Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 20 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is a bit vocal at times but the squeaks and screams were awesome, far better than the ones from above when he lost a cabbage, and we saw a head doing gravity through a 100 ft from below

wildlife can be fun, my revenge of the bait shriek was quite good, never ever spike yourself on a gurnard
it hurts and unless you can find coagulants you might bleed out through a hole no bigger than a darning needle one

i decided to see if letting a big caterpillar in kernow walk on me was safe, there were quite a few, and they were rather active, by the time it had got to my elbow the trail was going rather red and sore on the back of my hand, i relocated it, without harm to the pillar, before it got to my armpit and had the line for a couple of months

tt often teases me about my close relationship with wildlife but it does have merit if only in that incidents with cat 1,2 or 3 critters do educate one for playing with cat 4 ones than can easily kill you by whatever means:lol:

i still fancy a 3 environment* vivarium full of little, pretty, toxic frogs

*clean swamp+damp land+"tree"(small tree to fit in the double box)+ something still eating the bugs that make it toxic etc
i could do it but do i need the tension?
when there was a toddler in the house it seemed daft even though i was asked if i might play by very froggy folk, perhaps the mutt can take his chances
no

and i would never want to ask the neighbours "can i have my frog back please?"

i never want to play with hardcore snakes, a big one that is not very toxic(11 1/2' long, thigh size in the middle , about 45 kg before he had lunch) is my limit for the long chaps
cobra with nowt but a few feet between me and it was enough to convince me i am not a hardcore snake wrangler
(snake hunter, perhaps, they are delicious)

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 20 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffier wild life news:

tweed is looking well on her serious mission to feed justin's kids

the bracks have a, or perhaps 2of, addition/s to the family

bright, dark, wet, rapid changes are a bit of an issue for snaps over the last week or more
i have not set up for foul weather but i have the means to do it.
having trimmed my bush, done the cleaning, sorted the lighting reflectors too wet to consider taking a camera out was

i have a big umbrella and i am not afraid to use it

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 20 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
wondering where our newly arrived swallows had gone...found that the people next door but one had knocked off the nests
At least some have decamped to neighbour over the road's garage...

very bad luck for them is the traditional take on that throughout swift and swallow territory(worse than breaking mirrors)
in Greece they are honoured guests, same in kernow, same in a yorkshire barn

grrrr

let them know they have cursed themselves and nature will provide remedy that they will not escape

wildlife and countricide(no spelling error)act might apply, i do not know that sort of detail about scots law

shocking that peeps would do that, education and penance might be a starting option but let the curse run free is very tempting.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 20 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bird town news is good here

lots of young uns, new visitors to the restaurant include a thrush family

although i have had a few tipi hedron birds in the face moments we now have an understanding, i am harmless and useful things /do not panic

the sammison saga continues with the tale of the lost tail, no idea how it happened(violence is plausible) but stumpitu has only a third of what he should have, ouch and embarrassing
mice can be quite fierce but it may have been accident or enemy action, i will never know

sparrow world has quite a few youngsters, the clutch of 3 rather grey ones and a tweed 2 that seem to belong to justin's nest are doing will with auntie tweed acting as a very diligent handmaid:roll:
plantation life or are the "tweed genes" in the family?
if i have it right justin (who is very butch and dominant in the colony)is one clutch up from tweed, ie she is his little sis.

the boy eye make up thing is almost certainly for life, i can still tell them apart if i get a good look at them
with girls it might be feet and legs, the feather patterns are beyond me so far

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 20 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are up near Grantown on Spey for a few days' break...

Wildlife entertainment at suppertime!

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 20 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are up near Grantown on Spey for a few days' break...

Wildlife entertainment at suppertime!

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 20 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, we dont have reds here only bbq squizzers

the spey is nice, i know the higher bits better than the downstream ones

looking back on doing a river crossing of it is probably wise to look at it rather let it cuddle you

gz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 20 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. We went to Rumbling Bridge on the Hermitage forest walk...with the water comparatively low it was still vibrating
After rain it would be awesome and definitely viewing only

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 20 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see red squirrels. We only get them on the islands round here. Have a good time.

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 20 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see Reds. Used to get them in my garden in Norfolk fifty plus years ago.
Looks like a genuine British native, rather than one of those European interlopers (not that they asked to come over here, of course, so not their fault!).

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 20 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

podcast about wasps

this year there seem to be less, same with bees, some but not lots as in previous years

it seems likely several nest sites no longer exist

hopefully this year's crop of queens will find new ones

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 20 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of trouble with a wasp yesterday. I had been eating lunch in the garden and one kept buzzing round me to get at the fruit juice left on my plate. I had to go inside and shut the door on it in the end. Have seen a reasonable number of bees, but not too many wasps for some reason, I agree.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 20 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to clear a safe space from stingy wasps put a kilo bag of sugar in a plastic bag, tie the top and poke a few cm dia holes in it
throw it into the bushes up to 50m away, and they will go there and not to your cream tea

over 50m they may do both, too close and you still have a cloud of them.

that will last all season unless it lands badly and splits

practical advice from one who has lived with bad wasps in woodland

my local ones are sweet, we can even share a fruit picking day with no bother(although they do not like dogs), the derbyshire ones were rather fierce and best given wasp gelt to distract them

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 20 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little bracket and younger little bracket were dining together earlier
lots of young sparrows

i have lost track of who is related with most but justin's grey clutch+a new tweed are all still doing well
one of his clutch brothers has 2 out of four still about.

total numbers have roughly doubled, maybe about 20 individuals coming for food

i sort of know some of them but id at a flash of feathers can be a bit tricky
sorting out which adult girl it is beyond me at the mo unless she is with a chap who i know hey ho, not gender bias and patriarchy but i have no idea of a quick, easy seen, defining characteristic for the girls

i will try to find one as that could make study of the wee dinosaurs much easier

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 20 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best way is to get a lot of reasonable to good pictures and see if there are any distinguishing features. Study them at your leisure and use the information through the time they are with you.

Husband got stung by a bee yesterday. We have a hive in the woods, and this one just got him for no apparent reason. As it was near his hair line, he could have got in the 'bee line' back to the hive accidentally, and it actually hit his hair first and panicked. Anyway, some swelling, but not too much as he has been stung often enough not to react too badly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 74 of 192
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive