Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Polytunnel Strawberry Nibblers...

Author 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 15 9:09 am    Post subject: Polytunnel Strawberry Nibblers... Reply with quote

Not the human kind...pests of the anty kind. Our strawbs are ripening nicely in the polytunnel but it's a race to pick them unoccupied by ants; I'm sure there are little slugs in there too. They have straw round them but I have no idea how to stop the attacks.

Ideas, strawberry growers?

pookie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 15 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might it be woodlice? I found quite a few of our strawbs last year with large holes in and the pesky critters were still sleeping it off inside the holes!
It was the end of the season when they struck, so no personal suggestions, but there might be some in this search I saved just in case it happens this year...

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=12KsVNK9C4WP7Ab-_YDYAQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=keeping+woodlice+off+strawberries

gythagirl

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 15 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do get woodlice later on but no sign yet - it's definitely ants! I don't know, however, if they are the ones to initially break the skins, or whether little slugs start off and the ants join in afterwards. I have put down a few slug pellets as no birds go into the tunnel...and will wait to see if the attacks slow down...

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 15 5:26 pm    Post subject: Bird- And Pet-Safe Slug Traps Reply with quote

Get an empty, clean, dry 2-liter plastic soda bottle

Use a pair of scissors to cut apart at top of cylindrical portion

Invert top (now looks like a funnel) and insert into cylinder

Staple together

Place slug pellets into device, then lay in shady damp place where slugs like to hang out

Attracted to the pellets, slugs slime their way in. Not being highly intelligent, they cannot find their way back out

When device becomes ineffective / nasty toss into trash (look Ma, clean hands, no slug slime) and make a new one

gythagirl

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 15 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I've done that for wasps!

bibbster

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 15 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotten ants, I am growing my strawbs in my greenhouse this year, have a few ripening already, and them ants are gorging themselves. Grrr.

LynneA

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 15 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ants may be there because they are "farming" aphids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive