Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Boosting WiFi signal
Page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Author 
 Message
OtleyLad



Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 2737
Location: Otley, West Yorkshire
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 16 6:08 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

buzzy wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
Nick wrote:
boisdevie1 wrote:
Shed has power. Shed has thick masonry walls and foil backed insulation so I think perhaps Ethernet cable and a second router?


Power line adapters. Why lay cable when what you need is already there?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-powerline-500-essentials-edition-a72tc?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CP_CtZumpcwCFRIUGwodAvsM1w


If I bought such a device, is there any reason why I couldn't plug them into the 50m extension lead that I use when I want power in the field?


Can anyone tell me, from experience, if these powerline adapters have to be on the same ring circuit to work, or is being on the same household fuseboard enough?

Henry


They don't have to be on the same circuit, however, should one of the circuits trip, then the signal will be cut. But then you'd more than likely realise this at the time.

Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 14825
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 16 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I know that you can get some pretty impressive WiFi boosters: last week I found a fair signal in wood about 1/4 mile from the nearest house... I may go knock on doors next time I'm over that way and ask what it is they're using.

buzzy



Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 3137
Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 16 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hairyloon wrote:
I know that you can get some pretty impressive WiFi boosters: last week I found a fair signal in wood about 1/4 mile from the nearest house... I may go knock on doors next time I'm over that way and ask what it is they're using.


Perhaps the signal was from one of these modern fancy wildlife cameras, which apparently send pictures by wifi?

Henry

Hairyloon



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 14825
Location: Today I are mostly being in Yorkshire.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 16 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

buzzy wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
I know that you can get some pretty impressive WiFi boosters: last week I found a fair signal in wood about 1/4 mile from the nearest house... I may go knock on doors next time I'm over that way and ask what it is they're using.


Perhaps the signal was from one of these modern fancy wildlife cameras, which apparently send pictures by wifi?

Possibly, but from where would they be picking up the signal?

buzzy



Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 3137
Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 16 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

wellington womble wrote:
Nick wrote:
boisdevie1 wrote:
Shed has power. Shed has thick masonry walls and foil backed insulation so I think perhaps Ethernet cable and a second router?


Power line adapters. Why lay cable when what you need is already there?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-powerline-500-essentials-edition-a72tc?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CP_CtZumpcwCFRIUGwodAvsM1w


If I bought such a device, is there any reason why I couldn't plug them into the 50m extension lead that I use when I want power in the field?


Only that some such devices say in the instructions that they are only to be plugged into a wall socket, not into a trailing socket.

Henry

buzzy



Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 3137
Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 16 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

OtleyLad wrote:
buzzy wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
Nick wrote:
boisdevie1 wrote:
Shed has power. Shed has thick masonry walls and foil backed insulation so I think perhaps Ethernet cable and a second router?


Power line adapters. Why lay cable when what you need is already there?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-powerline-500-essentials-edition-a72tc?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CP_CtZumpcwCFRIUGwodAvsM1w


If I bought such a device, is there any reason why I couldn't plug them into the 50m extension lead that I use when I want power in the field?


Can anyone tell me, from experience, if these powerline adapters have to be on the same ring circuit to work, or is being on the same household fuseboard enough?

Henry


They don't have to be on the same circuit, however, should one of the circuits trip, then the signal will be cut. But then you'd more than likely realise this at the time.


Unfortunately the one I bought does not work if not plugged into the same circuit - says so in the instructions and trial and error proves this to be so.

Henry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->