Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
planning when/how to expand a business
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 14 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a similar dilemma.

Both John and I are very busy which is great, but were also getting older and slower which isnt.
I have to look at taking on someone part time, possibly seasonally from April till Nov.
I dont want to do all the wages etc stuff. Im loathe to advertise locally, although Id like to employ someone local. One issue is that as part of a small community here, if I take someone, even on recommendation and they turn out to be unsuitable (either unreliable or lazy or whatever) and I have to 'let them go' then I will be gossiped about - not as someone who offered someone an opportunity, but as someone who fired a local.
Casual would work I think and allow us all to see if we get on etc....

(and yes, I already have employers liability)

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 14 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
I have to 'let them go' then I will be gossiped about - not as someone who offered someone an opportunity, but as someone who fired a local.

If you're going to employ someone you have to get a thicker skin and ignore stuff like this. If you can't don't do it.

As soon as you start thinking what others may think your business is less likely to be successful.

kGarden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 14 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:

I dont want to do all the wages etc stuff

I employ a couple of people (i.e. working in my house). My Accountant provides a service to do PAYE payroll for small -payrolls, like mine.

Quote:
One issue is that as part of a small community here, if I take someone, even on recommendation and they turn out to be unsuitable (either unreliable or lazy or whatever) and I have to 'let them go' then I will be gossiped about

I take a different view. I don't employ locally, otherwise my "business" would become the whole village's "business" in double-quick-time!

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 14 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally - I hear what you said about extending or shed, but if it was me I'd be thinking (leaving aside tax and legal issues) ....£600 per month that's £7200 for a year - that's a lot of shed, a lot of quality shed and you'll be rent free after that.
Similarly £7200 a year for 3 years, that's an extension/garage conversion.
A loft conversion (for storage only) could be done for less than a years rent.
If/when you move to external premises you've got a nice shed or extension.

Maybe I shouldn't compare a shed or loft conversion with a fully serviced unit, but the above would still apply when comparing storage unit rent with the cost to create that same space at home.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive