Redmite
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 17 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
every time i see the title i itch, thanks

boil wash clothes,have a long shower, antihistamine cream is nice:lol:

Sorry about the itching.

They don't bother me. For ages, I was finding mites walking across my tablet screen in bed (after I shut up the hens at night) and I thought we had head lice, so treated us for that. They don't seem bite me, although I am already on high-strength, prescription-only antihistamines so I possibly wouldn't notice if they did bite!

The mites were in the eglu, which is harder to see into than a wooden house, and I just didn't notice. Poor stockmanship, I know. I did eradicate them, but either the birds themselves or the ground underneath them has reinfected the new house in a big way, in a short length of time. I wish the steam cleaner was working. I'm sure that would do for the buggers. And it would be even more satisfying than hoovering them up.

My other issue is the quail. These are handily located between the garden eglu that is really infested, and the wooden house with the stupid design. They is the odd mite in their houses but the don't sleep in it. I can't see any in their run, but I don't think I could spot then on the ground anyway. I can move them more easily.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 17 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
You can ask your vet to prescribe the cow stuff. Eprinex. The bottle is cow-sized and lasts for ages, obvs. Don't use it on the cock birds though, it interferes with fertility.

Is that ivermectin? I was vaguely wondering about frontline. I've used effectively for lice before.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 17 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eprinex or ivermectin pour on - you only need 3 drops for s standars hybrid and 4 for Orps or cockerels. Dont eat the eggs for at least a week.
Treat them again in 3 weeks.

For the house we used Dairy fly spray undiluted and then when dry with new wood shaving and poured a liberal dose of antpowder on top for them to dustbathe in.
Do the house every 4 days. We jetwashed it first, then moved it at least 100 yards before treating.

Thank God I dont have hens anymore - I spent a fortune on killing red mite.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 17 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure washing is my new favourite thing. It's so satisfying! Byyyeeee mites (I poured six kettlefuls of boiling water over the ground too) Surely that will make a dent in the population at the very least?!

I did the perches from the big house, too. They're a bit old and crusty, and there was redmite living underneath the crud. I was going to burn them and buy new, but now they are all as good as new. I'm never scraping perches again! Hopefully, my new steam cleaner will arrive tomorrow, and I've also been out with the blow torch. A good steam is the last chance for the small house I think, because it should be mostly doable from the outside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive