links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
the Urbane Forager book - now available
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 15 9:56 am    Post subject: the Urbane Forager book - now available Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

The Urbane Forager book (ISBN-13: 978-1785073007) has just been released, and is now available internationally through all normal outlets.
(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urbane-Forager-Fruit-Nuts-Free/dp/1785073001/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435137423&sr=1-1&keywords=urbane+forager).

We are still continuing to work with our blog and mapping resources and hope this book will really enable anyone to bring the simple message of free fruit abundance into their lives.

I have put a page up on our blog https://theurbaneforager.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-new-urbane-forager-book.html

Keep up the good work.

Best regards

Alan Gibson

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 15 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,what an interesting project even if it means i have to get up earlier

i hope it does encourage folk to forage because foragers are good conservators

good luck

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little concerned that with a combination of your book and the mapping programme some areas will be completely picked out. I hope that won't happen, but sadly, give information to people who don't really understand the countryside, and you can get a feeding frenzy.

From what you posted, it looks good otherwise.

Urbane Forager

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
In my experience, most people can't actually be bothered and would rather go to the shops
However we do aim to enable those who want to but don't know how.
The main aim is to get kids (and adults) outdoors more and interacting with their environment as a way of ultimately protecting it.
Believe me, there will be no stripped earth as a result of this book, my favourite trees still have plenty of apples on them, but hopefully people will enjoy the read.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same thing applies to the likes of mr mears bushcraft stuff,lots of folk like the telly and books but are unlikely to try to eat briony roots or wade about in a mangrove swamp full of salties:lol:

Falstaff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you miss Mistress Rose's point here - mr Mears does not publish a map, giving the specific locations of individual fruit trees or individual Burdock plants.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 15 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no but mentioning say sorrel as very nice in tarts could lead to "commercial"forage to feed a restaurant market much like the minibus sized crews that strip every fungi for the "expert"to sort later

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 15 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had some people cut about 4 sq m of wild garlic this year. Luckily cut rather than dug, which has happened in the past. Some places like the New Forest are denuded of fungi every year, so they will die out. As you say Falstaff, it is the map rather than the information that is the danger.

Urbane Forager

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 15 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do need to remember that my book and my coordinates are only of fruit & nut trees.
They are all on public land and therefore OK for people to pick from
I can't imagine anyone digging up huge trees or causing any harm.
I do not do fungi or mushrooms as this project is primarily aimed at getting kids involved.
Everything is easy to recognise - I do supply seasonal id sheets in the book too.
We pick Cherries, Plums, Blackberries, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Apples, Pears, Chestnuts and Sloes mainly. There is plenty to go around, and plenty will be left for nature. I do not predict any rape of the land.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 15 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urbane Forager wrote:

............We pick Cherries, Plums, Blackberries, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Apples, Pears, Chestnuts and Sloes mainly................

Well as far as I'm concerned, you can pretty much forget "Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Pears, Chestnuts And probably "Apples" "

Which leaves you with rather a paucity of fodder for the "Children" you are "Trying to educate" in how to produce alcohol !

As for "Public land", I'm wondering whether Highways Agency Land (the road adjacent to Southampton Airport) is suitable for gangs of "foragers" intent on picking apples to produce their own cider ?

If a few of them get theirselves "run-over" I suppose you are ready to explain how your recommendations for them to go and pick this "FREE fruit" is disconnected from the deaths ?

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 15 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be ridiculous, anyone out doing anything on public land and roads are responsible for their own safety be that climing trees, walking down the street or foraging.
Just becausexaomeonectells you where there is an Apple tree doesn't make thst person responsible for your health and safety precautions or what happens while your there....

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 15 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rise to it. You're feeding the troll.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 15 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol well even trolls like to forage sometimes, no harm in a bit of free food every now and again.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 15 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the book looks good, but it is the map I am concerned about. Perhaps slightly different, but we have had problems with geo-cachers putting up routes through the wood without permission and causing damage. Because they are following a route, or going to a spot, they seem oblivious of everything else around them, so are quite happy to tread on all sorts of other plants to get to what they are aiming for.

I have no problem with people picking blackberries or raspberries in the wood, as long as they don't do any damage, but sadly some do.

Urbane Forager, I think it would be as well to investigate any restrictions on the 'public land' that you are covering, as some areas will have by-laws preventing certain activities. I know for instance, that if I want to arrange a walk for a group in our country park, I have to inform the Park Manager first with approximate numbers, who the group are etc., and as I know some restrictions are placed on foraging fungi, some may have other restrictions too.

Urbane Forager

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 15 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
Don't be ridiculous, anyone out doing anything on public land and roads are responsible for their own safety be that climing trees, walking down the street or foraging.
Just becausexaomeonectells you where there is an Apple tree doesn't make thst person responsible for your health and safety precautions or what happens while your there....

Totally agree, for starters the trees indicated above were nothing to do with me. The map I use is public and free access, anyone can use it.
Secondly I do not put everything I find/know on the map, that would be impossible. I do not put hazel on for instance because it is too common, likewise Elder or blackberries. Nor do Indicate anything that might upset people living nearby. I also don't show my favourite places, simply because I don't want to, and also people need to learn how to look for themselves, if they want.
I do produce cider and country wine, and yes my kids help me. I drink my cider and the kids drink the apple juice which I pasteurise. Nothing wrong with any of that as far as I can see. It is a chemistry/biology lesson
There are lots of walnut and apple trees in Southampton and else where, if you know where to look. Buy the book and you may learn how to locate them
My kids and I gathered over 200 kgs of apples last year all from common ground, none by he airport.
I encourage my kids to climb safely and assess danger in their environment, important lessons as most reasonable people would agree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive