needed shin pads and a box as well.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregotyn wrote:
Joking apart the handles do look good.

It was my wife wot dunnit, one of her old belts too, so she's made big sacrifices here

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do look good

a variation might be a handle with a slot and hole each end where they fasten on to the pegs(screws or whatever) so as they lay flat when at rest but pull up and give a space for the hand when in use, like old style trunk handles.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
they do look good

a variation might be a handle with a slot and hole each end where they fasten on to the pegs(screws or whatever) so as they lay flat when at rest but pull up and give a space for the hand when in use, like old style trunk handles.

We have more to do, was thinking about doing that on this one but was unsure on how to cut the slots and no time to experiment

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first holes are at the distance between the fixings ,the seconary holes about an inch or so further out ,use a sharp one inch chisel and a hammer to cut the slot between the holes

there is a variation with a strap type attachment in metal and a reduction of width to the handle but they are more complex to make and require thick leather so as not to pull out of the fixing

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
the first holes are at the distance between the fixings ,the seconary holes about an inch or so further out ,use a sharp one inch chisel and a hammer to cut the slot between the holes

Really? Just a chisel? Hmm, may have to buy one

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do it with a stanley knife, just joining th holes shouls mean you can pull the leather and it will form a handle and then when you push it back it will move to the holes at the correct span of the fixings and lay flat
if you don't remove the leather between the holes in might be a bit stiff to stsrt with but should still work.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
You could do it with a stanley knife, just joining th holes shouls mean you can pull the leather and it will form a handle and then when you push it back it will move to the holes at the correct span of the fixings and lay flat
if you don't remove the leather between the holes in might be a bit stiff to stsrt with but should still work.

I've misunderstood, what I was thinking of was to cut slots in the actual drawer fronts and have the leather threaded through

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 15 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad that is sorted

you do need at least one good chisel

a one inch bevel edged is a good general purpose size

if you dont have the time or skilled knowledge to find a superb antique go for a good make such as marples or stanley professional range.

you also need a good sharpening stone (educational videos available online for how to create and maintain a perfect edge)

each will probably cost about £25 ( or maybe a bit more ,price isnt the prime factor with "your chisel")each but good uns is better than several carp ones and will pay for itself many times over as it will last several generations of full time use

go for a serious(gnted unbreakable is a good idea ) plastic handle (so as to use a hammer rather than a mallet )
those with a full tang and metal button to hit are strong but although some folk like them i find them a bit bouncy for delicate stuff .wood handles are fine for hand carving or turning but useless for bash work ,jointing etc etc

a decent chisel is a very multi purpose tool with a steerable super sharp blade ,a carp one is a nightmare to use and a danger to work and body

i dont know if you ever get to south london but gatto's tools in garret lane is the type of shop that will help you find "your chisel"

i got "my chisel"from them 30 yrs ago and still use it regularly

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 15 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fact that good chisels are an essential. I was using fairly regularly up till a few years back and will be again as soon as I have a new workshop ready, the chisels that were used by my grandfather, in the 1900's and passed through the family to me and still all in good condition. I just keep them wrapped up and oiled to make sure they will be ok. Sharpening them is a pleasure compared to some of the modern stuff available. There are often stalls at shows where I pick up a chisel or so with handles of that patina which only comes with age.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive