Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 18 6:03 am    Post subject: Wildlife Reply with quote

We have a bluetit nesting in the unused front forks of the tractor, a wren nesting in part of the timber frame for the firewood processor, another one nesting in the top of the wood store and a bumble bees nest in another part of the timber frame. Not sure about the wrens, but judging by the was the adult bluetits are going backwards and forwards, they have young in the nest. Not sure how they are going to get out as they are a long way down a diagonal tube, but the parents seem to manage it at high speed.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 18 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit different to our starlings under next door's roof tiles and jackdaws in next door the other way's roof (he mended the eaves' ends, but felt roof tiles and wood are no match for a strong determined beak )

Plenty of gulls around too, but I'm not sure where they'd be nesting. They have plenty of arguments with the Jacks and crows.

The blackbirds in next door's laurel bush seem to be keeping their heads down for much of the time (probably due to their avian neighbours), but its good to see them and a few sparrows on the lawn. I hear them at dawn ( 4.30 am ) but I'm not inclined to take a look at that time!

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 18 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harvest mice in the compost/wood store
lots of avian restaurant customers (see below )
lots of invertebrates

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 18 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for new issue Great Tits, Blue Tits and Great Spotted Woodpeckers to arrive at the feeders. Can't be long, I think.

Judging by the sounds from the sky, new issue Buzzards are about.

We've had baby Rooks for some time - I think they must be independent now as the number of "Feed Me" cries has drastically reduced.

There was a baby Rabbit at the end of the drive a few days ago - I think it had probably been hit a glancing blow by a car, it was just on the edge of the road.

Henry

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 18 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wondering where our newly arrived swallows had gone...found that the people next door but one had knocked off the nests
At least some have decamped to neighbour over the road's garage...

buzzy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 18 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if on cue, baby Great Tits sitting in the hedge waiting for food from mum and dad who are dashing madly backwards and forwards with beaks full of peanuts.

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 18 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last evening one of the sammy mouse family discovered the delight of coconut yogurt ( from a remnants of a hoverfly rescue:roll: ) from the pot a couple of feet from me.

a bit jumpy at first but it soon realised i was a good cat repellent .

the sparrows trust me with their children ( as do several other species )

a big garden is nice but in a very small yard it is easy to get to know the wildlife chums with birds and mice is good, the first deal with most vermin ( and the worm surplus ) and the latter are charming ( and a canary in the mine if we develop another rat issue )

iirc somebody said to discover a new species study a square yard of your garden, well so far i have found some fairly rare snails and learnt quite a lot of names for assorted invertebrates but nowt with no id as yet

buzzy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 18 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young Tawny Owl calling for food, last night and the night before. (In the trees in the garden)

Henry

buzzy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 18 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the baby Great Tits are feeding themselves, but others are still being fed by adults - probably more than one brood.

Baby Great Spotted Woodpeckers feeding themselves.

Still waiting for baby Blue Tits to appear.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 18 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the baby blue tits was near the top of the tube on Thursday and hogging all the food. Hopefully the others did get a look in. Think they will soon be out. I like seeing the baby wrens in the wood; mother is in the undergrowth calling youngsters to her as I walk along a path, and they are quite unconcerned and don't see me as a threat at all.

I expect the robin in the garden to produce some young at some point as he has been hopping round getting insects virtually from under my feet. Think it may be the young one from last year that I saw growing a red breast.

buzzy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 18 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Blue Tits arrived at the feeders yesterday.

Baby Great Tits and baby Great Spotted Woodpecker still visiting regularly.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 18 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Henry.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 18 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to our usual place looking for bee orchids. Lots of pyramid, and found rock rose and milkwort, but no bee orchids. Anyone know if they are late this year, or is it a bad year for them?

buzzy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 18 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Tawny Owl calling at dusk last night, and still calling this morning. Maybe its parents have said "Get your own food!"

Henry

PS I'll ask around about the Bee Orchids

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 18 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry.

It must be about the time of year when young birds have to find their own food, so you could be right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 1 of 189
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive