Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Food waste in the UK
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 15 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

early graze seems like a good idea ,if it is dry enough.might even get a late finish on it as well.

with the flooding it should be productive if treated well.

can the volunteers etc cut back the scrubby stuff?

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 15 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

No, they struggle to do the couple of acres at the end, along with all the other bits. There's an area upstream that they paid our neighbour £5k just to cut a few years ago - it was no easy money, that stuff eats mowers.

Fortunately they've done a good trample on the paddock I've moved them out of tonight (the one in the picture). It's a bit wetter and looks messy now but not poached so if we can keep that up it'll be some nice stuff come next season, but I have a feeling that we'll have to move them out other than by choice.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 15 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm ,a highland charge might be less expensive for the rough stuff.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 15 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
dpack wrote:

No, they struggle to do the couple of acres at the end, along with all the other bits. There's an area upstream that they paid our neighbour £5k just to cut a few years ago - it was no easy money, that stuff eats mowers.

Bloody hell ! I'm packing my kit as we speak !

PM me ! WITH ACREAGE ETC

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 15 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had to change the flails on our mower last year as well as several belts, I can understand the reluctance to mow. We did several acres of bracken this year, and that can take a fair time. If your 5 acres cost that much it must be very hard work.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 15 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 100 acres, and not ours, in fact not anyone's because noone could make use of it. Usually it is rented out to farmers & they don't have to be paid to take it on.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 15 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Having had to change the flails on our mower last year as well as several belts, I can understand the reluctance to mow. We did several acres of bracken this year, and that can take a fair time. If your 5 acres cost that much it must be very hard work.

my"guerrilla forestry" 7 acre wood(about 30 types of oaks and assorted other trees)has taken 45 yrs but it has(mostly) finished off the bracken even though it was all planted by "broadcast" a few pocketfuls at a time over the decades.(spose the next thing is organizing long term management for it as it does need some first thinning in the next decade or so)

trying to get rid of the stuff by mowing,ploughing or even grazing is always going to be an ongoing battle.

do gruntavaters deal with bracken?

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 15 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps it has done for the few patches of knot weed as well

Rob R

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 15 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

Dunno, but Dexters love it where it encroaches their side of the fence.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 15 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moos for the tops and gruntavaters for the root balls might be the answer to clearing the stuff from an area.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 15 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an option on this site as it is heathland. Our efforts over the last couple of years have increased the heather, as flailing breaks up the mat. There are ground nesting birds there too, and it has had bracken on parts of it for as long as husband and I can remember, which is the best part of 60 years. The Parish Council are managing it, and they employed us as we were quicker and more effective with our mower than their brush cutters.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 15 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

Effectively, the only thing I've found they don't deal with is docks.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 15 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bracken was once a resource not a weed.
Makes excellent animal bedding, & used to be harvested & stored like straw for that purpose.
Many (1980s) years ago the Dartmoor national park tried forage harvesters & composting on the more accessible places. Haven't read about it since so assuming it wasn't a success.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 15 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that we finished grazing the field from this post yesterday. OK, there's still work to do because we should have been able to graze it at least twice in a season, but it's progress on last year when we were flooded out before getting round it once.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 15 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clifton ings looks better for 4 1/2 months grazing.it will take a while to recover the small critters/birds from last years first day harrow with a mower but the flora looked good if a bit degraded in diversity(a lot less vetches and medowsweet) before it disappeared under several meters of chilly water.

i recon the ideal thing would be to partially mow and then free graze for a few years to distribute the rarer flora and give the little critters a good chance

ps it was seas of plantain and thistle and buttercup with plenty of docks,some very sparse patches of low value grasses and only part good grassy/herbage hay at mowing time earlier this year as i predicted but plenty of moo action seems to have helped a lot(it has thinned out the non doggy dog walkers as well cos they seem scared of some of the nicest natured moos i have met )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive