Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ceiling light problem
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 16 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Another odd thing I've just thought is that the light nearest the leak is fine, it's the three lights furthest away that aren't working.

Could just be that the leak has damaged power from that point on (after that light)

Regardless, be extremely cautious and remember that an electrician's expense will be more easily forgotten than a mortician's.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 16 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be Slim. I treat electricity with the utmost respect.

I've have a good look under the floorboards last night whilst repairing the pipe. The old electricity pipe that is live has going over it the wire that I think it taking the power to the three lights that are not working, so I'll be taking the floorboards up in our bedroom to have a look at if it is shorting there.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 16 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you have old re-wireable fuses and not a modern RCD/RCBO fuse box?

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 16 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trea,

We've got a circuit breaker box. No fuses to be seen.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 16 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore me, I forgot the old regs still allowed for somewhat dodgy wiring. If you have an RCD it'll probably not protect the lights, still allowing for a fault in the lighting circuit to make something else live. I had initially thought the RCD should have tripped stopping the old electric pipe from becoming live. Another reason why I like all circuits to be protected by RCBOs.

Anyway, Sgt, you're still alive. Any progress in the bedroom.

(Edit to add, the latest regs now have all circuits protected by RCDs now I think? Normally two in a consumer unit?)

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 16 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Trea

Well it's looking like you've said about the RCD not tripping with this old pipe being live.

Not until tomorrow night. As I've got commitments tonight that I can't get out of. I'll report back on Thursday.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 16 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the problem fixed.

Took the floorboards up, which hadn't been taken up before (in the wrong place first of all). So I then found the place and looked at the wires which all seemed fine but it looked like it was over where the living room light was. I went down stairs and removed the light from the ceiling and one of the return wires had come lose from the juction. So this wire must have been touching the mounting plate, which was then touching or a screw was touching the old pipework.

It was just a shame I had to pull floorboards up to find this out but Mrs C was most pleased that there was light in the dining room.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys even yours Nick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive