links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ceiling light problem
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 12:10 pm    Post subject: Ceiling light problem Reply with quote

I'm hoping one of you electricity gurus will be able to offer some help please?

We have a problem where three lights are not working but two others on the same breaker circuit are. Now I've changed the switches, tested that there is a live going to the switches and also tested that there is a live making it to the light fitting itself, which all pass. Yet when you turn on the switch nothing happens, oh and I've also tried a new bulb and also a new light fitting. I'm flumoxed. Any sage advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mains? 12v?

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry, mains.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a clue then. With low voltage I'd have suggested dead transformers.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

continuity of circuit?

is the return faulty?

tis a bit difficult to diagnose remotely but at the mo my money is on a wiring problem but a faulty fitting or loose connection to a fitting could be the break point.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well nothing has change with the lights themselves but we had a problem that when we turned the outside like on the kitchen and dining room lights would dim and or flicker. Yesterday morning we had a leak through the hallway ceiling from a central heating pipe I went up to look under the floorboards and an old electricity pipe, the steel ones (I think they were steel) that they used to run wire's through was resting on the heating pipe and seemd to be live as I got a shock off it. I lifted the old pipe up and there was water squirting out of the heating pipe. I turned the electricity off so I could sort the heating pipe and it's after this that they won't come on. The old electricity pipe is still live but I don't know how this is possible. Might it be that causing my problem?

How do I check that the return is okay?

Thanks.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my house, with an electrician. Specially near water.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you have a point Nick. I was just trying to solve it myself as I like to tinker.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sure it's not beyond people. Just me. I know my limits.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Well nothing has change with the lights themselves but we had a problem that when we turned the outside like on the kitchen and dining room lights would dim and or flicker. Yesterday morning we had a leak through the hallway ceiling from a central heating pipe I went up to look under the floorboards and an old electricity pipe, the steel ones (I think they were steel) that they used to run wire's through was resting on the heating pipe and seemd to be live as I got a shock off it. I lifted the old pipe up and there was water squirting out of the heating pipe. I turned the electricity off so I could sort the heating pipe and it's after this that they won't come on. The old electricity pipe is still live but I don't know how this is possible. Might it be that causing my problem?

How do I check that the return is okay?

Thanks.

Sounds like there is a loose/damaged wire that is causing the shock/flickering lights, etc.
An electrician would have to find the wire in question so you could save time/money if you could isolate it yourself.
I'd get into the ceiling space above the lights and trace the wires back to the light switch. Probably means lifting carpets/floorboards but better you do it than pay an electrician.
If it is live up to the light fitting but the light is still not functioning then it does suggest the return (black or blue) wire has come loose or is damaged somewhere. Often the return wire will go back to a junction box to gather returns from other circuits. Can you locate it?

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OL. I'll pull up boards and trace the wire back. I'm wondering if a junction box has been used somewhere and a wire in there has got damaged and it's that that is causing an old pipe to be live.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Thanks OL. I'll pull up boards and trace the wire back. I'm wondering if a junction box has been used somewhere and a wire in there has got damaged and it's that that is causing an old pipe to be live.

Sometimes wires can just work loose especially if they were only marginally secure in the first place.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what they said or it might be a tube/box full of water.

if you have isolated the circuit properly checking for water or a physical break is a lot safer than if you have not . even wet ceilings can give you a nasty jolt.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another odd thing I've just thought is that the light nearest the leak is fine, it's the three lights furthest away that aren't working.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

water can run down ducting etc

disturbing one thing can cause another thing to pop loose ( a common effect in less than perfect electrics )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive