About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Old shed for kindling?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 16 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting that into context the worst result is something like 0.1g per kg. I rather suspect that most garden soil in some areas of arsenic containing rock wouldn't pass the test for arsenic in Florida, as that is very low indeed.

If you get a bonfire going really well, then put the treated wood on in small amounts if it has only organic treatment, most should be broken down, but avoid breathing the smoke anyway.

The question is, is it better to burn treated wood and have the nasties disperse into the air with the smoke, with some left in the ash, or put the whole lot into landfill where all the nasties remain. If it is used for power station fuel, that will improve things no end, but the scrubbing fluids and ash will have high concentrations of all sorts of things and will have to be disposed off too.

chez

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 16 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cripes. After all that, I've decided to rescue as much as I can and use it for a tree house for Leo. Problem solved . Mostly.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 16 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
The question is, is it better to burn treated wood and have the nasties disperse into the air with the smoke, with some left in the ash, or put the whole lot into landfill where all the nasties remain...

Are the nasties not natural nasties that were dug out of the ground in the first place?
Do they bio-accumulate or are they excreted?

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 16 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

landfill leachate is an issue,hence well organised toxic waste dumps have linings and caps to reduce it.

the nasty metals were mined originally and any water flowing through such ores is often high in them but as most is locked into the rock that is not the same as putting the used product in an old gravel pit and popping a bit of topsoil over it when it is full

as ash the metals are very available to be dissolved and leach into the environment

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 16 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were talking of having a waste tip near us, but the local water board objected as it was right above their aquifer, and they didn't trust the lining. It is gault clay there and judging by the works on the nearby motorway going through it, not that stable, as they have had to rework the bank several times.

I would have a look at the shed Chez. If it is green or obviously smells of creosote of something, not really suitable for reuse as a playhouse. Otherwise, should be all right, but always best to get him to wash his hands before eating anything as you never know. I don't believe in hand washing for good clean dirt, but am very particular about chemicals.

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 16 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
They were talking of having a waste tip near us, but the local water board objected as it was right above their aquifer, and they didn't trust the lining. It is gault clay there and judging by the works on the nearby motorway going through it, not that stable, as they have had to rework the bank several times.

An old landfill was deemed an EPA superfund site near my parents home years ago. My brother was hired as a temp worker on the lining procedure. They used 3 layers of impervious kevlar like fabric to line the bottom and the top, in addition to layers of earth and gravel, and thorough site drainage for monitoring. If it were done that way, I think your aquifer would be fine. If they were relying on a clay layer as the liner, I would also be anxious.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 16 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were going to use the natural clay for lining. It is pretty impervious, but of course tree roots grow though it. The aquifer is rather important as it supplies water for the whole of Portsmouth and surrounding areas. It also supplied Gibralter in 1976 when they and we had a severe drought and they had to ship water into Gib.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive