that will inform me of which parts of the SAGE documents are most relevant

dpack

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 20 3:44 pm    Post subject: speed Reply with quote

Download Speed:
84.35 Mbps
IPv4
Upload Speed:
20.17 Mbps

not bad considering we have a domestic link that boasts "up to a bit less than half that"

it did go wrong a few times a while back and i persuaded the nice (3rd)engineer to fix it, they did by attaching it physically to a decent link, and designating it to me, in the green box thing, 50m away, with wires in it

it still seems fixed after a couple of years

the reason i mention it is that although there has been a massive increase in home working/ home ents etc the speeds have gone up a little since march.

i suspect there is plenty of capacity in the network for homeworking/business if it is deployed to homes.

an interesting thought with implications for doing things more wisely

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that should be better, with some help from tt i seem to have put all the snaps+inprogress PS ones onto an 8 Tb external and culled a load of stuff from the SSD while retaining all the folders of day to day snaps

close on 0.7 of a TB has been culled from the SSD so hopefully everything will be nice again

the last MS update was a final straw for disk space but it did need doing anyway
next is making sure none of the redundant or intrusive MS stuff is lurking and eating time/space etc.

something i like about linux is that although all the basics are packaged there are no intrusive or redundant things and it is easy to add the components of software you need, pity it does not run hardcore progs like adobe creative stuff very well,if at all.

for a standard work or home pooter linux is a good option, if you want to run pc games or pro quality creative tools it has to be MS or Mac

Shane

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 20 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep separate harddrives for operating system/applications and photos/videos. Probably not an option for your setup, but mine was a self-build, so I designed it with speed in mind. I have a NVME SSD integrated into the motherboard for OS + apps, so it starts up almost instantly, have two mirrored 1TB SSD hard drives for general storage, and a dedicated 1TB SSD scratch drive for heavy photo/video editing. Everything is backed up on an external 16 TB drive, set up as 2 x 8TB mirrors, and I copy everything to an external hard drive whenever we go back to our respective folks' places and leave it hidden away there until the next time when it gets swapped out.

Maybe a little paranoid, but I figure all the backups in the house are no good if we have a fire/water damage/building collapse/military "event".

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 20 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still in the darkside but between us we managed to cull half a Tb or so that is now on the external should i wish to return to it

i can remember when 200Mg was an ambition

Shane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 20 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloke I knew back in the very early 90s had the registration number "DRS 64K", with the 64K being the amount of memory in his palm device. That was absolutely top of the range in those days, hence him feeling the need to shout about it.

You'll notice I said "bloke I knew" and not "bloke I liked".

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 20 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first pooter i saw in the , not flesh, big whirring grey box was where my dad worked in the late 1960's.
it did data entry via punched cards and produced its results in the same form

bit of an overkill in a medium sized firm making sugar extractors and industrial laundry equipment,
looking back on it, at the time i thought it "normal" "white heat of technology " etc
since then i have found out that alongside that stuff they also had a long history of covert gov contracts, the built the x craft submarines did stuff for tube alloys and were making centrifuges/ agitators etc for sellafield so that overkill makes sense in that context
the machine was pretty similar to the stuff nasa had and no longer seems "normal" for a medium sized engineering works

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 20 12:19 pm    Post subject: what fun Reply with quote

the naming of things

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 7:40 am    Post subject: OOPS Reply with quote

some of us write passwords down to avoid this sort of thing

although the irish growman mentioned in a linked story did, he failed to secure his password list securely

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 21 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: OOPS Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
some of us write passwords down to avoid this sort of thing

although the irish growman mentioned in a linked story did, he failed to secure his password list securely

this seemed so relevant to many aspects of life i gave it its own thread, apologies for the double post

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 21 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why monkeys are banned

oops wrong place but still rather fun, and sort of relevant

every tail needs a password

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 21 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 21 10:05 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

fluffy or scary?

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 21 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least that one doesn't have a gun on it (yet)

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 21 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those things have potential

so does the right sort of monkey wrench

the "arnie" thread may provide a few indirect clues as to what may be useful tactics

motive matters, such kit could be used in many ways.

if, it is a big if, it was aware it may make a selfish choice, it may not

overall peeps are far more scary than the bots they have made so far

parcour and dancing are ace engineering, i hope they are put to good use

if not tangle mangle dangle etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive