Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
whats this one,Buzzy?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 18 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
they are ok if you leave em alone, sharing a territory or working in theirs can upset them a bit .

when i built a winter home ( in summer ) the " locals " were a bit tetchy at first, nearly 2 decades on i still have scars from the 5 stings to the leg .
we got on after their initial fury but whatever the literature says they have a poke nastier than bee or wasp .

learning to live with them includes learning when to run at least 25 meters ( away from their nest )

once they get to know you they seem mostly ok unless surprised or confused .

However, a few years ago my neighbour put her foot in a shoe that contained a hornet. It stung her twice, but she said it wasn't as bad as a standard wasp sting.

Henry

Slim

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 18 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy wrote:
dpack wrote:
they are ok if you leave em alone, sharing a territory or working in theirs can upset them a bit .

when i built a winter home ( in summer ) the " locals " were a bit tetchy at first, nearly 2 decades on i still have scars from the 5 stings to the leg .
we got on after their initial fury but whatever the literature says they have a poke nastier than bee or wasp .

learning to live with them includes learning when to run at least 25 meters ( away from their nest )

once they get to know you they seem mostly ok unless surprised or confused .

However, a few years ago my neighbour put her foot in a shoe that contained a hornet. It stung her twice, but she said it wasn't as bad as a standard wasp sting.

Henry

That settles it then, your hornets are not so nasty as ours!

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 18 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ones that had me were far nastier than any wasp or bee i have encountered.

if i was to rate em honey bee gets a 1 , wasps get a 1 to 1.5 and derbyshire hornets get a 2 and a bit.

maybe it is me but the huge red lumps seemed a perfect setting for the dissolving flesh at the injection site. once the initial venom necrosis had made soup of finger tip size holes in about 12 hrs it took a bit of decent nursing care and a few months to heal the lesions and a couple of years for the scars to settle.

for comparison the spider that made me think the back of my hand was going to split only gets a 2 on the pain and damage scale.

gz

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 18 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Slim wrote:
Any Asian Longhorn Beetle scares in the British Isles yet?

yes:

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/asianlonghornbeetle

That is a scarily long list of hosts
report to the Forestry dept if found?

Slim

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 18 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If found, report to as many as will listen!

The state of Vermont sent a pancake breakfast to the city of Worcester Massachusetts in gratitude for their rigorous quarantine after it was found there. It was considered that they had saved the nation's largest producing state of maple syrup

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 18 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a nice idea Slim. The Forestry Commission is being as vigilant as cuts in staff will allow, and they certainly have some very good people working in the pests and diseases department. Sadly 'free trade' doesn't match with stopping things getting in, especially as border inspections aren't too good with again, cuts in staff. There have been some controls brought in; I don't think chestnut or ash can be imported now, although they can as firewood and other biomass, and that can be a problem if all the infective agents aren't carefully removed. Unlicenced wood shavings for packaging have been the infecive agent in several cases, which is why all reputable makers obey the strict controls in place on its processing.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 18 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a dry roadside just outside Forfar...luckily I hadn't driven over it

buzzy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 18 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that was Northern Marsh Orchid (but I was never an expert on orchids). A lovely specimen, well photographed. Thanks for posting it.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 18 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's lovely Gz. I am not sure which orchid it is, but I suppose they will be coming up soon. We get pyramid orchids by the roadside here, and I suppose we will be looking out for common spotted orchids now too.

gz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 18 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I saw some sort of Black veined white butterfly today (back in the hills again).
Unfortunately no camera to hand, and being hot weather it was flitting about fast!

I've only seen white butterflies so far...and only one orange tip.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 18 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could have been a green veined white as the adults are supposed to be around at this time of year. There are a couple of other butterflies it could have been too, including a female orange tip, but that is more splodgy dark colour than veined.

Butterflies do move about fast in warm weather, which makes taking pictures rather tricky. I have a lasting memory of one of our rather mature volunteers trying to get a picture of a silver washed fritillary and trying to keep up with the various butterflies flitting around.

gz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 18 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up in the Galloway Hills, clearing grass and buttercups from around an azalea planted in a tyre,underneath a goat willow tree,found this lovely beastie

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 18 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big moth? im fairly sure i have seen em before and they turned out to be big moth but that isnt much of an id

watch out for the spines

buzzy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 18 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you sniff it? It ought to have smelt strongly of goat, since it is the larva of a Goat Moth (Cossus cossus). It had probably been feeding on the Goat (!) Willow, leaving large holes, with exit holes near the base. When ready to pupate (after several years as a larva) they leave the tree for somewhere to pupate, but I've yet to find a suggestion of what sort of place that might be!

Nice find.

Henry

gz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 18 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive