About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Snow
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night's cold had more effect than I thought. Went out to my hodgepodge greenhouse and everything was frozen solid inside. Hopefully not too much permanent damage.

Cold of this morning was 27 F, tomorrow will hopefully not be lower than 26 F. (This is a situation where I feel the Fahrenheit scale really is more useful than Celsius, otherwise I'd be saying -3 and -3, and that one degree F can make a difference)

Guess I'll be adding row cover to my plastic covered beds....

Here's hoping the peas I'm breeding are doing okay under just row cover..... Probably going to double that up for tonight as well.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more wet hail

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking this evening (as I was wrapping my chillies and peppers up in fleece and making plans for the bank holiday weekend) that years ago, Gardeners' world was doing a trial on how much protection fleece gives and if it's more effective doubled. Does anyone know if there are any results anywhere? It must have been ages ago. Is GW still on?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 16 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Gardeners World is still on but I haven't watched it for years, so no idea what it is like now. It makes sense that doubled fleece helps because there is also a layer of air trapped between the layers, so that will insulate further.

I think we had some rain here in the night, and not sure what the temperature is; it certainly doesn't feel very warm this morning, but would be surprised if it went below 0 C as there was cloud cover for at least part of the night.

I checked my raised beds yesterday and had to earth up some early potatoes, but no damage seemed to have been done by the previous nights frost thank goodness. The seeds are keeping their heads down, so hope they come up in the end this year. They didn't last year.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 16 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today went from rain to sleet to hail to warm and sunny over a few hours .

i recon the onions are going tomorrow in unless we have a shower of frogs or a sandstorm

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 16 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would expect it to be warm enough for most things by 1st May, but this spring has been very cold. Glad I didn't go out for May Day dawn this morning as it must have been really cold. As a morris musician playing the violin I have had enough left hand in the pocket between tunes dawns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive