Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Best way to find property to rent
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 4:29 pm    Post subject: Best way to find property to rent Reply with quote

Hi everyone, me and Mr Mazoo have wanted to move somewhere with land and live a more sustainable life for years. We have actually decided to do it now, instead of just dreaming.

The trouble is I can't figure out the best way to find a house to rent. On the usual big property sites there seem to be hardly any suitable places with land. They really seem to see 'town centre' and postage stamp size garden as selling points. We saw one property on greenshifters website but it has gone before we could get in touch with the owner.

Of course I'm not asking for people to do all the searching but what we would like, ( just in case their are any volunteers lurking! ) is something in Anglesey or North or possibly West Wales. We would also consider North Yorkshire or further oop North. There is just the 2 of us so we don't need a large house. anything from a large garden to an acre or 2 and ideally a workshop for our small business tinkering. Our ideal place would be not far from the coast.

Does anyone have any advice on what worked for them? We think renting from people who understand the lifestyle would be best as we want to be able to grow stuff etc....but what are the best ways to find them?

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local estate agents round here offer that kind of property. Find the local town and hunt out the equivalent.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard

Like Nick said, look local....nothing replaces the footwork,although we did find a reasonable place on Gumtree a few years ago!

Stay in an area for a while, get to know it well. This may seem a waste of time and money when you could be getting on with things, but learning how a particular place works can be vital...and you might pick up information on the local grapevine...saves moving somewhere quickly and realizing you've made a ghastly mistake (We did that too )

Mazoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice to contact local estate agents, I'm not sure how to get to know areas without renting somewhere to stay though....maybe visit them in our camper van?

Thanks for the replies.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to get lucky and have a friend who happens to know someone, but I'm afraid that's not something we get to choose so that wasn't very helpful, sorry.

Good luck.

Mazoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
The best way is to get lucky and have a friend who happens to know someone, but I'm afraid that's not something we get to choose so that wasn't very helpful, sorry.

Good luck.

Yep i'm waiting to be lucky and the ideal place just to come along

i have a friend that lives in Anglesey, so will recruit them to the search at least.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazoo wrote:
Good advice to contact local estate agents, I'm not sure how to get to know areas without renting somewhere to stay though....maybe visit them in our camper van?

Thanks for the replies.

might be worth dropping bodger a pm on here, he is in that area and might be able to advise you.
p.s. as a new member you migyt not be able to pm yet so I did and pointed him to this thread.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t know about rents in other parts of the country,but the farmhouse nextdoor with a large garden,2 infact and a workshop is rented at £650 per month,near Lampeter/Aberaeron.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by a strange coincidence someone has just come on facebook offering a house to rent... In Leeds unfortunately.

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that in Lancashire and Cumbria the Agents to look at are Richard Turner and Sons (terrible website btw), Armistead Barnett and Ackland Bracewell Surveyors.

Unfortunately I don't know any in North or West Wales

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
And by a strange coincidence someone has just come on facebook offering a house to rent... In Leeds unfortunately.

House in Leeds with land/garden?

Mazoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou everyone for you help. I wouldn't necessarily rule out somewhere in Leeds, it has to 'feel' right I suppose but we have our preferred areas, if you see what I mean.

Mazoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
Mazoo wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

might be worth dropping bodger a pm on here, he is in that area and might be able to advise you.
p.s. as a new member you migyt not be able to pm yet so I did and pointed him to this thread.

That's very kind of you. i read Bodger's cider thread

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazoo wrote:
Thankyou everyone for you help. I wouldn't necessarily rule out somewhere in Leeds, it has to 'feel' right I suppose but we have our preferred areas, if you see what I mean.

Depending what you want to do, Leeds is pretty good for foodie types, farmers markets, etc. Further out along Calderdale you've got Incredible Edible Todmorden and the arty hippies of Hebden Bridge too

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 16 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazoo wrote:
Pilsbury wrote:
Mazoo wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

That's very kind of you. i read Bodger's cider thread

did you read they are looking to move...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive