Recipes            
Latest Articles
Do I want ducks?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 16 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam Lady wrote:
Bird safe slug trap with metaldehyde slug pellets:

1) Take clean, empty 2 liter plastic soda bottle.
2) Cut apart at top of cylinder.
3) Invert top piece (sort of like a funnel) into cylinder and staple together.
4) Toss slug bait into trap and lay it down in shady area popular with slugs.
5) Slugs, attracted by bait, squelch their way inside. Not being terrible bright they cannot find their way back out.
6) When device has served its purpose - wrap in newspaper and dispose of in trash.
7) Make more traps, as needed.

Of course none of us drink soda, let alone 2 liter bottles worth. But we all know poor benighted souls who do, who would no doubt be glad to put their empties to such a useful purpose.

I do that sort of thing for wasps, slugs never occurred to me! And presumably it stops the slugs getting out and into the wild food chain?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely try that in the veg beds. The best thing for me is to cut sections of plastic milk bottle (I switch to two pint bottles especially in the spring!) over the young plants. I put copper tape round them if I have any, but just the plastic collar works well. I'd imagine you could make traps with the milk bottles as well.

Still might get some Aylesbury ducks, though. I rather like those green ones, too. I need to rethink foxes again, as I lost most of my large fowl about 10am this morning.

chickenlady

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a brilliant idea, Jam Lady. Thank you.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appear to have found myself at a poultry auction. Ducks abound. Naturally, I'm after some hens!

chez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 16 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're worse than I am

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 16 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fox has just taken a load of hens, so I needed some layers for eggs. The next village has a pet and poultry auction every Wednesday, but I can only go when mum's here to put J to bed, so it was a last minute decision.

I didn't buy any ducks, despite a pair of Appleyards and a some mixed ones. All going for not much. And oodles of ducklings, going for less than a quid each.

I didn't buy any small furry things either, despite there being mum and baby guinea pig groups and eleventy billion baby mini lop rabbits which were extra fluffily cute. Or half a dozen chinchillas, which we're going for about £8.

I didn't buy any quails, which were going for 50p each. And I didn't buy the Lavender Pekins, which went for £14 for a pair of hens (I slightly regret this, as I liked them a lot, and I think it was an ok deal. I'm not a natural at auctions, though and I can't process fast enough whether I want things at what they are going for. They were earlier than the other lots I really wanted, and I wanted to save my cash for grown up hens. There were loads of silkies, too.

I did buy four Warren pullets for six pounds each, and two Welsummer hens for eight pounds each. Although I only wanted three Warrens, the last one didn't go, so I had it for a fiver, and the Welsummers weren't going at reserve, and were the last lot I was interested in, so I daringly made a snap decision. I quite enjoy the auction, but it's probably a good job I can't go more often.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I seem to have ducks. I didn't mean to, but I was offered some to rehome.

chickenlady

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things are just meant to be.

Fee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 18 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you still got them? Have they helped the slug population?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 18 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They never arrived. I did hatch some later in the year though. Messiest creatures I’ve ever owned. Truly vile. I don’t know how people manage them!

Fee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 18 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the slugs?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 18 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, I went so loopy with chickens I didn’t get round to growing anything at all last year. I do not imagine you would want ducks anywhere near your vegetables, though.

Imagine getting a toddler of around 18 months old. Give them some antibiotics and put them in the bath. Fill the bath with six inches of warm water. Feed them soup, spaghetti, jelly, custard and several jars of purée. Leave them there all day. At the end of the day, that’s what a duck cage looks like. The duck will be paddling around in it, happy as a clam.

They are cute though.

leggy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 18 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6dppU8ZbY
Watched this video where a mesh frames placed in the way of the drinking water ,he claims it cuts down on the mess?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive