Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Waste Not - Reduce Food Waste

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 16 12:26 am    Post subject: Waste Not - Reduce Food Waste Reply with quote

Tips for reducing food waste: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/dining/tips-to-reduce-food-waste.html?contentCollection=smarter-living&hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 16 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Jam Lady. I notice they don't suggest making bread pudding with odd crusts or bread. My freezer has loads in, so I really must make another one soon.

Slim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 16 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Interesting Jam Lady. I notice they don't suggest making bread pudding with odd crusts or bread. My freezer has loads in, so I really must make another one soon.

I'm not sure I've ever seen bread pudding on our side of the pond.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 16 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blogged some ideas here - https://eco-gites.blogspot.fr/2015/03/9-top-tips-to-reduce-food-waste.html

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 16 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defra wouldnt like it (for good reason unless certain precautionary measures are used [ a big pressure cooker for instance] but with piggies as part of the system there is no such thing as food waste.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 16 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much with chickens (unless DEFRA are looking)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 16 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosie, from what I have seen and read about goats, most of them are fussy or paranoid. I knew one called Beltane who was about as difficult as they came. She developed a taste for tobacco; lighted if possible, and would pinch cigarettes from peoples hands.

Slim, I wonder why you don't have bread pudding in the US. It is a good way of using up odd bits of bread, and makes a good 'cake' or pudding.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 16 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose - I had a goat as a child and she too adored cigarettes (although never lit as far as I know) - and ryvita which luckily were easier to come by for 14 year old me!!

We moved this goat on in the end ... and she left in the back of a London Taxi

Now, can I remember how to do shorter links - Yes I can ... Goat in a London Taxi

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 16 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a tiny proportion of the food that we grow or buy leaves the property. We have four compost bins on the go in the garden for any veg waste. Our dog is on a raw food diet so gets through a fair bit of veg too (cabbage stalks, etc). Only the odd bit of cooked food makes it into the landfill bin.

We have a small fliptop bin that we use in the kitchen for peelings, etc. It does get mouldy/stinky though after a few weeks and needs a dose of bleach to freshen it up.

Ideally there would be something we could line it with which could go on the compost heap too but so far we've not found a practical solutions. Any ideas?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes put shredded paper in the bottom of the peelings bin. A friend used to line hers with newspaper. The alternative is to remember to empty it on a weekly basis. I give ours a rinse out then just wash it out properly. Perhaps not as effective as bleach, but doesn't damage the plastic so much and uses no chemicals.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 16 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtleyLad wrote:
Only a tiny proportion of the food that we grow or buy leaves the property. We have four compost bins on the go in the garden for any veg waste. Our dog is on a raw food diet so gets through a fair bit of veg too (cabbage stalks, etc). Only the odd bit of cooked food makes it into the landfill bin.

We have a small fliptop bin that we use in the kitchen for peelings, etc. It does get mouldy/stinky though after a few weeks and needs a dose of bleach to freshen it up.

Ideally there would be something we could line it with which could go on the compost heap too but so far we've not found a practical solutions. Any ideas?

What about a couple of sheets of newspaper?

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 16 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://therealjunkfoodproject.org/

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 16 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put kitchen paper at the bottom of mine. I have in the past used paper compost bags from waitrose. They worked very well, but are possibly costly (relatively) and a bit of a waste as they aren't reused. I now have a very small bin that I put in the dishwasher every so often, as we don't have much veg waste. Peelings etc go straight to the one of the worm bins and nearly everything else goes to the chickens. It's only lemons, coffee grounds and onion skins that go in the compost nowadays. The worms don't like them.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a sink tidy and give it to the worms. They don't seem to object that the stuff at the bottom has started to rot a bit.

One of our local supermarkets is kind enough to give the surplus fruit and veg to the local food bank. One of my duties is to go to pick it up. It is so nice to be able to give fresh stuff to our clients, as that is something we can't store, so can't ask people to donate. Along the same lines as the 'trash cafe's' you posted HL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive