Recipes            
Latest Articles
New ‘Super Cookies’ Can Track Your Private Web Browsing
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 15 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
oldish chris wrote:
You do realise that you are offending my deeply held beliefs.

Excellent!

Sitting there thinking whilst drinking tea, it occurred to me that I'm way, way more worried about getting a computer virus than of the risks of going to Hell! We must keep our priorities right.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 15 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this wont give "privacy"but it will get rid of pop up targeted adverts etc etc

download no script ,ad block plus and ghostery (well in billdoze os's) all are freeware( and seem backdoor free as well but im not smart enough to be certain).
this will block most cookies and re directs etc and they seem to compliment each other quite well

it is a bit of a pain to have to click a temporary allow this page button to see embedded video clips ,use java enabled comments etc etc but compared to getting one third page and two thirds adverts on the screen and wasting lots of bandwidth reporting to all and sundry that you read the footie results or like ballet or whatever.

the online news papers for example are pretty intrusive and sometimes there are many scripts,several objects and lots of cookies waiting forlornly at the gates

oldish chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 15 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dpack. Made an improvement!

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 15 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yous welcome

there are linux versions as well

oldish chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 15 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
yous welcome

there are linux versions as well
yup, the only OS I've bothered to learn how to use in the past 10 years.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 15 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does give more "bang for the buck" on most machines

unless im suckered into mainstream,like on this one cos i believe i need to run billdoze (what is a mac?)software such as pro level photoshop or falcon

the linux doze emulator wont run top end stuff for me

oldish chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 15 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quality is "conformance to requirements".

When i first installed Linux, my top requirement was "free". Ability to develop sophisticated graphical websites wasn't on the list.

Having had the odd malware problem, not to mention once being hoaxed into stuffing up my PC, I'm comforted by Linux's reputation for security.

I keep tabs on developments, but the experts tell me that the way a typical end-user Linux system is set up, I'm close to bullet proof. (BTW /home directory encryption is an pain, and a software bug in my version of something means that if I need to use swap disk I've got some actual command line operating to do).

The one thing that was concerning me was that when I did a graceful closedown, with no active windows, I was still using the equivalent of 25% of a powerful CPU. Since I've installed ad-blocker, pages load more quickly and 2 seconds after closing the browser, everything is quiet.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 15 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
Since I've installed ad-blocker, pages load more quickly and 2 seconds after closing the browser, everything is quiet.

Reassuring.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 15 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghostery is good BTW. Works on most browsers and a beta is available for IE.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 15 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostery is ace ,i find it blocks the cookies that try to sneak in if i let the noscript blocker to temporarily allow movie clips or java stuff

and it tells you which sites are harvesting visitor's habits and selling the data.online news are very keen on targeted advertising etc

it isnt just about data harvest there are scripts etc that will lead the machine to places with malicious code.that type of attack can be missed even by goodish anti virus/anti malware stuff

i spose it is a bit like having curtains to stop folk staring at one eating toast

ps downsizer is very polite about data harvest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive