Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Landscaping project
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 21 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 inch deep post hole, a little less than I'd normally do, but took it to just over the height of the door. The hinge post is pretty deep.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 21 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 21 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes piles are a pita, sometimes they make for a quiet life

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 21 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taping the roof and examining the bank, there's a sodding great hole that needs filling.
Seems to have been a haphazard mix of concrete and timbers. Logic might suggest that at one point the timbers formed a wall but there's no suggestion of anything that might of given the wall substance.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 21 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm

slippery slopes and holes

pull it out , do it well

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 21 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if they may just have bulldozed any waste into the hole and not compacted it in any way. Afraid you are going to have to stabilise that.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 21 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guttering has gone on nicely.
The first picture is a bit dated, but idea is lots of rebar lots of concrete, creating some solid retention.
Cement was out of stock at B&Q though, seems building supplies are flying out the door.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 21 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you run out of rebar, railway track, trashed bikes and chicken wire are a good substitute

huge industrial tool bits etc are a bonus

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 21 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was 12 buckets of ballast filling voids. Sorry but this is not a single pour scenario I will rely on the rebar to help out.
I wanted to stabilise before excavating a bit more and adding a load more concrete.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 21 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good plan, stable and work on is sensible

jumpers for goal posts, oil drums for tunnel shields etc

do you have a post driver? and some man high bits of thickish rebar?
if so, that sort of thing is useful

outside the box for rebar but scaff tube cut at an angle, start with a long un, one cut= 2 lengths and 2 points, they will drive into most things with a post driver, weave a bit of mesh rebar stuff into it, if it is pegged and heavy it should be stable

iirc i used that somewhere to keep the road and garden out of the kitchen

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 21 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a post drive unfortunately, but some of that rebar (you can't see it all) is going down 1m and more.
What will be there after the next pour is something I seriously struggle to see going anywhere.
A lot comes back to the mystery of what was there? there's the concrete plinth with the void beneath, there's all the seriously large beams showing no sign of having been attached to anything
What I do know is that anyone trying to undo what will be there, will be under no illusions about things being "attached"

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 21 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep is good with the rebar for that sort of job, is that stuff ex garden or builders rubbish or maybe even cheap"hardcore"out of a wagon?

my auntie's drive needed 2.5 cu m of concrete to replace the paint tins and paper cement sacks

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 21 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there is such a steep drop from your house to the marsh, I wonder if they just bulldozed the slope to make a flat area for the house and didn't compact it.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 21 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
As there is such a steep drop from your house to the marsh, I wonder if they just bulldozed the slope to make a flat area for the house and didn't compact it.

they might have done it with a wheelbarrow and a pair of boots

the first rule of peakerland is never ask about peakerland

i will share and if he ever reads this he will know his lawyers could never make defamation stick.

a long time ago when i was between access and foundation at art school i had a summer to fill and wanted to get fit/earn money
working for a chum of a chum doing a bit of drystone repairs and foundations for school portacabins was fun but after that i worked on peakerland for a short while

new build, small, T shaped, 10 house site on a slope

wow

as it was to be a tarmac space for 6 cars, extending the lowest drop off slope by a car park length did not seem too wrong even if the thing had no chance of becoming stable

steeper slope than jema's , foundation excavation spoil(mostly clay)with some carp

no compaction until tarmac

the underming a neighbours house to dig a drive, badly and big style, on a steep slope, over a weekend when i was not there was a step too far, i had a hissy fit leading to structural engineering professor, trashing the end wall of his rubbish newbuild house as part of the anchors for two wagons of scaff and acrows to create a brace for a tall gable end that was sitting on the edge of a bit of very wet clay, when i finished clipping it i told him i was off, dont bother paying me what you owe for that

next door had already started to slide and their insurance company was rather fierce
the remedial concrete and rebar etc the prof insisted on to stabilise their house got done, not by me but i did eyeball it out of interest

second rule of peakerland, dont ask
i was only there a couple of weeks and there are more stories
11000v anyone?

calling them cowboys is unfair to cowboys

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 21 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:

Not as I understand things.
I think there was a far shallower slope and at some point or rather points an owner shipped in tonnes of rubble and tonnes of soil.
as you can gather I have excavated all over the garden and I never have a clue what I might find.
Originally I have been told that between my plot and next doors there was meant to be an extra bungalow, but they looked at the subsidence and thought better of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 40 of 49
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive