About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
The Downsizer Soap Making Challenge!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the soap according to Sally,s recipe on Sunday.When it reached trace it was a soft yellow,I added some lavender heads,lavender oil, and some honey.Its now the colour of fudge.Was it the honey that caused the colour change?

I might make some more using chamomile and lemon,and would want a softer colour.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have all the ingredients.....

Boots sell caustic soda, no probs.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardening-girl wrote:
I made the soap according to Sally,s recipe on Sunday.When it reached trace it was a soft yellow,I added some lavender heads,lavender oil, and some honey.Its now the colour of fudge.Was it the honey that caused the colour change?

I might make some more using chamomile and lemon,and would want a softer colour.

Yes - I recall people saying honey makes it go a funny colour. How would you add the lemon? Zest might be good?

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to give this a go - but probably after Christmas as I've too much else on at the moment. That'll also give me the chance to find out what caustic soda is in French and where I can buy all the other oils. BTW what is the chemical name for caustic soda - is it Sodium hydroxide?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Rosie wrote:
I'd really like to give this a go - but probably after Christmas as I've too much else on at the moment. That'll also give me the chance to find out what caustic soda is in French and where I can buy all the other oils. BTW what is the chemical name for caustic soda - is it Sodium hydroxide?

Yes. It is sold as drain cleaner - but if it's a brand make sure it doesn't have additives.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 09 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardening-girl wrote:

any herbs tend to turn soap slightly brown, my guess its partly the sugar in the honey caramelizing, and partly the lavender starting to brown. Don't be surprised if the whole lot ends up brown, it will still smell good.

Chamomile usually stays paler

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the third batch done.
I infused some rosemary for a couple of hours in the warm olive oil, and at trace,added fresh chopped rosemary and some ground pumice. It has turned a lovely light green.
I have started using the honey and lavender and lemon and chamomile soaps that I made, and they lather really well.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds lovely

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i might give rosemary 'flavour' a go when i make my mutton fat soap - I figured it was bound to go well, as it works in a roast

atm though, its taking ages to render the fat.. for a start we have to eat the chops.. before we do the rendering...

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 11 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the link to those saponification tables where you put in your own quantities of fat and it tells you how much lye to use? I know we've discussed it before but it was book marked on my computer which died.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 11 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php

TTouch Homestead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 12 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread.
I am stupidly proud of my first batch of soap, made with milk from our goat Cocoa...

Click to see full size image

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 12 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really good ! Every reason to be proud of it.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 12 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what recipe did you use, and how much goat's milk ?
Would other kinds of milk work ?

I've just returned from giving a talk and demonstration on soap-making to the local WRI. Hopefully some of them will give it a go.

The lemon curd / custard (cold process) and stewed apple (hot process) analogies went down well, and made it less alien.

Thank you, Sally, for explaining it here so clearly, and inspiring us to make soap.

TTouch Homestead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 12 10:50 pm    Post subject: goats milk soap Reply with quote

I used a simple recipe I found online- for a small amount in case I mucked it up! I checked it through a calculator

• 4 ounces weight Coconut Oil
• 5 ounces weight Olive Oil
• 5 ounces weight Palm Oil
• 2 ounces weight any emollient oil (like Sweet Almond Oil, Golden Jojoba Oil, etc.)
• 2.2 ounces weight Lye (sodium hydroxide)
• 7 fluid ounces Goat Milk

I used jojoba oil where it gives you a choice.

BTW There is an amazing set of vids on youtube called the 12 days of soap- she uses some funky things in making soap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a205zu8G38E&feature=related

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive