links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
hello from the darkside
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 19 11:50 pm    Post subject: hello from the darkside Reply with quote

this dpack message is now being delivered via a rather new machine which so far has been reasonably easy to get working .

gulp, the last time I got a "new" one was about ten years ago, when it broke I went back to scrapheap challenge and the steampunk server still has many good points.

this thing has doubled my , bad , typing speed in minutes and has some rather nice touchy feely stuff as well

the os and the machine seem to work well together, an os that can have a chat with me is nice so long as it is helpful and not intrusive

I need to carry on setting up and learning what it can and should not do but so far I rather like it

it does have some top end abilities and seems quite instinctive, I think I got it to liase with my phone which is a bit of a new situation and I got here with adblock , ghosty and scholar that I put on the "local " browser.

tomorrow is another day

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 19 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how I turn it off

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 19 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DPack's new machine, welcome to DS

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 19 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
I wonder how I turn it off

I have just acquired my first smartphone and at 12:30 this morning I was trying to stop 3 pieces of music playing simultaneously on face book, had to pass it to my PA.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 19 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was far easier than going from phone to smartphone.

best advice I have re smart phone is ask somebody under 35 yo, it is my goto of choice, I don't worry about the " hey ho old folk look " if it gets it working.

at least ds is relatively easy to migrate from one machine to another, some things require remembering ( or looking in the book * )for passwords.

* individual strong online passwords are hard to steal directly and only have one use
remembering them is hard to impossible but few folk burgle for passwords and a multi use/easy one is easy to steal online and use.

many, decent ones and write em down is pretty secure .
you can put them in a password safe but that is more likely to be compromised than a scruffy note book in a pile of stuff

I don't know if phones do it but the if this machine is missing shall I find it option seems sensible.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 19 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can do that with phones DPack. I think some people even use it to locate their kids.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 19 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try to set the phone for that as well , thanks.

tech I love it but it always surprises me with simple but unknown features when I upgrade a couple of generations in one jump

today is mostly try to get the camera to chat to the pooter n phone but first I need to migrate some passwords and bookmarks from Linux firefox to this machine which might or might not be simple. it probable won't be if i'm doing it

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 19 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello from switzerland

internet explorer and bing were getting tiresome even if ie is good at liasing with lots of devices and common apps it is crude and the limited search engines thing is bad

this is firefox with duckduckgo and a rather neat proxy , tis a trial of the full one at the mo but if the free version has a few decent ones that helps a lot with some things .

i don't usually need to be somewhere else but it is handy at times.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 19 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello from japan

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 19 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that has gone for the mo, i know where to find it if i need it

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 19 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you enjoyed your trip around the world?

If I remember rightly, in Firefox you can unmask your passwords somewhere in the settings.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 19 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will have to fire up the steampunk server and migrate them

thanks

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 20 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[urlhttps://www.scribd.com/document/460161101/Cygnus-Redacted-Annex-01scribd-Redactedv3#download&from_embed] cygnus redacted [/url]

i want to read the cabinet office minutes.

Slim

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 20 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can setup a Firefox account and all your everything in it is anywhere you use it.

Might be worth switching to a password manager like last pass however, and leave the Firefox account for saving bookmarks.

It strikes me that you would appreciate the capabilities of zotero if you haven't played with that before now

For ad blocking you may want to checkout unlock origin

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 20 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive