links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Project 2 Completed
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 2:09 pm    Post subject: Project 2 Completed Reply with quote

Got the cot completed and delivered on Saturday:

Having no experience, or plan to follow meant that it took a lot longer to finish than anticipated, but we're happy with the result and we've learnt loads doing it

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work.well done

what is next?

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
nice work.well done

what is next?

cupboard fronts for laundry room, 2 beds and some bedsides, oh and bookshelves for kitchen

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you get to the cupboard doors it might be worth considering getting a set of "drills for blum hinges" (screwfix etc) and using blum hinges .(about £20 for the drills and the hinges cost a bit more than flat ones but they will save time in getting a good standard of finish)

the advantages are

easy to adjust for level and flat hanging,soft close available ,step away opening so positioning is easier etc etc

well fitted they last far better than flat hinges

dont show on outside

they might look a bit complex but they are actually quite easy and far easier to get a good result than flat hinges

robkb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. If I tried that it'd be ready for their wedding...

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have some Blum hinges here, builders chippy was supposed to have done it but he was blinking useless so I asked him to stop.

Is this what I need?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-cutter-tct-35mm/11596

Just a bit worried about getting it accurately positioned and straight, would be more confident with a pillar drill

mousjoos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the bit you need; it is for a pillar drill, but can be used in a router; difficult to use in a power drill as they are meant for drilling "blind" holes...usually Blum's are set in 4mm from the edge of the door, & as dpack says are easier than you might otherwise imagine

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousjoos wrote:
That's the bit you need; it is for a pillar drill, but can be used in a router; difficult to use in a power drill as they are meant for drilling "blind" holes...usually Blum's are set in 4mm from the edge of the door, & as dpack says are easier than you might otherwise imagine

Ta for that, I do find it hard to align the router precisely though. No markings at all, not even a centre line, is there a technique I should be using?

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Use a jig, either hand made or bought. Not done it myself but a quick google shows lots of ideas.

I have knocked up jigs for a few different uses already, just wondered if there was something simpler that I'm missing. Having never actually seen a router in use before trying one for the 1st time on this project I could be doing things in far harder ways than they need to be...

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed my post when I realised what type the hinges were. Basically you just want a wound hole?

I assume you have a guide on the router you can set for one edge? Then all you need is a straight edge clamped to the door for the base of the router that is 90° to edge guide to sit against.

Practice on a scrap piece of wood to check your measurements.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Practice on a scrap piece of wood to check your measurements.

That's the bit that affects marital harmony, wife just wants to get on with the job, she's a bit gung ho! But yes I guess I'll end up doing something similar to what you suggest

mousjoos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
mousjoos wrote:

Ta for that, I do find it hard to align the router precisely though. No markings at all, not even a centre line, is there a technique I should be using?

If you use a router & fence, the easiest way is to for instance mark the 4mm from the edge & align the outer edge of the bit with that mark...if you decide to mark the centre of the bit then align the point in the centre of the bit with your mark
It depends on the size of the router; assuming it's 1/2 inch collet then it will almost certainly have "slow start" &/or variable speed; it will need a 10mm collet for the hinge bit (usually)
You can, at a push, use it freehand but on the low speed setting & after a little practice
You may already know this, but when this type of bit is spinning you can see the centre point, & this makes it again much easier than you might think to achieve the end result
The router, once you have the hang of things will become almost always the most versatile power tool in the workshop

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousjoos wrote:
You may already know this, but when this type of bit is spinning you can see the centre point, & this makes it again much easier than you might think to achieve the end result
The router, once you have the hang of things will become almost always the most versatile power tool in the workshop

Didn't know that, will try it. Deffo v useful and quick, couldn't have done the cot without it

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousjoos wrote:
If you use a router & fence, the easiest way is to for instance mark the 4mm from the edge & align the outer edge of the bit with that mark

Of course, on this it's the edge that we need to mark accurately, not the centre. D'oh! (See what I mean about not having done this stuff before?)

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 15 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wot they said re big hole ,jigs etc ,

re the drills the set of 3 small ones are ace for cupboard doors (and other thin items)as only the end bit drills and they have a stop to prevent piercing all the way through a finished door

if they only prevent one accident they will pay for themselves

im not saying why i like these but they are better than a bit of tape,grub screwed collor or stick type depth guages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive