About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How many screws...
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 12:16 pm    Post subject: How many screws... Reply with quote

...do you need to own before you have the right size and number for anything, ever? *Stomps off to hardware shop.*

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you need, I expect I've got something that would only cost a few pennies plus £5 p&p.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get "bargain" packs from screwfix etc but even though i get boxes of a particular size to top up with im often stuck for enough of the size i need when i need em.

getting a box of a sort for a job does often leave spares but the chances of the spares being enough or the right size for the next job is often low.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a small pack of what I needed and carefully put the rest aside so that they can be slightly wrong for another job in the future.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd swear I had bought the entire screw stock of screwfix and still come up short at times

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a word of warning, this is true also for nails, and things to hang pictures, and bolts, and nuts, and a bunch of other stuff so that you can leap into action to do those urgent jobs she thinks need doing.

At some point, you do actually get there, but my experience suggests that either you then die, and leave it all, with tons of other crap, to your son in law, OR, your garage burns down and you have to go to B&Q/Screwfix/Bob's hardware for *every* single damn job for the next ten years, as you never have the right thing.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently uncovered my last 20 years worth of fuse purchases. I must have at least 60 or 70 of the buggers

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betcha none of them are the right amperage for the next one that blows in your house.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a small hardware shop and would watch the screws and nails daily so I wouldn't run out never ever!

dpack has the screws you should have had from Screwfix, jema to make sure you didn't run out of those screws. I on the other hand never run out of any of the screws and nails that I have in stock!

Of course tahir, having all those fuses means you will have a lot of hand tools to sell-yes?

On a serious note I take pallets apart, and have I got a collection of fully re-useable nails and as I make things out of pallet wood I use some of them..........note to self, must find some more pallets with 3" nails in!

onemanband

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then when you do have enough screws to organise into partitioned cases, you end up carting three or four 10kg cases to the workplace and only using 4 screws from one case, 6 from another and running out of 4inch screws because the compartment didn't hold enough.

chez

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith says it's ok to throw used ones away though.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if they're very rusty or the heads are badly chewed.

onemanband

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:

And all slotted screws must be thrown away.
And whatever screws are provided with a product - I generally bin them to prevent assembly rage caused by the monkey-metal screws mashing up.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 16 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:
Chez wrote:

And all slotted screws must be thrown away.
And whatever screws are provided with a product - I generally bin them to prevent assembly rage caused by the monkey-metal screws mashing up.

first one yes,except in the case of antique ones, especially hand made antique ones , an off centre slot can make hundreds of pounds difference if it is period to a good piece that has been patched up with "modern" to the time of the mending screws or nails. a bronze turnscrew is a handy tool for putting them in so as it looks like they are original to the piece ie no scratches.

second one almost always spot on screws and plugs that come with the items are usually dreadful on many levels especially flat pack or fasten to a wall things . 5 hook coat racks that come with fixings that would barely hold it empty are a crime against humanity.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 16 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to have the same trouble with screws and bolts. Somehow we never seem to have the right sized bolts for the tractors. Knitting needles seem to be the same too; can never find the right size, although I must have virtually every size in both metric and SWG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive