Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 21 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some moths have got lovely patterns haven't they. Some have nice names associated with the patterns too, but can't remember any offhand.

When I came home yesterday there was a blackbird foraging around near the front door. Think it might be a young one as it wasn't the least bit frightened of me. Not sure if it was male or female, as the feathers were a bit indeterminate; brown near the head end with a brown beak but rather blacker at the back end. I put some suet and mealworm food out for it, but it didn't seem to realise it was food, so just carried on digging around in the earth. Lovely encounter.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 21 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young un

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 21 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting piece on feeding birds in the garden in the Grauniad - certainly food for thought, if you'll pardon the pun.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 21 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw that, i have lots of sparrows and a healthy blackbird family, very few of the "popular" ones, but they do pop in looking for invertebrates now and again.

overall i recon they do better with supplemental feeding in a cat free restaurant

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 21 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem for species like marsh tits is lack of nest sites. Most trees are kept 'tidy' in urban environments, which limits their nest sites. Houses made without holes limit nest sites for house sparrows etc. As the report concludes, more work needs to be done on the effects of feeding, but some of the species mentioned are more woodland than urban birds, and so more likely to stay near people, whereas the woodland birds tend to find more congenial homes.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 21 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two sammisons, we have not exchanged formal introductions so far and are not on first name terms, it will happen.

mrs S is nearly as wide as she is long, close to gravid by the look of her, hope she does not need a midmouse as that would be a new one for me

they have set up in the wood shed thing, which seems ok again after being de ratted and cleaned of vicious chilli

snaps will happen, these things are well cute

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 21 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as promised

may i introduce mr sammi sammison, we have got to know each other a little, he seems a decent chap and mentioned that mrs mouse is a bit shy, and rather "round" to do much socializing at the moment

ps , handheld papped, big posh lens pulled out to 350mm, f9, 1600th s, iso 15000 ish
about 2 meters range, moderate light, not much tweaking apart from crop and size

when i decide on which ones i got a few of kinetic birds as well, flight is fun but take off and landing stuff is awesome

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 21 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

committed

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 21 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 21 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures - looks like you're getting the hang of this photography lark!

Shane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 21 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a shot I got a couple of weeks back of my mother's resident greater spotted woodpecker in her garden in Devon:

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 21 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good snap, getting beasts to vogue in the right place is an interesting game
nice to actually see one, my woodpecker sightings need less than a hand of fingers to count
for 9 years we had about a crusty to every 1.5 acres of sloping woodland, even with fox charmers and bird tamers among us we never eyeballed one, although their sounds and works proved the place was full of them, we reckoned at least two species from the sound, size and style of pecking in trees

handsome birds, as are the green ones, tricky to see even if sharing a tree with one, lesser spotted might not be about the feathers

there are a few round here, i hear the pecking and know a few feeding trees but when they have been located they always seem to be the other side of the tree a case of can't see the pecker for the wood, which might confuse the cousins, but sort of works in engulund enlish:lol:

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 21 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures. Glad the Sammisons are back. Lesser spotted woodpecker was seen feeding on a feeder down the road from the woods, so pretty sure we have greater and lesser spotted (former rarely, latter never spootte) and green by the cry.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 21 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrs hammi sammison has a slightly reduced tail about half an inch, which is much less than stumpi sammison had

i did consider that tubbsi may be her name, but the fat arse/no tail league of gentlemen local shop reference was thought to be far too rude a way to refer to a mousy

anecdote rather than data , maybe more than one in ten have had a tail loss trauma and survived

it might reduce steering capacity at high speed and make climbing more difficult
they seem to survive the injury and healing, at least sometimes, and continue pretty much in the same way as their fully tailed chums

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 21 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose mice use their tails for balance, but are they so essential to ordinary mice? I know harvest mice tails are prehensile, and they would find it very difficult without, and dormice use theirs partly to keep warm in winter, and probably for balance while climbing. As people seem to find ways round losing limbs, I would think mice would find ways of managing with only a partial tail by altering their balance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 107 of 189
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive