Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
We may need to shut this section of the site down...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 15 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps they have not thought through the implications of getting what they wish for .

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 15 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
they wont get elected so dont worry

It doesn't work like that. There's likely to be a Labour/SNP and possibly green supported government. So, for Labour to pass some laws they will have to allow the greens to implement some of their policies. It wouldn't surprise me if shooting was curtailed in the next parliament as it's often, wrongly, regarded as a rich persons sport.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 15 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Graham Hyde wrote:

I was describing a long ago TV series where one man went out killing things, no pleasant company, not involved with managing land, just killing things.

We have one of those in our rifle and pistol club. A most distasteful man. He has no idea of the concept of conservation just like to kill animals foxes mainly.

Devils advocate - perhaps he's just being honest about why he does it.

In several discussions about fox hunting I've seen advocates describe foxes as vermin that need to be controlled in one paragraph and in the next using the maintenance of cover for the fox and the benefit to the environment as a justification in the next.

People shoot thing because they enjoy shooting or it's a distasteful necessity to manage populations and vermin. how many shooters drag theselves out of bed with a weary moan that they have shoot some animals to provide the economic returns to maintain the cover and the consequential bio diversity of a bit of land that cant be turned over to more profitable productivity.

I'm not saying that commercial shoots, as Cathryn described above, makes people bad. I thinks it's ok and so do the 1000s involved. I think some need to be a bit more honest with themselves and have a more honest debate with those who believe the countryside can be managed in different ways. Though they'd be hard pressed to find one that didn't involve some shooting. E.g. Canada geese where your gun club member might come in handy.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 15 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:

Devils advocate - perhaps he's just being honest about why he does it.

In part this is true. Shooting has to be enjoyable as people wouldn't do it and I don't have a problem with that.

But this person is in a league of his own.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 15 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should also be pointed out many people who don't shoot kill things. I knew a 'nature lover' who'd beat to death slowworms as they looked like snakes; nature lovers who take great pride in their cats bringing in all sorts of dead wildlife; people who kill spiders because they're soooo scary :roll, etc, etc.

So obviously you'll get some people who shoot who enjoy killing things because there's plenty of people, non shooters and shooters, who do.

I don't mind an honest debate about shooting but the greens seem very narrow minded and don't seem to have taken into account simple facts when writing their shooting policy.

Graham Hyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 15 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it after all these posts no one does remember the TV series of about thirty years ago featuring Jack Charlton?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 15 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry. Now you mention it I have a vague recollection of its existence but I'm pretty sure that I never watched it.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 15 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Hyde wrote:
So I take it after all these posts no one does remember the TV series of about thirty years ago featuring Jack Charlton?

There seems to be some video clips on YouTube from it, but I can't watch them at the moment, as I get an error message when I start watching.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 15 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember it as it was the time he was supposed to be manager of nufc. About 1984 iirc, "jack' game" it was called.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 15 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bebo:1434645"]
Why should it be down to legal, responsible gun owners to pay for the costs of gun abuse? quote]
Couldn't agree more.!

oldish chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 15 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, had a bit of a health set-back, and then a set-back within the set-back, so only just got back to be able to read through the thread.

I've enjoyed reading it. (Couple of home truths gave me something to think about when the morphine had put me on another planet - but it was good. I'll tell you all about it in an appropriate thread turns up!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive