Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 22 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wildlife were laughing at me so i papped these

full fat has more details

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 22 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar technique for far off and flying, be it live or metal

the big glass could have caught more detail, it is harder to swing

full fat has a lot more detail even with the GP lens at about 95mm

i need to practise with moving stuff

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 22 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cropping the "waste space" gives more detail with limited Mp

for wildlife plenty of Mp is best, but even low fat and a tiny portion can be made to show relevant details

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 22 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot DPack, you did well because I bet they were fairly shifting. Do you know what sort of birds they are?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 22 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estimate 300mph, ht 10050 ft with the aloww simulating ground hugging, a couple of miles off long ways

2 AIM, 1 chunky missile( maybe a harm?), 2 500lb dumb bombs, all those are practice ordinance put on the racks to get used to flying a load and perhaps delivering it on the dry fire range up north

iirc they are tornados from the training group, they get better at it during a "class of" top gun sort of school over about 9 months

their last lessons involve "grown ups" playing "laser quest" with a hawk, tis funny to watch in a crocodile with wildebeests sort of way

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 22 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info DPack. They are great to watch. We get all sorts flying past the hotel, so when I'm up there and if I hear them coming I try and get a snap. Never got any of the jets yet, as they are there and gone before I've had time to snap them but here are a few photos of ones I have managed to take.

Last edited by sgt.colon on Wed Sep 14, 22 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 22 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look more like Typhoons than Tornados to me, dpack

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 22 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silly me, used a previous fast jet name, tornados were the last ones, these are the current issue ones as sold to saudi as well as used here

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 22 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they use Harm or Alarm, which is the British version?

Odd sort of wildlife.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 22 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea what AR system they use, the birds were hiding from the one i was trying to snap, the big birds made a lot of noise which helped locate, predict and track them for the snaps, 10000ft is very unhealthy if anyone has a "camera" on the ground

some snaps of grin working would have been better

gz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 22 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had a lot of military freight, and pairs of Chinook helicopters flying around here...the normal wildlife does go rather quiet with those noisy efforts around

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 22 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't had so many of late years, but once a helicopter nearly took the tops out of the trees at the bottom of the wood where we were working. They have been a bit more circumspect round here since one frightened a horse in the local country park and the rider was injured. The RAF denied it could have been flying that low until the part number taken from the underside was read out to them.

Went to a Royal Forestry Society meeting at the estate son did his work placement on years ago. Mainly concentrated on plantation, but the head forester rather likes less usual trees, so saw planted wild service and true service trees, the latter also known as Whitty pear. There are 4 pars of barn owls nesting on the estate of which 3 produced young this year.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 22 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very quiet outside
the sparrows have no need to be up early, they have very extended territories
no little birds "sing"

full wipe out of multiple species

i am very ******* far from ok

if this is as widespread across species, as i suspect from the local area extinctions, the avian ecosystem is very different in any places similar to here that had the extreme heat event

woodland etc might have had a different response to challenge, here it was a mass extinction event

gz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 22 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our wee shouty bird has returned to the dawn chorus... although it isn't much of a chorus now.
Listened to Out of Doors on radio Scotland and heard it as their Mystery Bird..a Dunnock!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 22 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I heard one in the wood earlier in the year Gz. I couldn't definitely identify the song, but sounded the nearest.

Dpack, I think the birds will build up again. A lot died in the cold winter of 62/3, but built up again over the next few years. Now isn't a good time of year to hear birds anyway as they don't have to defend territories, and if there are fewer of them, they won't have to defend feeding territories.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 143 of 192
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive