Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 19 7:57 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

there are a selection of mini snails in the yard, dog wee is a brutal sample method but it is quite educational as to what random victims show up in the biodiversity record.
on a happier note mini snails are doing well in the bramble bed and assorted tubs n crevices.

i should learn more about mini snails but so far with a little help some have names.
since i introduced the anti slug nematodes and developed a hedge base soil the mini snails have thrived.

a lot of spp for such a small space, 12' by 2 ' 5 spp so far

most with names so far seem to be riverside / flood plain spp which is to be expected, there are quite a few i still need to id

in the immediate area there are rather a lot of varieties of snails, many of which i have not seen elsewhere.
some of the winkle sized stripey jobbers that live on snail wall are either very variable or there are a lot of spp/sub spp.

the geology and architecture are snail friendly and we have had a lot of trade over a couple of millennia.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 19 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

the sammison sagas continue with some happy news of several new members of the family.

fousands of em.
not quite, maybe half a dozen it is hard to tell until you get to know them by name but they do scuttle about like fousands.

they seem to be darkish like mrs sammison and just as plump

chompy is somewhat taken aback by more than one at a time

bird town is a bit quiet most of the time with the odd "coach party " of visitors and a few of the regulars

there was a conclave of crow parliaments a week or so ago and since then the 120 or so local ones are still having a party .

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 19 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Our rooks have been silent since the peregrine took over their pylon tower, but we have some pigeons, and a robin. Sadly the front door robin seems to have gone, and the new owner of the territory isn't so keen on coming to be fed.

In the woods we have heard blackbirds, and possibly a marsh tit. Great and bluetits around in both garden and woods, and long tailed tits visit us in the woods fairly frequently. I think they may nest there. Tawny owls are in evidence in the afternoons too, and have seen several deer over the last few days.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 19 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Think we heard a turtle dove and a black cap in the woods yesterday. The odd bluebell coming up in bud, but not too many yet, so hope they will hold off until at least early April.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive