About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Boasting Slightly
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 19 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to hearing more about his biochar system (hopefully with some photos too).

Good luck with the rodding.... we have our fair share of it in Portugal because the damn pipes don't have much of a fall and the pipes are realistically too small in diameter.... grrrrrrrr Builder & plumber should be shot.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 19 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re drains:

if basic stuff like rods, dye and eyeball cannot sort out what the problem is spending a couple of hundred quid on a camera survey can establish if the original can be fixed or if it can't.

camera lads usually also have serious pressure kit . moles etc and experience.

time and money spent on intel is almost never wasted especially with pipes
replace or mend is best decided before you get the digger out

if the apparent problem is under a roadway there is a high chance it is a crushed pipe. knowing where to dig might help but if one bit goes the rest might well follow

it might be a lump/s of something ( see rods jets etc ) roots or any of the other things that end up in drains
2 toy cars and a couple of sacks of coal was one i dealt with when we eventually found where it had settled

best advice is find your local " dirty Dean " phone em up and get a pro survey of the issues.
it usually works out cheaper and faster to start with a pro in the team

drains are a nightmare until you have enough intel for a sensible plan

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 19 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just get the small stuff that is useful for biochar as a by-product. We haven't really got an outlet for it as our attempts at sale haven't been very successful, but I do know that Wimbledon has a lot of it under their courts as someone from Dorset that we know sold them a few tons a while back.

It seems to be the in thing at the moment as far as toothpaste, soap etc goes. I am wondering about trying a little soap; just buying a small amount of the ''cast your own' stuff for home use. Judging by the colour son in particular ends up after working with the kiln (he still seems to attract dirt even though he is nearly 40), I am not sure if it is a good idea or not.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 19 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My final pepper plant has now tipped off its mortal coil.

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 19 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
re drains:

if basic stuff like rods, dye and eyeball cannot sort out what the problem is spending a couple of hundred quid on a camera survey can establish if the original can be fixed or if it can't.

camera lads usually also have serious pressure kit . moles etc and experience.

time and money spent on intel is almost never wasted especially with pipes
replace or mend is best decided before you get the digger out

if the apparent problem is under a roadway there is a high chance it is a crushed pipe. knowing where to dig might help but if one bit goes the rest might well follow

it might be a lump/s of something ( see rods jets etc ) roots or any of the other things that end up in drains
2 toy cars and a couple of sacks of coal was one i dealt with when we eventually found where it had settled

best advice is find your local " dirty Dean " phone em up and get a pro survey of the issues.
it usually works out cheaper and faster to start with a pro in the team

drains are a nightmare until you have enough intel for a sensible plan

Thanks but we know what the problem is and unfortunately, it would take a lot of demolition work to fix it. We have managed to finally sort out the 'fat-berg' left to us by the previous owner but the pipe diameter is still a problem. The loos have these super economic water saving slushes, which unfortunately, don't help the problems.... so that will be top of the list in terms of changes. Whilst, I appreciate the need to save water, there also needs to be enough water going through the pipes to prevent blockages...... especially as I am not good with smells!

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 19 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
My final pepper plant has now tipped off its mortal coil.

Oh dear! better luck next year... or maybe cheat and get a grafted pepper plant or two?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid I had to buy a couple, but they seem to be doing all right. I still have 2 surviving of the ones I sowed, but they were so far behind I added a couple more. I seem to have some courgettes and squashes set on the greenhouse plants, but whether they will come to anything I don't know yet.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a funny old year.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has for certain things, others are romping. I think I'm just about to get a glut of peas. Om nom nom.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummmmmmmy! Pea, chorizo & mint risotto is a very worthy use! Make sure you chuck in the peas right at the end and stir through the mint on serving. Oddly enough, dried mint works better than fresh in this dish.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds lush, Shan and now I'm really hungry.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always hungry.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, Shan, biochar is the small twigs up to a max of 2"diameter and after the burn you land up with small charcoal and ash. I will have a go at getting some photos taken and see if someone can post them, when we have another 'go' reducing the trees by the house. Failing that I will see if he can take photos and print them off and send them to you and you can post if possible.
I am hopeless at this modern technology. I spent 6 months on one of the lesson guides which was only supposed to take 4 weeks! I suppose the fact that I am not taken up with this new stuff means I don't walk into people or obstacles on the pavement!

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 19 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phones should have 1 big button for answering and hanging up calls and numbers for dialling. Everything else is unnecessary! People laugh at me because I use a paper calendar instead of my phone!

Thanks Gregotyn. I was hoping for photos of your friend's set up in terms of planting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive