About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Where's the honey gone!
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 17 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the bees not being able to get out and forage.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 17 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climate change is having an effect.
The weather pattern here is mild late winter/early spring, followed by warm dry springs. & then wet cooler summers.
The met office confirms this trend with 9 from the last 13 years.
You should IMHO be setting your beekeeping calendar a month earlier.

As for feeding now, the Ivy has started flowering here & between showers my bees are working so I'm not reaching for the sugar yet.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 17 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you feed when your bees are hungry! First lot of sugar syrup went into the feeders yesterday evening, 2 1/2 litres per hive: feeders were checked this morning and all 3 were bone dry. OH was flabbergasted. There really have been bees feeding on all the flowers, ornamental and fruit/veg blossom, all summer, weather permitting, and plenty in the garden today.

I think you're right re the beekeepers' calendar though.

Second lot of syrup is cooling as I type.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 17 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plants are typically going to flower regardless of conditions (to a point), but the amount of excess sugar they have to put towards something like nectar is completely dictated by how much sun they're getting.

The sun was up for about the same number of hours every day this week, but my solar panels only generated about 2.5 kwh the other day because of the clouds. The day after they generated 14.5 kwh.

It's the same way with plants, but it's a carbon budget not an electrical one. First the plant needs to be meeting its energy needs for respiration (day to day life), then for structural needs (building leaves and flowers), then depending upon the plant (annual or perennial) it will be allocating sugar to storage (starch in roots) or enhancing reproductive success (e.g., nectar) or some combination of both.

The amount of absolute power shining down really drops with just a bit of cloud cover, so even with lots of bee visits, there may not be enough sun to make lots of nectar.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 17 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the condition of the bees to consider. Firstly, if it is very wet they can't get out to forage, and if it is windy they will be bringing in less as they need some for energy to get there and back. Secondly, if it is still warm there may be a longer reproduction season, so more bees in the hive for longer and more mouths, both adult and larvae to feed.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 17 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very gloomy really. Last night's feed went the way of Tuesday night's: feeders empty this morning. 3rd lot in feeders now.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 17 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be storing most of it if their stores are badly depleted, so I wouldn't worry that they are taking it all. Now is the time they want to make sure they have enough stores for winter and they will still be very active, so a good time to lay them in.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 17 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd night's syrup has also disappeared...OH off to buy more sugar...

We're certainly hoping they're storing it.

[/img]

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 17 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect anybody to follow my philosophy on beekeeping but there are many like me who are finding a more natural approach does work.
Flowers, as slim says will flower regardless but nectar flow can be seriously depleted by wet cooler summers.

White clover which has been a reliable crop & a mainstay of the beekeeper for generations is much reduced. Because of nectar only being produced at temps over 20c, & when produced easily knocked down & diluted by heavy rain. Also so few pastures are managed now in a way that encourages white clover so it's not as prevalent as it used to be.
Ivy as I have said many times here in the past has the ability to recharge its nectaries until pollination is successful.
That's good for the bees & the plant, & makes it a very reliable source.

I will feed sugar in an emergency. But if you are going to feed sugar until they stop taking it, you will end up with a hive full of sugar, also bees that wont bother foraging, even on days when it's possible. It's part of a bees nature to gather from the nearest & strongest source first. So if there's a full feeder on top the hive, they aren't going to waste energy flying to a source a few hundred metres away.

In emergency I make blocks of fondant.
Feeding syrup can encourage breeding & I would rather have bees that breed when nectar is abundant & reduce breeding when it's not.
A kilo of fondant on top of a hive will keep even a large colony alive for a week a smaller one longer.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 17 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright mate? Long time no see, how's things?

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 17 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.
More in touch with nature than ever, & loving my land even more as well.
Had a long internet break, needed to spend time in the real world & get things done.
Have I missed anything?

gz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 17 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

missed you and your blogging as well, Tavascarow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive