Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ross Cobb meat birds
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 17 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
Shan, I've got seven keats that I hatched about five or six weeks ago. I had some twenty odd years ago and I'm all at sea with these. Maybe we could exchange notes: I'd try and get a photo but we still haven't sorted PB or a substitute.

You can always post pics straight to here using the Attach File link as long as you've got them on your computer. PhotoBucket don't appear to be backing down at all.

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 17 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know Sean

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 17 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try get some photos of the little blighters today.

PS Madam chicken has taught them to dig!

chez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 17 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
Thanks NMG and Shan.

That's very sad. Is that a fault with the breed or because of how they are reared?

It's a bit of both. The breed is designed to grow extremely quickly for commercial purposes but it 'can' be slowed down by lowering protein levels. Trouble is, when supermarkets are selling chickens so cheaply, every extra day increases the cost.

e.g. Ross 308 Performance statistics:

*Live weight at 56 days: 4kg
*Live weight at 70 days: 4.9kg
*Performance as hatched, males can reach 5kg+ at 84 days (12 weeks)

It's the first time we've tried them and I've been feeling my way a bit. I understand that when they're done very intensively they take them to eight weeks and that's that. These definitely weren't ready to be worth doing at eight weeks but between 9 and 11 they have exploded in size. They've been fed on standard grower's pellets and a bit of corn thrown down in the evening. They don't move around much amd are really, realky dopey. The meat is okay, but not as flavourful as the traditional breeds. It's food though, I know where it's come from, I know it's been treated well; and it's been a learning experience.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 17 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is a compromise - regardless of being Ross Cobbs, they are bound to taste a damn sight better than a supermarket reared chicken.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 17 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be some variations on the general theme around. I was looking at Piggotts Poultry in Hertfordshire. They have a few different meat strains bred for free range fast rearing, which I think would be worth a go. The only reasons I haven't tried them is I don't have the capacity to take 50 in one go just at the moment. They do deliver, but I know where they are, so I'll probably go and fetch them, when I figure out housing. I think I could only take them if I've no other young birds.

I think Judith tried Sassos and found them a bit tough. I've got Dorkings, croads, light Sussex, Ixworth, Poulet de Bresse and Faverolles here at the moment. I thought next year I'd keep a hen from each, and the dopiest cockerel and try all the crosses to see which gave the best roasters, but compare with some commercial meat birds at the beginning of the season, before I hatch. I'll only be able to do it at the end of the season, now. I'd need to get the birds in september. And dispatch November, and I think that's too late.

How long did your cobbs need heat for? Did they feather any faster, or just grow bigger, faster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive