Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 21 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more invertebrates, 3 sorts of bees in the yard, housemartins getting food in knaresbrough, a few butterflies

huge random black rabbit spotted from the train, very watership down

almost certainly a wild one by place and behaviour, big, black fur
maybe an abandon or an escape or a huge melanistic one with random origins, for the short while i could see it, it did look like that was its territory

when i say big, not daft big like some fancy ones, perhaps3 kg if it was dressed for dinner ,ie very big hare size
ie 3 times the size of a common field bunny at his time of year

ps not in the slightest doing red eyes demonic stuff(WSD is hard core horror), it was hopping up a field being a happy sunny bunny

no moby dick in negative with the dark beast, even if some bunnies have giggled at me and some have been dinner
nice critter to see

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 21 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I used to work we had all colours of rabbit as the wild ones seemed to have crossed with escapees from the housing estate round the site. It used to be a big house and our buildings were an assortment built round it from WWII vintage onwards, so the rabbits tended to use the old bowling green.

Our 'up the yard' robin was back begging for food yesterday, so obliged with the chicken sandwich crumbs. Good home made bread, so should get some nourishment from it. It is also rather keen on crumbs from my home made biscuits.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 21 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdtown is very active

newest bracket is ok and has started independent visits to the diner

some boy sparrows are gathering nest lining materials, the cotton picking one had a lot of groundsel seed fluff for one small beak santa sparrow
most seem to be going for dry grass and/or a few feathers

the rough townie pigeons are fun but a little assertive, that will not go well with established birdtown, the last dik was mobbed by a mixed species crew for being rude
plenty of food, be polite in the queue

tweed and young tweed are MIA

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 21 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen outside my study window this afternoon

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 21 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice snap, deer are very pretty critters but they are a bit camera shy, well done to get them in frame and unaware

do you have the 17 yr cicada bloom in your bit of NJ?
i saw it somewhere in NJ on the news, it looked quite impressive and it is a neat way to overwhelm overground predators with number theory and numbers
among the various folk who were interview there were some who like em, some find them disruptive and one liked them fried in pancakes

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 21 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cicadas are very localized. We've had just a few on our property. There were more 17 years ago. Next town upriver they are supposedly covering the ground, ditto across the river in Pennsylvania. The last mass hatching 17 years ago was incredibly noisy. To the extent that I would be driving on the Interstate highway and could hear them with the car windows all rolled up.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 21 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice deer picture. I saw a roe deer yesterday evening while out for a walk in the woods, and a muntjac was out along the main ride lunchtime today when we went back for some charcoal. As long as it stays the other end of the wood I don't mind, but we don't want them as they are very destructive. Also found some new early purple orchids. The blackbird in the garden is currently making a lot of noise, so still warning others off his nesting/feeding territory I suspect.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 21 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit warmer and more flying inverts
still quiet

the bramble has been holding flower buds for a few weeks, it might do a big bloom soon, that should get a few bees and moths etc fed

dpack

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 21 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparrow babies

where there are two there will be lots soon going by the last couple of years.

and the squeaking in the bushes

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 21 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bramble has started to flower, hopefully the bees etc will enjoy the feast

only a few species and low numbers so far this year

very few hoverflies so far, there were three of the same sort a while back but not the constant hum of many like last year in May

birdtown has eaten most of a pint of mixed seed and dry worms since 6 30 am
for free range they do like their "processed foods"

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 21 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our brambles don't show any sign of flowering yet. The wild raspberries aren't in flower either, and they usually come first. There is a field of rape in the field north of the woods, so suspect that the insects that can have migrated to there. There are a few flowers out in the woods, but the first flush is over. The guelder rose is starting, and the field maple may have been in flower, which provides a good bit of nectar.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 21 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 21 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes... MY EYES. You took me to a Daily Sieg Heil site!!!!!!

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 21 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous deer photos Jam Lady.

We have plenty of sparrows nesting in the stables plus 2 swallows who keep flying in and seem to have a fascination for flying round like suicidal dive bombers whilst I'm in there.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 21 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
My eyes... MY EYES. You took me to a Daily Sieg Heil site!!!!!!

one should be aware of the darkside activities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 96 of 192
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive